Ford Fusion Energi Forum

WA to CA trip

Zman11

2 weeks after getting my Ti Energi we made a trip to CA. The trip odometer says I made 2463 miles with 770 in EV mode and 39.1MPG

Average speed was between 65-75mph with air conditioner hit 105F in some areas. Did not have a chance to charge as my wife was not a fan of having to look for places to charge (That is why I got an Energi).

Observations:

* I loved BLIS and ACC. It was really nice not having to adjust to traffic speed with the ACC. Sometimes I had my foot on the brake pedal on the ready waiting for the Fusion to slow down. It did not fail me. I did chicken out and disabled it a couple of times as I thought it was not going to do it.

* One issue I ran into a couple of times where the engine was revving around 4000rpm going 60mph. I disengaged ACC and Hill descent (I was on a 3% slope). It went back to normal (2000rpm) after a couple of minutes. Anybody experience this?

* Took advantage of remote start via my smartphone so the air conditioner had 5 minutes head start. Wife really appreciated this.

* She did not like the passenger seat being too low and not adjustable. She is 5' 1" and the sun visor was useless.  Had to get a pillow :)

Overall I am very happy with my Fusion. I had a BMW 335i convertible and don't really miss it. My wife has a BMW X5 that I am hoping it replaces for our long trips and might succeed. We get 15MPG so at more than twice the fuel economy on the Fusion.....

• 7 months later...

* One issue I ran into a couple of times where the engine was revving around 4000rpm going 60mph. I disengaged ACC and Hill descent (I was on a 3% slope). It went back to normal (2000rpm) after a couple of minutes. Anybody experience this?

Hi Zman11, welcome to the forum.

One of the things you are going to notice, and will not seem right to you, is that the engine will run at its most efficient rate. The sound will not match a traditionally geared auto due to the transmission as there are no gears. The CVT is infinitely variable and while in electric mode you will notice a smooth and linear the acceleration, when the engine is engaged it will seem very odd not to hear the whine of the ICE match shift points, because there are no shift points.

It is more efficient to work this way, and you will get use to this over time.  This is discussed here: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1501-the-ice-is-loud/?p=9300 under the title The ICE is loud.  

Edited by meyersnole

One issue I ran into a couple of times where the engine was revving around 4000rpm going 60mph. I disengaged ACC and Hill descent (I was on a 3% slope). It went back to normal (2000rpm) after a couple of minutes. Anybody experience this?

It sounds like you were going downhill using "Grade Assist" and that the engine speed you were noticing was the engine functioning as a brake to slow the car, though 4000 rpm on a 3% grade sounds high.  Normally, the electric motor provides the braking rather than the engine.  Was the battery full at this point?  When that is the case, the motor won't act as brake and the task falls entirely to the engine.

Grade assist:

• Provides additional grade braking with

a combination of engine motoring and

high-voltage battery charging to help

maintain vehicle speed when

descending a grade.

• As the vehicle determines the amount

of engine motoring and high-voltage

battery charging, you may notice the

engine speed increasing and

decreasing to help maintain your

vehicle speed when descending a