Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan)

Markn455

Did some searching and could not find anything on this topic. I am considering getting the ESP simply because this is essentially a first year car?  Never in my life can I recall every using or needing an extended warranty, maybe once but not sure about that. However, since this is a PHEV and loaded with other electronics and "toys", I am considering it.  I have done some checking, and have found that   http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com has some killer pricing on the official FORD ESP. So, I am wondering, what are your thoughts? Have you purchased a plan, if so, what plan and what price.

Then, there is also a maintenance plan that you can get with it or by itself. I think these plans basically "pre-pay" for all your scheduled maintenance for however many miles/years you want.  I purchased one of these for my Ford F250 and it way great and saved a bunch. Problem there was the oil changes and other scheduled items was very expensive. Using the maintenance plan really saved a lot of information in that case.

Mark

Ball ground, GA

Anderson and Koch, along with Flood Ford, offer by far the best price for the ford ESP.  I haven't bought mine yet (going to do that around the holidays), but I intend on getting a 7 year, either 60k or 75k package.

Maintenance packages I think are a ripoff.  This car hardly needs anything.  Maybe yearly oil changes (don't let the dealership tell you that you need 5k oil changes - the car monitors the oil itself... just follow that), and the other powertrain stuff hardly gets touched.  coolant at 6 years, transmission at 150k...  unless the dealership is charging 100 per oil change, I don't see the benefit of a maintenance plan.

I opted for both ESP plans with a lot of hesitancy!  My salesman was fantastic and told me to consider the Premium Care plan since I bought a fully loaded Titanium.  He said especially with MyFord Touch system if anything goes wrong with it, if they couldn't fix the issue, they would just replace the entire unit.  Now, I figured he was just giving me the typical B.S. but he said he wanted to tell me about the plan before I met with the finance guy.  And the finance guy sounded like the typical finance guy.  Based on my annual driving I took the 60 month Maintenance Plan and the 72 month Care Plan.

The closest dealer is only 5 miles from my house and they just started selling Energi's last month so I plan to take my car there for all the major service for the next 5 years.  I figure I have to recover the money I spent for that Maintenance Plan.   :)

One reason I decided to take both plans is because I had calculated the best price for my car before contacting the dealer.  I initiated a chat session on line with the dealer, and he quoted me his best price $600 less than what I had calculated.  Then when I went to purchase the car the final price was now $1000 less than the quote.

$1275 for the Maintenance Plan

$1475 for the Care Plan

The finance guy said the prices are higher if I decided to purchase either plan later.  I do not know if I got hosed or not! 

I purchased the 7 year/75,000 mile ESP with $200 deductible from Anderson & Koch for $900.  They are about 15 miles from my home.

Note that the ESP is the same price for all Fusion models.  So the Energi owners are getting a bargain relative to the gasoline powered fusions since the car costs almost twice as much and has a lot more components.

The vehicle requires very little maintenance, so I don't see any point in a maintenance plan.  This plan would be better suited for a vehicle that requires high maintenance.

Edited by larryh

I personally don't think that the maintenance plan is worth the money they charge for them, but I got mine free from Ford as compensation for something stupid a dealer did, so I intend to use it as much as I'm allowed to. I got the 3 year, 45K miles at 5K intervals. Normally I would not take the car for service as often, but I will change the oil every and rotate the tires every 5k miles. 

I know from experience, that hybrids require a lot less maintenance than regular cars. I only changed the oil and rotated the tires on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid 4 times in 3 1/2 years and 30K miles of ownership. There were no other maintenance items required whatsoever during that time. 

So, normally I wouldn't have bought the maintenance, but since I have it, I will use it.

Regards,
APM

• 4 months later...

Should be a couple of topics about this. It's good enough to stick isn't it?

Yeah you'd think so, but it has a way of sifting down the list and before you know it, someone posts a new topic to ask the same question all over again (minor) or doesn't read it and pays several hundred more than they otherwise would have (not minor... to them anyway).

