Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Operating Voltage of the Air Conditioner and Heater System

Andre07

I do not yet own a Ford Fusion Hybrid or Energi but am leaning towards an Energi.

Have been reading that the Air Conditioner uses an Electric Compressor.  Anyone know what Voltage it operates at, if it operates at a continues Speed or if is Variable?

Is there any information available on what Voltage the AC and Heating Systems Use?

If this Topic appears in another Section can you please link me to it?

Thanks Guys

The air conditioner and heater use between 0 kW and 5 kW of power from the HVB depending on how much heat or AC is needed.  I have observed both using up to 5 kW of power.  Normally the AC power usage reduces to less than 0.5 kW after about 5 minutes when the passenger compartment cools down. 

Edited by larryh

The A/C compressor and heater both run as 300v systems.  You'll see orange cables going to both if you look under the hood.  As Larryh mentioned, they're variable in their energy use which is something I was curious about when I ordered my Energi.  So they won't always use full power.  They will do 'just enough' to keep you comfortable rather than cycle on and off at full power.

Obviously a 120V cable will not run the AC without running down the battery (I have tried it).  If we have a level 2 charger does that give enough energy to cool the car and not run down the battery?

Its like 90 degrees here my windows aren't tinted yet and the garage isn't cleaned out yet...its miserable.

Edited by dlb92

Ok thank you.

The Heater I can see being able to operate directly off the HVB at 300VDC but was wondering about the Air Conditioner Motor, does it operate with 300VDC or is it inverted to Operate on 300 VAC.  If is VAC would it be Single Phase or 3 Phase like the Traction Motor.

Will be nice to see a Schematic and Service Manual for the Energi when it is finally released.

Update:

I just got off the phone with a an Energy/Hydrid Certified Dealer, Salesman in my City (only one certified so far) and from the Info he was looking thru stated that the Air Compressor and the Heater both use Orange(yellow) cables which indicate that they are High Voltage AC (Alternating Current Single Phase)

I asked how the 120VAC Receptacle in the Car for using Laptops and phone Charges, etc was wired.  if it was being fed from the 12V Battery or the HVB and he believes although not certain that it is being fed from the 12V Battery, using a 12V to 120 VAC inverter.

Can someone please check this out and confirm?

If it is being fed from the 12V Battery then it would be something to remember so as to not discharge the 12V battery.

He further stated that the System places the Accessory Battery Circuit in a Fail safe Mode to preserve the 12V Battery by not allowing lights and so on to turn on so that the Car can be started normally.

He also stated that in one of the MY Touch Screens one can view what the ste of charge for the 12V Battery is I told him I would have to drop by and check these out myself on the Energy they have in the showroom.

Of course he said "Come on Down" to which I replied ..."I will come down when I have a chance next week but not to be buying the White Energi you have there I want a different Colour"  To which we both laughed

Edited by Andre07