Ford Fusion Energi Forum

got the wrench light

mergy

The wrench light also came on when my 12v battery was dead.  The car initially did not respond to the charger after I jumped it, but that's when the wrench light came on.  I jumped the car again and waited about 20 minutes or so and then plugged the car back in.  It responded to the charger and everything was fine; the wrench light went out.  The dealer had said I shouldn't drive the car if the wrench light was on.  

Knock on wood, my 12v battery seems to be fine now and it's as if that ha never happened.  I still do not know why my 12v batter was dead that one time.

Good luck mergy!

The manual says it has something to do with the power train. Nice. I have about 3500 on the Energy now since mid-June.

I'm taking it in to the Ford Dealer tomorrow.

Your car might need the wrench light TSB to update the PCM module.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3584/tsb13-06-22.htm

The wrench light could also indicate a charging fault.  You would have to look at MFT EV info screen to see that.

o Cluster - Upon a charger fault, the BCCM and BECM can request the P/T malfunction indicator on the instrument cluster (amber wrench light). No specific message to point to the charge system which is similar to other onboard requests for this telltale.

o 8" Centerstack Screen - A charging fault message will be displayed in 8" centerstack.

Same experience here. The battery seemed to get better after they did the TSB around the DC convertor and I did a 240 charge at a local Chargepoint charger in the area. 

The wrench light also came on when my 12v battery was dead.  The car initially did not respond to the charger after I jumped it, but that's when the wrench light came on.  I jumped the car again and waited about 20 minutes or so and then plugged the car back in.  It responded to the charger and everything was fine; the wrench light went out.  The dealer had said I shouldn't drive the car if the wrench light was on.  

Knock on wood, my 12v battery seems to be fine now and it's as if that ha never happened.  I still do not know why my 12v batter was dead that one time.

Good luck mergy!

Super-helpful! Thanks! I will pass this on to the "Service Manager" in charge of my account. Thanks everyone!

The wrench light could also indicate a charging fault.  You would have to look at MFT EV info screen to see that.

o Cluster - Upon a charger fault, the BCCM and BECM can request the P/T malfunction indicator on the instrument cluster (amber wrench light). No specific message to point to the charge system which is similar to other onboard requests for this telltale.

o 8" Centerstack Screen - A charging fault message will be displayed in 8" centerstack.

Your car might need the wrench light TSB to update the PCM module.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3584/tsb13-06-22.htm

Got my Energi back after a week at the dealer. 

The wrench light kicked-up because the electronic coolant pump was burned out. After further investigation, the electronic coolant pump connector was melted and the pin was melted. They noted the connector pin was not inserted all the way inside the the harness connector possibly causing arcing and the damage. They had to splice in a new wiring pigtail and replace the electronic coolant pump and they also had to replace the blown 50 AMP fuse that probably blew with the arcing happening. 

So, I got that going on. The delay was really getting the parts and Labor Day weekend.

They didn't mention it as part of the battery issue. If there was some sort of short or something, I could see that as being part of the issue in presenting a mystery draw that would drain the 12v. All good so far after this. 

I'm glad the issue was identified and resolved.  Did the dealer say this was causing your 12v battery issues too?