Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Where is the Microphone?

Rhyalus

I think those are for the noise cancellation feature.  If there were that many mics in the car it wouldn't have a hard time understanding my commands on the Hwy with the windows down.  In my 2010 I believe it was behind some cutout slots just to the right of the steering wheel.

I'm thinking it is in the rear view mirror housing but I'm having trouble picturing it right now.

I think those are for the noise cancellation feature.  If there were that many mics in the car it wouldn't have a hard time understanding my commands on the Hwy with the windows down.  In my 2010 I believe it was behind some cutout slots just to the right of the steering wheel.

I'm thinking it is in the rear view mirror housing but I'm having trouble picturing it right now.

Yeah maybe so... I remember it was behind the mirror in my 2010, but then remembered a post from someone else that this was moved to the headliner after the 2010 model, or halfway through it.  So I went and looked at the headliner and yes saw those items that appeared to be microphones, but maybe you're right that they are for noise cancellation, I don't know.

Anyway, here is what the owner's manual says: "Be aware that SYNC's microphone is either in your rear view mirror or in the headliner just above the windshield."

I think 1 is noise cancelling and the other is for Sync.  There appears to be 2 side by side by the dome lights.  There is also a MIC over the driver's head, another over passenger, and another in the back somewheres.

There is also a grill mark looking thing by the right side of the steering column, but I believe that is the interior temperature probe.  My 1999 Expedition has one in the same place.

A search on www.fordparts.com for "microphone" yields results all described as 'mobile phone microphone'.  This part is the microphone located in the controls behind the rear view mirror:  http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=7VpMvGU%2b5Cw6TxVbBRo2Ig%3d%3d&id=240324847&m=44&search=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Fusion

It doesn't specifically say "sync" or "noise cancellation" on any of the parts.  It does say there are 3 per vehicle.  Whereas this part shows to have 1 per vehicle:  http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=ZFZSjeiW6zRJ%2bUuxzaKiJQ%3d%3d&id=239537537&m=44&search=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Fusion

Based on the diagrams I'm starting to think they've confused the two a little at least with regard to the in-vehicle quantities.  The part shown to be behind the rear view has a quantity three, but the 2nd one shown to be in the headliner on the side says only quantity 1.  It would make more sense if those were reversed.  I think it makes more sense that the more expensive part, DA5Z-19A391-A at $44.86, is the sync microphone and is located behind the rear view mirror.  And the DS7Z-19A391-B at $27.09 are the three cabin noise cancelling units seen in the headliner behind the 'buttons'. 

My thoughts anyway.