Ford Fusion Energi Forum

First trip to the gas station

meyersnole

Bought my car March 8 with a full tank of gas 53 miles on the ODO (I got extra testing with the early build date, and an extra long test drive).

Initially I was a bit concerned the battery in the FORD was going to be too small, but just could not make myself like the Volt enough to pull the trigger. Well, over 2500 miles later (2569 on the ODO) I am sitting at the gas station doing my first refuel. WOW!

I was driving a few of my office mates out for lunch, they were also very impressed with the amount of time and mileage between fill ups.

Picking up the car

Picking up my car on March 8, 2013

And now the stats...

MPG1

MPG2

MPG3

I drove 280 miles round trip yesterday which took me up and down hills and I tried to keep my cruise control set as much as possible (Adaptive Cruise Control is really great).  I was not trying to maximize mileage so I kept the car on Auto and then put it in EV Later once I got to the Interstate.  I started with 21 miles and I had 14 miles of battery remaining when I got on the Interstate.  For both directions I averaged 42.8 and 42.9 mpg.  I watched the battery decrease to 11 miles at the lowest but by the time I reached my town and got off the Interstate I was back to 14 miles remaining in the battery.

I'm impressed with the mileage of running in Hybrid mode.  

BTW - How did it feel to drive up to the gas pump after driving all of that distance?

Would have liked to have gone a little longer, but 2,500 miles has been my goal for some time.

I thought about waiting for the gas warning light, but I traditionally do not like having a very small amount of energy (read gas) in case something strange happens -- like a storm that takes the power out for days.

But I also felt really good about how much less gas I have been using. I use to fill up a pretty large tank (pumped 13-14 gals of premium) every week and a half. I am driving more then I did previously and using almost no fuel. My travel season is right around the corner (I travel to Florida during football season) so I decided to fill the tank all the way up. If I do not plan on any trips in the near future, then I will only be putting 4-5 gallons at a time in the car.