Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Just Ordered Two 2014 Titanium Energi

rmorse

• 3 months later...

After six months, both 2014 Energis have arrived.  I picked mine up yesterday, my wife gets hers today.  Really nice cars.  I'm very impressed.  The VIN numbers are one digit apart.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread.   If you're still waiting for your 2014 Energi, it's worth the wait.

-robert.

Congratulations on the delivery of your 2 babies. :)  That's pretty awesome that your vins are consecutive.  My license plates for my vehicles are also consecutive.  Michigan had everybody replace their old blue plates with white letters to white plates with blue letters, and I ordered both online and got them 1 number apart.

• 1 year later...

I'm the original poster to this thread (the idiot that bought two loaded 2014 Ford Fusion Energi).

After a year, this has proven to be one of the WORST decisions I have made.   Here's the latest situation:

Drove the car just fine yesterday.   Pulled it into the garage, set the brake, transmission in park, engine off.  Plugged in the charger.   Came out the next day, and tried to start, only to encounter EVERY warning you can imagine, and the car wouldn't start!  Tried several times with no success.  Called the dealer, and they claimed to never have heard of this situation.  A Google search yields different results.  I was going to schedule a tow, but with the car in the garage, and the brake set, I'm guessing the only way to get it on the truck is to *drag* it!  I mentioned this to the dealer, and then I asked how they would get the car *off* the truck, assuming it was dragged on.   After a long pause, I got:  "We'll figure something out."  So, I went out this morning to try to start the thing again.   This time, no power whatsoever, yet the main engine battery charger was plugged in, although there was no blue light around the charging port.   Pulled out the battery trickle charger and was going to hook it up.  Guess what?   With no power, the trunk won't open!   Folded the rear seats down and Ford cleverly placed the trunk release at the back of the trunk, so unless your arms are 5 feet long, you'll never reach it!   Coat hanger to the rescue and popped the trunk.   Got the battery charger hooked up and after an hour, the power was back on.   Went to start...same issue.  

I'll update this thread as it progresses.  but my personal advice:  STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!   Oh, and don't get me started on the GPS.  Turns out, if you change the tires to something exotic like snow tires (that were recommended by TireRack), there's a good chance the GPS won't work!  Why?   Ford engineering thought it would be a good idea to get distance information from the wheels rather than from the GPS satellites!  So, after a few miles, the GPS is completely lost, and Ford didn't think it might be a good idea to re-sync with the satellites.  Worst cars I have ever owned.

You come here ranting about one issue which doesn't seem to be reason to say these cars are the "worst cars ever". Have you had other problems?

Also, in the owner's manual it says that the proper procedure to charge the 12V battery is via the posts under the hood. That saves the pain you experienced with the trunk when the battery is dead.

You should contact our local Ford Service rep for assistance. Search for username FordService.

I'm the original poster to this thread (the idiot that bought two loaded 2014 Ford Fusion Energi).

After a year, this has proven to be one of the WORST decisions I have made.   Here's the latest situation:

Drove the car just fine yesterday.   Pulled it into the garage, set the brake, transmission in park, engine off.  Plugged in the charger.   Came out the next day, and tried to start, only to encounter EVERY warning you can imagine, and the car wouldn't start!  Tried several times with no success.  Called the dealer, and they claimed to never have heard of this situation.  A Google search yields different results.  I was going to schedule a tow, but with the car in the garage, and the brake set, I'm guessing the only way to get it on the truck is to *drag* it!  I mentioned this to the dealer, and then I asked how they would get the car *off* the truck, assuming it was dragged on.   After a long pause, I got:  "We'll figure something out."  So, I went out this morning to try to start the thing again.   This time, no power whatsoever, yet the main engine battery charger was plugged in, although there was no blue light around the charging port.   Pulled out the battery trickle charger and was going to hook it up.  Guess what?   With no power, the trunk won't open!   Folded the rear seats down and Ford cleverly placed the trunk release at the back of the trunk, so unless your arms are 5 feet long, you'll never reach it!   Coat hanger to the rescue and popped the trunk.   Got the battery charger hooked up and after an hour, the power was back on.   Went to start...same issue.  

I'll update this thread as it progresses.  but my personal advice:  STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!   Oh, and don't get me started on the GPS.  Turns out, if you change the tires to something exotic like snow tires (that were recommended by TireRack), there's a good chance the GPS won't work!  Why?   Ford engineering thought it would be a good idea to get distance information from the wheels rather than from the GPS satellites!  So, after a few miles, the GPS is completely lost, and Ford didn't think it might be a good idea to re-sync with the satellites.  Worst cars I have ever owned.

That release in the trunk is made for anyone trapped there to release the trunk. It was not designed to be used to open the trunk under normal circumstances.

Have you had the same issues with both cars, or is one better than the other?

wow, thats crazy...