And timely this should come up... when we got my wife's Energi we sold the Edge and today I got the check in the mail for the refund of the unused portion of the coverage.  That required an email to Flood Ford with request to cancel the remaining coverage and providing a copy of the odometer disclosure statement so they know how much to prorate in the refund.

I bought mine from floodford 100k 5year for 1000 or so. I had to cancel the stealership warranty I purchased. It was 3rd party 75k warranty for 1700. What a rip off that was. GLAD I found this info on here.

Yep and every time one has been offered to me it has come along with "we have a special right now" as a gimmick to get the customer think they are really getting several hundred bucks markdown, when in reality it's not a "deal" except for the dealer.

Some customers will print out a price quote from Flood (or similar online vendor) and ask their dealer to match it, maybe they have great friends there but personally I don't care to make the purchase from the guy that was perfectly willing to take me for hundreds more, I just simply say thanks for the price quotes and I'll get back with you if I'm interested, then go buy from Flood and from the guys who offered the much better deal in the first place.

It was my favorite part of the sales process when they brought up the ESP, I think they wanted $2495, I almost pee myself laughing. I showed him both A&K and Flood, told him match this or don't bother... I almost fell out of my seat when he said ok. It seems I got it for less than what they charge in house people buying it and that he was going to pass it around in house. He also said so many people never deal on the price (but if anyone called him on it, he'd drop $500 and they almost all take it if they remotely wanted it) so whereas they didn't make any real money ($65) on mine, others that weekend would cover it. /sigh

I thanked him on his honesty (to me).

Edited by shaggy314

• 2 months later...

I tried getting the finance person at the dealer to match Flood or Anderson too but he wouldn't go lower than around $700 more than these two.  The finance person also said he never heard of them and implied that they were not real deals.  Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) buying FORD ESPs from Flood or Anderson?  I assume there is no problem getting service under FORD ESPs sold by Flood or Anderson (or any other out of state dealer for that matter).

Thanks

I tried getting the finance person at the dealer to match Flood or Anderson too but he wouldn't go lower than around $700 more than these two.  The finance person also said he never heard of them and implied that they were not real deals.  Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) buying FORD ESPs from Flood or Anderson?  I assume there is no problem getting service under FORD ESPs sold by Flood or Anderson (or any other out of state dealer for that matter).

Thanks

I have now purchased 5 ESP plans from Flood, they are a dealer in RI and can sell in most states -- if not eligible to sell in a given state it will show that on their site, I don't remember which ones are excluded but I don't think there are many.

They are definitely an authentic purchase source as every single time I've had my car in for repair on extended warranty (which were not many, knock on wood) the plan showed up against the VIN.  Don't let the dealer BS you, and personally I have never been a fan of trying to hand over extra money to the dealer and gladly save several hundred purchasing elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine the only reason they cannot sell in a state is the same for us... It used to be Florida and I think NC or somewhere, it was ILLEGAL to sell extended warranties from outside the state (over the phone(. I used to work at Apple and we couldn't sell to users in certain states AppleCare over the phone even if the customers wanted it. I've heard since I've been on the phones that one of the states now allows phone sales, but only from within the state so they were xfering to a local dealer to make the sale.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the bump on information...it was all great.  My husband can now do the told you so dance.  :happy feet: 

If we would have purchased the ESP it would have been bad news to our great deal on our new 2013 (last 13 in the state) Fusion Energi Luxury MSRP $39K we got for $29K plus dealer prep, taxes, title etc. bring it to 33K, $0 down, 0% interest for 72 months.  Plus we will get the $4007 in federal tax credit.  I think we rocked it.  It pays to purchase clearance models the last day of the month...the last day of the Quarter.  Internet sales all the way...we did all our negation via emails.

I love my new car.  Ice Storm... :) 

• 5 months later...

I don't usually buy an extended warranty, but I thought I would look into it given the expense of the Hybrid system.  The Hybrid battery is NOT covered under any plan that I saw.  Probably will not purchase an extended plan when my 3/36 runs out.  The main thing I wanted covered was the hybrid battery. 

The hybrid specific components have an 8 year / 100K Federal warranty. For CARB states it is 10 years, 150K.

Edited by stevedebi