Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Cost of using car charging (Chargepoint, Blink etc.)

Kiros

I just used a Chargepoint charger in the Bellevue Square Mall in Seattle. The L2 charge took around 2 1/2 hours, and cost a little over $5. You see where I'm going here, $5 for 21 miles of electric driving is not going to promote the use of EVs. As I was about to remove the cable a woman that was driving past stopped and asked how much it was to fill up. When I told her, she asked how far can you go then, I then told her 21 miles and she said frowned and said 'oh'. Is it just high here in the Seattle area? That would surprise me as I believe Washington has some of the lowest electric costs in the country. Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

For the Michigan area, I intentionally poked through a lot of charging stations just to find one that DID make you pay... and I found one in Detroit next to the Ren Cen in a garage that charges up to 6 dollars for usage (2 bucks to plug in plus a dollar an hour up to 6 bucks).  NOT worth it.  They go by time, not by how much you withdraw, which I think is poor design.  Charge 50 cents per KWh if you're greedy... at least then my car won't exceed 3 bucks where a Tesla may wind up costing $43.50.  THAT seems fair... not charging me 6 bucks and a Tesla 6 bucks.

My company uses ChargePoint and charges 50 cents per KWh.  Not the best deal around, but still cheaper than gas.  There are a bunch of free chargers in the area at malls, groceries and restaurants.  The local Trader Joe's just opened an EVgo station.  For Level 2 charging, EVgo quoted me an annual fee of $60 for unlimited charging.  Since I only know of 2 EVgo chargers in the area, I'm not likely to sign up.

Hi, we signed up with Blink in the Portland OR area.  They charge $1.00 per hour hook up time at 240 volt.  So that would cost 2.50 providing you unhooked right away when charged.  So that doesn't seem like an encouragement ot me to refill at charge stations unless they are free.  Whenever you drive by a charge station you just don't see cars hooked up.  Now when Ford changes the cars over to 400v DC we might have something going then.

ChargePoint stations are individually owned. In Austin, the only way to go is the $25 for 6 months unlimited card offered by the city. I think they, CP, recommend either by KWh (< .30) or no more than $1/hour or people won't use them. Most of the City owned stations have the default $2/hour regardless of speed, so unless you get the city card you will not charge there unless you are a seriously desperate EV only car (imagine a 6+ hour L1 charge).

I charge myself $1 to use the L2 charger in my garage and the public $2.  ;-)

Edited by shaggy314

50 cents per KWh is a lot.  If it takes 7 KWh to fill up, that is $3.50 for 21 miles which is less than a gallon of gas will give you in this car.

R

Yeah, I know and I've been watching the charges.  So far, the maximum charge has been $2.39 for 4.882 KWh and I could've sworn that I rolled in to the garage on hybrid.  Maybe not. I've been getting 23-25 miles on a charge, up to 29 if I have the air off and windows open.  The way traffic is around here, it's rare when you can crank it up to 55-60 on the beltway, so I get pretty good battery performance.

• 2 weeks later...

i figured with ours that i'd only pay for charging if i couldn't find parking. and the most ill pay is $1 an hour. im a member of blink and chargepoint.

Agreed, anything more than $1 an hour is more than its worth to me.

However, I can see why they would charge more than that given the cost of electricity, hardware and infrastructure investment. 

I tried using one of the L2 chargers at the Market/San Pedro parking garage in downtown San Jose today.

It took about 2 hours and 20 mins to fully charge.  6.858 kwh.

They charge $1/hr, and I got to the car about 10 mins after it stopped charging, so it cost $2.50.  That's about in the same ballpark as the price of gas, so OK, no great shakes, but at least that's gas I'm not using.

The sweet part is that in San Jose, you get to park for free if you get the city PHEV permit.  That makes it a lot more cost-effective if you don't already have free parking.

• 2 months later...

My work has the Blink Network. They charge per hour. Unfortunately for Ford Fusion Energi owners that doesn't work out very well. That's because the Energi will take a maximum charge of 3.3KW. Our blink chargers used to get 30amps which provides 6+ KW charging. However they have been cut down to 25amps. Other vehicles can charge at a much faster rate, and when you're paying by the hour that makes a huge difference.

Joseph Elwell.

