Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge Electric Vehicle Charger

ChuckJ

I have one and am very happy with it.  Here's why I bought it:  1) compact configuration, the cord wraps around the unit, 2) longer 20 foot cord than most units means I can reach a car on either side or our carport,  3) since we have a carport the unit is somewhat exposed to the outside environment so I like having a NEMA 4 enclosure.  4)  I also liked the delay timer but discovered when I got my Energi (I had the charging station installed before it came) that I could use the Value Charge feature of the car to force the charging into Georgia Power's lowest rate period (11PM - 7AM -- 1.3 cents/KW hour).  

I've been using it for six weeks now without a problem.  Would recommend it to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got mine all wired up and plugged in the car and then nothing. It seems my charger is a dud. Green light says it has power. When I plug it into the car the car acts like it is thinking about charging but the charger never starts. Siemens return process looks like it will take weeks so I think I'll just deal with Amazon.

Did you turn the charger on and let it complete its startup sequence before it was connected to the car?

If you connected it to the car first and then applied the power that is a cold start and is mandated to randomly wait up to 15 minutes before starting to charge.

This is so after a utility power failure all of the chargers in the system don't try to start at the same time and overload the utility.

I probably should have just returned it with Amazon because they have the back-fed one for $50 less now. I called Siemens about the problem to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong and ended up in their replacement process. Actually it turns to be a fairly quick turnaround. The replacement is supposed to be here tomorrow. Their first email just had a date for pickup of the faulty unit and didn't say much about the replacement. I was worried I was going to have to wait for them to receive the faulty unit before sending out the replacement but that wasn't the case.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Siemens today..install was easy..I already had an electrician install a 240v before I received the charger

I love it so far ( got it for $799 on amazon ).  The only thing I cant figure out is:

at 1:50 minutes into the charge, my battery in the fusion was at 95%.  The charger still showed CHARGING after 2:45 minutes and the car said in was 100% charged...the CHARGING light did not turn off until after 3 hours and 20 minutes....that's 1:30 minutes more for 5%.

Is this typical for a 240v charge?  ( this was my first 240 charge )

Thanks

It depends.  If you sit in the car going through all of the goodies without it being in RUN mode it will drain the 12 volt battery.

Using the global window down/up function has 4 (5 if you have a moon roof) motors running at the same time.

There are many systems running off of the 12 volt battery.

The 12 volt battery is not a full size battery. 

Unfortunately Ford has not published the specifications for the battery other than 390 CCA which is totally meaningless in this car since it doesn't have a starter motor.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one and am very happy with it.  Here's why I bought it:  1) compact configuration, the cord wraps around the unit, 2) longer 20 foot cord than most units means I can reach a car on either side or our carport,  3) since we have a carport the unit is somewhat exposed to the outside environment so I like having a NEMA 4 enclosure.  4)  I also liked the delay timer but discovered when I got my Energi (I had the charging station installed before it came) that I could use the Value Charge feature of the car to force the charging into Georgia Power's lowest rate period (11PM - 7AM -- 1.3 cents/KW hour).  

I've been using it for six weeks now without a problem.  Would recommend it to anyone.

I just installed this one two days ago and it charges very quickly, but as a consequence, it no longer charges up to the 20 miles that the 120v charged to. It will only go as high as 17 miles or 18 miles at the most. Is this normal since its only quick charging it? Turn on the heater and you're down to 13 miles before you start your commute. 

What is the difference, if any,.between the Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge Electric Vehicle Charger and a 240V charger.

And, also, I plug in my car to the 120V charger every evening when I get home from work and it's fully-charged the next morning.  Is there any reason I should spring for the 240v charger other than for a quicker charge?

Edited by Hardp

Last Q for now.  the Owner's Manual says you can't use an extension cord with the charger.  Is that an absolute rule?  What if I use a very heavy duty cord?

The problem is that most long extension cords are 16 gauge wire to minimize the copper.  That is good for about 7.5 amps.  With the 120 volt charger going as high as 15 amps you need at least a 12 gauge extension cord and 10 gauge would be better.  I have tested a 14 gauge 50 foot extension cord laying on the ground and stretched to its full length.  The cable gets warm which means all of the wasted power isn't going into the battery.  That means it will take longer and cost more to charge the battery.

What is the difference, if any,.between the Siemens VC30BLKB 30-Amp Bottom Fed VersiCharge Electric Vehicle Charger and a 240V charger.

And, also, I plug in my car to the 120V charger every evening when I get home from work and it's fully-charged the next morning.  Is there any reason I should spring for the 240v charger other than for a quicker charge?

Charging at 240 volts is way quicker (usually 2 hours for me) and is more efficient.  I am retired and sometimes make multiple trips during the day so my 240 volt charger gets a lot of use.  Preconditioning (heat or cooling) works much better with the 240 volt charger.  There is also a 30% tax credit on the installation of a 240 volt charger.