Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sync summer update Gen2 v3.6 nearly available

47Minutes

• 1 month later...

The most noticeable thing is improved voice commands.   When you use voice commands, it now brings up a window with suggestions on what you can say.  I haven't had time to fully explore it.   You will have to re-pair the phone and restore your settings.  It takes a long time to install.  You have to disable the auto engine turn-off option on the console so that the car will not turn off before installation is complete.

med_gallery_187_17_178817.jpg

DA5T-14D544-BD

The latest SYNC® update includes all of the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits, such as:

• Information display on the homescreen for HD, Sirius (if equipped), and FM radio sources
  • Simplified graphics and improved usability
  • Enhanced voice destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)
  • Improved Navigation vehicle positioning (if equipped)
  • Rear view camera guidelines set to ON by default (if equipped)
  • Updated SYNC/device compatibility information

The installation of this update will take up to 30 minutes to complete. Be sure to keep your engine running, not in accessory mode, throughout the entire installation process. Turning off your vehicle during the update installation will disrupt the process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you begin the installation process, you may drive your vehicle while the update is downloading to your SYNC system. If your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start feature, you will need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete. To disable this feature, use your steering wheel controls to navigate to the Settings menu on your left-hand Instrument Cluster LCD display. From there, select Vehicle >Auto Engine Off >Off. (If you do not see this setting, there is no need to make any changes before starting the update.) Alternatively, after initiating the installation, you may drive the vehicle during the update process to avoid the engine shutting off. The AEIS will automatically reset to "On" the next time you start your vehicle.

Please note: During the update installation, SYNC will temporarily appear to not recognize your mobile phone or media device. This is normal.

When your system has been successfully updated, SYNC will display a notification saying, "Installation complete."

Edited by larryh

My upgrade went smoothly.  The Phone and Nav always loaded quickly for me in the last version, but now it's super fast.

After I loaded my phone contacts, I turned the Auto Phonebook feature off (this makes the system faster on startup).  

It's nice to be able to press anywhere within a homepage quadrant now to get to Phone/Entertainment/Climate/Nav.

I installed the update today. There are lots of improvements. However, there is one problem that I now have which is the update broke the Active Noise Cancelation feature of the car.  Immediately after the update I started hearing wind noise and in fact I though one of the rear windows was open. It was not. Wind noise round the sunroof and it sounds like a door is ajar. Also, when the engine kicks on, it is very noticeable now. Magically, my Fusion Titanium Energi has transformed from the quietest riding car I own to the noisiest car I own.  

If the Active Noise Reduction feature of the car is important to you, DON'T INSTALL THIS UPDATE. It broke that fantastic feature on my car.  

Is there any way possible to roll back to the previous version. The new features are not worth losing this!

Mark  

Wow!  Sorry to hear that Mark.

I installed the upgrade Sunday night and drove about 5 hours today and I did not notice that my Active Noise Cancellation had been disabled.  I was in Hybrid mode for most of the drive and the ICE was not intrusive at all.  The Energi is so much quieter than my Altima Hybrid.  It gets breezy crossing the bridges in the Bay Area but I did not hear wind noise at all, and I did not have the radio on.

"Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete"

I did not see these instructions, or at least didn't comprehend it.  I started in park and drove while the update was installing. Most of the time, I was in EV mode and then toward the end, it had switched to hybrid mode.  Could this have screwed something up???

Mark

"Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete"

I did not see these instructions, or at least didn't comprehend it.  I started in park and drove while the update was installing. Most of the time, I was in EV mode and then toward the end, it had switched to hybrid mode.  Could this have screwed something up???

Mark

Driving while the update was in progress was actually the other solution, so I seriously doubt that broke anything.  There's an option in the left instrument cluster screen to turn off AEIS.  I think it goes for 15 minutes or so... basically, if you put the car in park and don't power it down, it will automatically shut itself off after that time expires.  I think the Volt and even the Cadillac ETS does that too (but theirs is set for like 2 hours).  Reason for that is because the car doesn't make any noise and it's actually a bit more difficult to tell if the car is on or not, so they added that feature to have it shut off after sitting for a while.  I guess the MFT update exceeds the AEIS timeout.

To try to get your active noise cancellation thing working again, try resetting the MFT (there's 2 fuses to pull... someone mentioned which ones in another thread) and pull the active noise cancellation fuse too.  Give it 5 minutes, and put it back in.  See if that hard reset will bring it back.  There are more invasive ways to do the same thing (remove 12v negative lead while the car is powered down to kill off everything) for a few minutes.

If that all fails, take it to the dealer.  After all, that's what warranties are for.