3.3 KW?  Isn't the battery 7.6 KW?  I ask only because I today got my first electric bill since getting my Energi - $350.  While I signed over to SDG&E's EVTOU-2 rate plan the day I got the car, they seem to be taking their sweet time in changing my billing.  So, instead of paying $0.16/kWh, I paid $0.36/kWh.  Called to complain - only to be told that it takes 2 months for the switch to happen.  So, the 22 mile range cost me $2.736 (7.6*0.36) - whereas gas would cost me 22/43*3.89, or $1.99 (based on 43 mpg).  For now, gas is cheaper, at least in San Diego under Tier 4 (over over 641 kWh/mo).  Seems like they want to gouge their customers for two months of higher energy costs for the privilege of owning an EV.  Once I finally get the EVTOU-2 plan, it will drop to $1.216 per charge, which is better than gas.  Fortunately, there is a shopping center 3 miles away that has a free PEP charging station...

SDG&E sucks...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found the worst rate for charging at a public charging station.  You'd DEFINITELY want to race out there after you get that text alert stating your charge is complete, IF you'd even want to plug in to this thing.  When I go to my event at the end of the month over there, I'll just take the regular parking garages.  Fortunately one of them has 8 stations that are free.  For now.  Hope at least 1 will be available.

BTW - the blue ring you see is a new feature added for the website (seems to show your driving range now).

[image removed to recover some space]

Edited by Russael

3.3 KW?  Isn't the battery 7.6 KW?  

So, the 22 mile range cost me $2.736 (7.6*0.36) - whereas gas would cost me 22/43*3.89, or $1.99 (based on 43 mpg).

SDG&E sucks...

Although you got your end number about correct, the numbers you are using are not completely accurate...

The total battery is 7.6KW, but the EV part of the battery is only 5.4KW. The remaining part is the Hybrid battery. This smaller part of the battery, will never be discharged to 0%, so most of the time your are filling up part of the small battery and the complete big battery. In terms of the actual cost you have to include the electricity used to run the fan to keep the batteries cool while being charge. Someone calculate this waste at about 20% for Level 2 charge and 40% Level 1 charge.

So in your case above (assuming a completely empty small and big batteries) your actual cost will be 7.6 * 1.2 or 1*4 * your electricity rate or $3.28 for Level 2 or $3.83 for Level 1. But I argue that most of the time you only charge the big battery, therefore the actual number is closer to $2.33 for Level 2 or $2.72 for Level 1.

My fully discharged big battery charges in 5:50 minutes using the Level 1 charger that came with the car.

Regards,

APM

Thanks APM.  Since my post, I have had a L2 charger installed and SDG&E has moved me to the EVTOU2 plan.  So, my midnight-5am rate is $.16.  Unfortunately, being hardwired, I can't readily measure the electrical use per charge (nor do I know of a 240 "kill-a-watt".  Got home last night in EV+ mode, with EV at 0 and "hybrid" at about 1/3 full.  Charged in 2 hours, 10 minutes.  If I use your numbers above, and assumed that it fully charges the hybrid battery (which I am not sure of) I probably used 1.0 * 5.4 + .67 * 1.2, or 6.2 kW.  Cost would be 6.2*1.2*.16 or $1.19.  Much better...  Assuming just the 5.4 kW, it would be $1.04.

• 1 month later...

This is one of the few places I have seen discussion of three batteries (energi, hybrid, and 14v).  Very helpful.  When I bought I was under the impression that the energy batteri was relatively standalone: it didn't regenerate, that was only for the hybrid.  Similarly, one might wonder whether the plug in system (designed for the Fusion Energi alone) charged the hybrid battery.  

I'd love to hear the smart gals and guys on that one.  

The 14v is a bit clearer; it charges after the main (energi?) battery is full.

user "amp" thanks for opening up this facet.

There is actually only 1 big battery, but it operates in 2 modes - Energi and Hybrid.  The battery is 7.6kwh, and I believe it allocates ~5.5KWh to plain discharge use and uses an additional 1.4kwh of that to run the car in hybrid mode.  If you arrive home with a completely discharged big battery and have it almost depleted for hybrid mode too, you'll see over 6KWh of energy used to recharge that battery according to MyFordMobile.

If you're going down a long stretch of downhill road, and because battery capacity is much higher in the Energi than it is in the Hybrid, it can actually come out of hybrid mode and go back in to Energi mode since it has the available storage.

And yes, the 12V battery charges once the car completes charging the big battery.  It's usually only a quick top off since the car uses a DC to DC converter to run all of the accessories while you're driving it around.