Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is using an extension cord permitted with the cord that comes with the car?

howardbc

My mind is screaming "No!" but want to see what everyone thinks. I just charge my FFE every night using a 120v outlet and the cord that came with the car. It's working great of course. 

But I will be visiting some friends who have experience with RVs but don't know anything at all about plug-in hybrids. The husband said he could attach some kind of extension cord (probably something he used on their RV) if my cord is not long enough while I'm visiting them.

I do not want to do anything that might damage my 5-month old car! Charging it up every night while I'm away is not that big a deal to me. I'm actually kind of curious as to how it does as a hybrid only.

What does everyone think? Thanks.

The Owner's Manual says to not use an extension cord. 

However I think an extension cord made of 10 gauge or maybe 12 gauge wire depending on the length would work okay. 

A 100 foot 10 gauge extension cord at Lowe's costs $137.00.

Note that most extension cords that you will find for sale are 18 gauge or 16 gauge wire and are not suitable for handling the current required for the charger.

I have a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord that I used with the 120v charger, no problem (it's heavy, husky brand from Home Depot).  Due to the length and the fact that it's stranded wire, it's rated to carry up to 15a (12awg solid romex wire is good for 20a), which is over the 12a the charger draws.  Do not use the standard 'orange' cheap, light outdoorsy cord that's only 16awg unless you want to see it slowly melt.  So long as you get a cord that's rated for the draw you're going to put on it, I wouldn't think twice about it.

A 14 Gauge Cable should be fine if it is less than 50 feet long.  For anything longer, a 12 Gauge Cable would be recommended.

House wiring uses 14 gauge wire for 15 Amps circuits but rated for continues loads of 12A.  Depending on how far the Receptacle is from the Distribution Panel  a voltage drop at the Receptacle can be present so, for longer runs, 12 Gauge wire is used in House wiring or Garage or Industrial wiring.  This is often the case for dedicated Circuits that are known to draw 12 Amps continuously 

Edited by Andre07

• 5 weeks later...

Extension cords on spools is not a good idea unless you unwind the length first.  At 120v the charger/car will draw ~12A.  depending on the gage wire could be a safety issue for fire and even then you will still have heating of the coil.  Extension cords that are 12 gage wire or heavier are fine to use just don't leave the wire bunched up and risk heating the cable possibly causing a fire.  The wiring in your house is a type of "extension cord"