Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Noisy AC?

surfandswim

I have had my Energi for about 3 weeks now...really like the car!

One thing I noticed when I start the car is the AC and the fan are very noisy. With the AC and fan off there is a hum when you start the car for 10 seconds, that seems normal, but the AC and fan seem very noisy to me.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, but that is only because you are not hearing any engine sound.

To fix this problem, start the car with the windows in the "up" position so you can't hear it.   ;)

Seriously though, if it is performing ok and you still hear it well after start up, it would not hurt to get it checked out.  I hear the same thing here.

R

Thanks guys...I think I will get it checked out sometime soon...I'm with you though...it makes the car sound like the Engine is on. Fortunately for me living in So Cal I can have the AC off.

One other thing I noticed is that if I just run the fan the AC in off, it's still cooling significantly. I think there is a bug in the AC off, because my climate control usage doesn't go down much when this happens. I've noticed that when the AC is really off and only the fan is on the power use on the climate is way low.

If you have auto mode on, it will run the heater or air conditioner as required.  I think the AC button is a manual override to auto mode and takes you out of auto mode (but I am not sure).  If you want to make sure that the air conditioning is off and you are out of auto mode, turn off the AC and turn on the panel vent via MFT or voice command:  "Climate", "Panel On".  Also, you may need to set the temperature to "Lo".  I haven't completed figured it all out yet.

Larry

Edited by larryh

I've had my car for 3 months and haven't noticed that the A/C is any noisier than in any of my previous cars (from other car makers). I'm in the Phoenix area so I always have to turn the A/C to "Max" when I first get in the car. Yes, it's loud enough that I can't hear the radio but it cools everything down very quickly and I turn off the "Max" and have the regular A/C on. This time of year (Summer), I always have the windows rolled up and the "inside circulation" set to "On." After it cools down, I eventually have the fan speed on just 1 bar. 

Thanks guys...I think I will get it checked out sometime soon...I'm with you though...it makes the car sound like the Engine is on. Fortunately for me living in So Cal I can have the AC off.

One other thing I noticed is that if I just run the fan the AC in off, it's still cooling significantly. I think there is a bug in the AC off, because my climate control usage doesn't go down much when this happens. I've noticed that when the AC is really off and only the fan is on the power use on the climate is way low.

When in Auto mode, the AC button doesn't do anything, even though the light turns off and on. The system will do what it takes to get to the set temp as long as the Auto light is on, and that includes turning the AC or heater on if it needs to.

To avoid the AC from turning on you have to go to Manual Mode. To get out of Auto mode and into Manual Mode, go to the Climate part of the touchscreen and press the Vent symbol (or floor symbol), this takes the system out of Auto mode. You can then manually use the AC button.

The Fan will also be in Auto until you manually change the fan speed via the buttons or via the touchscreen.

Running the AC doesn't use as much energi as you would think. I use Auto unless im hypermiling.

The heater is the real power guzzler and something to watch out for because there is no heater on/off button.

Edited by Energized

You can always turn the climate off to stop the heater.  You wouldn't want the fan or vent on anyway when it is cold, except maybe for the defroster.

The heater has never come on when I have the vent on and set the temperature to lo when it is in 50's in the morning.

Edited by larryh