Just a note on the GPS. Hold down right arrow and eject button until you get into the diagnostics screen. Select APIM diagnostics and scroll down to GPS information. That will provide updated information on what the GPS is actually doing.

I've never heard of any GPS using the wheel rotation for routing, although it is used for the odometers and etc.

Wow that's a crazy story i hope they fix your car 

I too have looked to see if any issues with these cars and it seems like there are a fair amount of off the wall make no sense issues with the fusion energi............ It must be because of the complex computers and electronics maybe Ford can get all this ironed out on the next redesign in the mean time i hope all is well with the car and nothing else occurs with it and if you don't already have a ESP go out and get one if you plan on keeping both of them

Also your manual will tell you how to release the shift lever so that you can put it in neautral (you remove a cover near the shifter and put a screw driver in the hole).  The tow truck driver can drag the vehicle out of the garage, the parking brake only applied to the rear wheels (I think) so if you didn't pull straight in he will need to drag it out to a point where he can go to the otherside and tow it by the rear wheels.

If the parking brake applies to both sets of wheels they will need to put dollies under one set of wheels and tow by the other, like this:
http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Towing-Issues-1411/2009/08/vehicle-towed-Wheel.jpg

This will prevent them from needing to put it on a flatbed and any issues that would come along with taking it down off of said flatbed.

Good luck.

Also your manual will tell you how to release the shift lever so that you can put it in neautral (you remove a cover near the shifter and put a screw driver in the hole).  The tow truck driver can drag the vehicle out of the garage, the parking brake only applied to the rear wheels (I think) so if you didn't pull straight in he will need to drag it out to a point where he can go to the otherside and tow it by the rear wheels.

If the parking brake applies to both sets of wheels they will need to put dollies under one set of wheels and tow by the other, like this:

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Towing-Issues-1411/2009/08/vehicle-towed-Wheel.jpg

This will prevent them from needing to put it on a flatbed and any issues that would come along with taking it down off of said flatbed.

Good luck.

If he puts a battery charger on the terminals under the hood, won't that supply enough power to release the parking brake and move the gearshift to neutral when depressing the brake?

If he puts a battery charger on the terminals under the hood, won't that supply enough power to release the parking brake and move the gearshift to neutral when depressing the brake?

I'm assuming that he tries this first and for whatever reason is still unable to get the system to respond.  My point was that even if he can't get the parking brake to release the vehicle is still towable since hybridbear had already covered this information.  Sorry for any confusion caused.

Just a note on the GPS. Hold down right arrow and eject button until you get into the diagnostics screen. Select APIM diagnostics and scroll down to GPS information. That will provide updated information on what the GPS is actually doing.

I've never heard of any GPS using the wheel rotation for routing, although it is used for the odometers and etc.

My wife's explorer GPS is acting up. Sometimes its on the "road" and other times its not. Talked to the dealer and they say the GPS needs to be resync but the tech is only there for an hour M-F....needless to say, its not on our top of the list....will what you say  work? or do we need a tech?

...Here's the latest situation:

Drove the car just fine yesterday.   Pulled it into the garage, set the brake, transmission in park, engine off.  Plugged in the charger.   Came out the next day, and tried to start, only to encounter EVERY warning you can imagine, and the car wouldn't start!  Tried several times with no success.  Called the dealer, and they claimed to never have heard of this situation...So, I went out this morning to try to start the thing again.   This time, no power whatsoever, yet the main engine battery charger was plugged in, although there was no blue light around the charging port...   Got the battery charger hooked up and after an hour, the power was back on.   Went to start...same issue...

Hi rmorse,

Were you able to get to your dealer yesterday or today? Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check out some additional assistance.

...You should contact our local Ford Service rep for assistance. Search for username FordService.

Thanks for pointing him my way!

Meagan

My wife's explorer GPS is acting up. Sometimes its on the "road" and other times its not. Talked to the dealer and they say the GPS needs to be resync but the tech is only there for an hour M-F....needless to say, its not on our top of the list....will what you say  work? or do we need a tech?

It should tell you if the GPS is locking to satellites.

The towing company put their hook on it, and "skates" (basically inclined plastic wedges) under the front tires, and literally dragged it out of the garage onto the flatbed.  This was noon yesterday.  Haven't heard a peep from the dealer since, and it's 5:30pm the next day.  We took the other Fusion (the one built right after the dead one based on the VIN) to the dealer earlier in the week for the same GPS problem, and they basically forgot it was there for a day, so this isn't unexpected.   We'll see what turns up tomorrow.  To the person who appears to be from Ford, I got a call yesterday.  She was extremely pleasant, and only aware of the GPS issue, not the Dead on Arrival (DOA) symptoms.   She said she'd call back the next day (today).  Haven't heard a thing.  Like I said, we bought two of these things with every option available.  The dealer was pretty excited about it.  They seem less excited when there are issues.  I'll wait another day, and then head down there.   Perhaps I have the wrong windshield washer fluid in the reservoir.

That's really weird.

