Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is 40 mph believeable

jupitermap

I have NEVER gotten under 40 mpg in the 33,000+ miles on my FFH. My all time mileage average is 43.4 this is calculated not from the computer. If you can not get over 40 mpg in the city you have terible driving habits. Just pay attention to EV mode and drive in EV whenever possible this is not hard to do. No hyper mileing is required to get 40's. Getting 40'son the highway is also very easy. I have not one doubt in my mind that I could drive your car in your town and never get under 40 mpg. All you need to do is drive moderate and not try to be the first to every light, take off moderately and back off to stay with traffic while driving in EV this is easy at any speed under 45mph. If you can not get in the 50's in town you should just sell the car and get a gas only car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also heard that getting 40 or better in city driving is pretty easy.... not sure what's going on with OP.

It's not that it's pretty easy, it's insanely easy, you don't even have to try. There are many bad habits that I have witnessed on this site from what people have posted. There are to many very small tips that would just take to many words and people would just argue. The funny thing about that is they are the ones that just can't get the numbers. I think I will get 100,000 miles before I will ever have a tank under 40 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that this post was on MPH and can you get higher than 32 MPH in the city.

Sorry the first time I read this I was talking MPG. To answer MPH I can easily go over 40 MPH in the city or ay other road that I slow below 47 MPH.

To drive above 40 mph it is best to accelerate to the desired speed and then let off to go in EV mode. If you try to accelerate from a stop or even while driving slow in EV mode you will very seldom have enough stored energy to reach 40 MPH.

This method of accelerating to desired speed below 47 mph is the trick to getting higher mileage numbers in the city. It just takes far to much energy to get this car rolling in EV mode and it wastes the charge of your battery. Momentum is your friend when using EV the further you go in EV the less gas you will burn. You can go maybe a block or two in EV mode going from a stop up to speed, or you can go over two miles using no gas in EV mode after you gain forward momentum. It is also better for the cars driving behind you if you go with the flow with a moderate rate of acceleration. I'm not talking about jump starts like the average driver uses, just moderately above a light start up.

The key is go as far as you can burning no gas in EV and to not be wasteful while you are burning gas. Learn to store as much charge as possible and use it wisely after you store it up. No hyper mileing tricks are needed to get 40-50 mpg in town.

Remember all this depends on the amount of stored energy you have in your battery, it is not all cut and dry. It is easy to achieve once you understand how every thing works. The further you stretch your miles driven while using no gas the better your mpg numbers, unless of course you are being wasteful when you are in the fuel burning mode, which is where you spend most of your time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is definitely in your driving habits. Driving in the city, suburbs, country, or a small town can a world of difference in mileage. Then there is the weather variables. The weight of the energi vs the hybrid also needs to be considered. 

A

Edited by FusionEnergi

We live in the DFW area and we get 39 in the winter and summer and 40 in the spring and fall. Trips to Alabama achieved 42. We use the same theory as DennisW- try to bring the battery down to 1/4 full when putting it away and don't accelerate using battery.

ChuckJ

It might also do some good to change your instrumentation to show the amount of electricity being used.  On level ground with the battery level at half you can hold over 40 MPH without getting on gas.  When you get below half battery you can probably only hold 35.  This gauge is helpful is judiciously using your battery, which increases mileage.

ChuckJ