Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charge Port Light Ring Behavior

Dune

I just noticed this after I updated the software last weekend, although I cannot say with certainty that it wasn't happening before.

Right after I unplug the car following charging (the ring is off signifying "fully charged") the ring does not come on when I open the door or lock/unlock with the keypad.  If I get into the car and hit the start button, then turn it off and exit the vehicle it is on and thereafter will come on if I simply put my hand on the door and hit the unlock sensor (even if it's already unlocked).

Again, while I can't say with absolute certainty, I am reasonably sure that before I did the update, the light ring would come on when hitting the unlock sensor/opening the door immediately after unplugging just like it is supposed to.  Anyone else experience this?

Additionally, I had an issue I have seen elsewhere on these forums where the day before yesterday the car did not charge having been plugged in on 2 different occasions.  We have an Eaton EVSE, and when I plug the car in I always notice the lights circling twice on the port ring and hear the relay pop.

I noticed only when leaving after the second time the car had been plugged in that I had only 2 miles of EV range.  It charged fine upon returning home from that trip and has ever since.  Based on some of the other posts I have read, I can imagine that it might have to do with the reset with myfordmobile that occurred after the update.  Perhaps some glitch with the "value charge" system, although I hadn't made any changes to it initially as our rates here are the same 24/7.  I also wondered if I might have forgotten to turn the car off although I looked today and "auto off" is on.  (I had turned it off when doing the software update, and the reset must have turned it back on.

I personally think the charge port light is the stupid part of the car. Why don't they put a couple of lights on the leading edge of the dash so you can see it from all angles. Besides, the light ring looks stupid if you don't have a full charge. Makes unknowing people think there are burnt out lights or something. Even when it is full charged, there are small sections that are not illuminated.

The port door is hard to open, hard to get it to stay closed. Plus, what happens to the paint in the little indentation you push to open and close at least once per day or multiple times per day if you charge a lot..

Overall the car is fantastic. The charge port looks cheap and like and afterthought. Sort of like they built the car and someone said, how are we going to charge this thing. I bet before it is over, there will be a recall on the charge port door.

Mark

Tesla does it right. Ford could have done something similar. Would not have to be remote necessarily but the pushing on the indentation may be a problem on the long run.. If the door is broken or stops closing prolly, I wonde if Ford makes you replace the entir port??? Hope not.

I personally don't care for the way Tesla implemented their charge port.  They turned something simple into something complicated and prone to problems.   For example, a Telsa owner I charge near sometimes uses a credit card to unstick and open his charge door.

Having to use the touchscreen or a keyfob to open the charge door is tedious and inconvenient.  

Making the proprietary connector lock onto the car has led to stranded drivers, including a AutoWeek reviewer.  

To use a public charging station you have to use an adapter to make the industry standard J1772 fit the "walled garden" Tesla port.

Putting the charge port door at the rear of the car makes you back into a parking spot for charging, which owners usually do in a crooked manner and too close to my car. 

Here is an article on Telsa's charge port, and an argument for the Keep It Simple Stupid method of design.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121210/CARNEWS/121219982

Edited by Energized

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I worry in 5-10 YEARS of open/close cycles the cute spin breaks... how much to fix? I agree, should have been like the Volt's door, flip open like the 'other' fuel door. At least then as you drove, it might close... the first month or two there were several trips of mine when I was out and about with my car's 'fly' open.

Edited by shaggy314

I noticed the same on mine yesterday, that first section just flickers faintly like an old neon sign where part of the letters just flicker on and off.

This may be a symptom of the charge ring prematurely failing.  I would take it to the dealer and complain.  Ashley can possibly help you if the dealer is balky...

Ditto Dune, seems strange that you can't lock the charging port door.  Came out of a store just yesterday and a guy was (sheepishly) standing next to my open charge port door (he had touched it and it sprang open) wondering how to close it...if someone wanted to do damage, I'm sure a wire or other conductive things could be stuck into the individual charging prong holes and play havic with the car...assuming it would trip a breaker/fuse, but still John Q. Public should not have access to my charge port!

if someone wanted to do damage, I'm sure a wire or other conductive things could be stuck into the individual charging prong holes and play havic with the car...assuming it would trip a breaker/fuse, but still John Q. Public should not have access to my charge port!

For perspective, many cars don't have a locking fuel door, and it isn't like people rampantly pour undesirable things in gas tanks.

I'm not super familiar with the SAE J1772 standard, but I'd be surprised if it allowed random wire to cause any sort of issues - given the communication requirements between the EVSE and the vehicle, I don't think it'd close any circuits to the battery itself without the necessary communication.  If someone wants to go through the effort to simulate an EVSE and cause problems... it isn't much different than pouring something into a gas tank.

I hear you, but people can be mean and mischievous, imagine if someone poured glue or even a soda for that matter into your charge port...I'd rather have it configured so it can only be opened from the inside.

The Volt (and Leaf I think) is like that, but then all you need is a door release inside and I'm fine with that, just not the spin that has a better chance of breaking with so much use.

Edited by shaggy314

• 1 month later...

My charge ring lights burnt out on the bottom right quadrant. This was after the top left quadrant only works intermittently. When it seemed to start working again, the bottom right went out. Took in for service. The dealership said the charge port had to be replaced. The ordered the part and installed a few days later. So far it's working fine. I wonder if the bulbs are not replaceable forcing the, to replace the port. What happens when the warranty is gone? I also wonder why they didn't use LEDs fir the port lighting.

Has anyone else had to have the charge port replaced?

The Volt (and Leaf I think) is like that, but then all you need is a door release inside and I'm fien with that, just not the spin that has a beater chance of breaking with so much use.

yup, the Volt and Leaf have locking charge doors.  the Leaf goes one further by also giving the driver the ability to lock the plug to the car.  it can automatically release after completing the charge or can remain locked until the owner returns.

I'm pretty unimpressed with the lack of a lock for the charge door.  It's cool that it spins but it should lock.

and, the FFE should have a 6.6 behind the locking door.

Has anyone else had to have the charge port replaced?

My first quarter has been out for a few weeks, and the final quarter has also been out a couple times but still intermittent.  I have almost 32k now so will be at the dealer in about a month just before I hit 36k so I can get the RO started for the light ring and also get inspection done and be under warranty for anything that might be found.