I don't know why you pulled the luck of having problems with your vehicle.  It's definitely not normal.  A vast majority of these cars that are out on the road now only experience minor issues that may or may not reoccur.  I know I'd have my patience tested if my car wound up having repeat, serious problems.

I will have had my ride for 2 years at the end of May.  Only minor issue I've experienced is that the car will sometimes abort a go time before the time I get to the car.  Minor annoyance and it just uses a little more energy from the battery to heat the cabin when I leave, but aside from that, I've had no drivability problems.  Yet.

Oh, and don't get me started on the GPS.  Turns out, if you change the tires to something exotic like snow tires (that were recommended by TireRack), there's a good chance the GPS won't work!  Why?   Ford engineering thought it would be a good idea to get distance information from the wheels rather than from the GPS satellites!  So, after a few miles, the GPS is completely lost, and Ford didn't think it might be a good idea to re-sync with the satellites.  Worst cars I have ever owned.

SSM 44961 applies to your situation. It is also posted in the TSB/SSM Forum Section.

SSM 44961 - 2011-2015 Various Vehicles - Global Positioning Satellite Module (GPSM) - Inaccurate Location Or Offset Displayed After Seasonal Tire Change
Some 2011-2015 Vehicles with MFT or MLT and Navigation may display incorrect vehicle position after installing seasonal tires. These inaccuracies will correct/recalibrate over time if tires are within the recommended size. Use Owners Guideto verify proper size, load index, and speed rating. If the tires are not the correct specification for the vehicle, do not perform a repair attempt. If propertires are installed and the concern persists refer to Work Shop Manual, Section415-00 for diagnosis by DTC or symptom. Note: Removing GPSM power for 2 minuteswill clear GPSM calibration and greatly reduce the time it takes for the systemto correct/recalibrate. The system will typically recalibrate within 20 minutesof driving around 40 MPH with a clear view of the sky and a turn performed every few miles with the GPSM power restored.

This is a short update, I'll post a much longer one in the next day or two.   Finally got the car back two days ago.  The problem?  A loose connection somewhere.  I'll post the actual diagnosis later.  Here's the interesting thing:   The dealer was insisting that the tires were the problem with the GPS as mentioned above.  Well, after the service, it works just fine with the same tires, but the interesting piece is that it appears the firmware for the onboard system was updated (although not mentioned on the service ticket).   Why do I think this?  Some prompts and the display is slightly different. Regarding the SSM 44961 post above, I looked in the Owner's Manual and found no reference to "acceptable" replacement tire size, but I didn't do a thorough search.   However, I stand by my previous statement that any system that has access to an inherently more accurate source of information (e.g., satellite timing data), vs., a primitive revolution counter based on an assumed tire diameter, and doesn't default to the more accurate source is simply flawed.   My guess is the firmware update addresses this, although I'd love to hear the reason why Ford engineers elected to use tire diameter.

My other identical Fusion (one VIN number different) has the same problem, same tires.

GPS is not always accurate.  To be accurate, GPS requires direct line of sight to the GPS satellites.  If you drive the car through a forest, tall buildings, in a parking garage, etc., the signal quality from the GPS satellites will be poor and location accuracy will be degraded.  You need to know the distance traveled, i.e. tire rotation, to maintain an accurate position for the car.  The GPS position is going to 1000s of feet off.  I think you will have more problems with location if they only relied on GPS position and did not use distance traveled from the tires.  Using distance traveled from the tires will significantly improve position accuracy provided the tire information is correct. 

Even under the best conditions, GPS measurements are noisy and accuracy is maybe around 30 feet.  The noisy measurements need to be smoothed with the help of distance traveled from the car.  You wouldn't want to see you car jumping all over the road on the navigation display. 

Whoever installed the tires should haven been aware of these issues and should have taken corrective action so you did not experience any problems. 

Edited by larryh

What you're claiming is simply inaccurate.  If true, companies like Garmin wouldn't exist.  Since the same car with the same tires, and now updated firmware tracks without issue, are you going to stand by your statement that it's the tires??

As far as why the car was dead, from the Service Ticket:

"Performed pinpoint test AJ1-AJ22 when on the last step of the pinpoint teset found when moving the BCM around the relays would start working.  Found the power wire to the BCM loose and had build up of arcing battery deposits.  Removed, cleaned and retested.  Ok at this time."  

When I picked it up, I asked if I could see where this loose wire was in case it happened again, and it couldn't be dragged up the tow truck.  Said they had no idea, and I needed to talk to a Master Mechanic, who had left for the day.   

I have a Garmin GPS.  They are not all that accurate.  As I stated, accuracy is about 30 feet under ideal conditions.  Many times, it is much worse.  Differential GPS is better with accuracy around 10 feet.

I have made many recordings of data from the OBD II connector in the car along with GPS data.  The GPS data is very noisy.  I only trust the distance traveled as measured by the car and not the GPS data for shorter distances. 

Edited by larryh