Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What were they thinking?

lokicat

Seriously, $75K+ for a dressed up Volt?

http://www.cadillac.com/future-cars/elr-electric-car/reservation.html

Why would anyone want this instead of a Tesla for the same money or less (more tax rebates on Teslas)?

I was considering this if it was in the $50K range fully loaded. Thank you GM for making the decision for me!

Edited by lokicat

LOL ..I want some of the finest wallboard, granite, and marble in my car along with some stainless steel appliances and a multiple showerhead shower system please. I just need some wood planks in my car to justify the extra $35,000.

Now you can reserve your all-new ELR, with an MSRP* starting at $75,000. The interior of this luxury coupe is a destination unto itself, with exquisite, handcrafted touches throughout and unexpected materials that rival those found in the finest homes. The artfully sculpted exterior is the perfect integration of form and function. Of course, the technological centerpiece is an advanced electric drive propulsion system designed to move you far into the future.

I think the cadillacs are ugly anyway.

Edited by dlb92

I agree, not sure what they were thinking here. Would have though they would have been reaching at $60,000-$65,000. Never thought the car would go that high and try to go head to head with the Tesla, especially with out increasing the size of the battery.

Having said that, I hope it works as I would like to see this type of car succeed.  I wish the MKZ would have had an energi version I would have strongly considered it. 

Where are the specs? I think in order for this technology to take off more manufactures need to compete with the fusion on battery size and price. I've owned many cars that cost more than 45k. However, the fusion energi at 42k is NOT something I would have considered. Once the price dropped and the incentives and tax credit made it 30k, I suddenly became interested. It was only then would I switch from my truck to this.

Early adopters need to be lured in. I doubt too many non EV owners are willing to TRY this new technology for 75k.

There is a market for Cadillacs...  they basically took the Volt and ramped it up to that particular luxury car standard and there are people who drive nothing but Caddys.  The MKZ does have a hybrid offering but I have no idea how well that is selling.  And I remember 1 or 2 people had mentioned they would've preferred an Energi Lincoln over the Fusion.  I would assume the price point is so high because they're not going to give hardly any options with it, much like the Focus Electric.  It'll just come with everything.  And I'd love to see the engine specs.  Nothing at present says it's going to be just a 4 cylinder... they may shove a V6 under there.  I know V6 motors are getting much better economy nowadays.  I drove an Impala earlier this year as a rental and got well over 35 highway with that. 

Price is important and the Volt is selling decently enough.  I'm interested to see how well this particular iteration sells (after all, we're all in this to go green, save money at the pump, etc).  Cadillac isn't my cup of tea as I don't care for the styling (and honestly, I don't care for the latest look of the Lincoln offerings either). 

In all honesty I'm not into this to go green. I'm not into it to save the planet, or even save gas money. What got me into it is emerging technology at an affordable price. Sure, I'm glad I'm saving money on gas, but I've driven a gas guzzler for 20 years and am well prepared to do it for the next 20.

A car with an app. A electric car - I was intrigued. So far I like it a lot. I'm not a ford guy though I've owned a few. I'm looking for as tylish automobile, loaded with features. If the Cadillac offers that I'll take a look. But $75k will keep me away for sure.

Having said that, I hope it works as I would like to see this type of car succeed.  I wish the MKZ would have had an energi version I would have strongly considered it. 

Agreed.  My next door neighbor has a black MKZ hybrid.  While I definitely prefer my FFE to his hybrid, I would have considered the MKZ Energi if it had existed...

Price is important and the Volt is selling decently enough.  I'm interested to see how well this particular iteration sells (after all, we're all in this to go green, save money at the pump, etc).  Cadillac isn't my cup of tea as I don't care for the styling (and honestly, I don't care for the latest look of the Lincoln offerings either). 

Didn't Chevy recently lower the list price of the 2014 Volt by $4K? The Cadillac guys should have learned from their Chevy cousins that price matters.

You can buy an Escalade Hybrid for that kind of money!

I definitely agree that it is way over priced...

Regards,

APM

Well, the Escalade Hybrid starts at $74,425.  But I digress... all of their sedans are less than half the price of the ELR.  Even their super sedan, the CTS-V, starts at 64k.  I'd need to see a lot more specs on the car to see how that cost would be justified.

I also stand corrected by Dag... didn't really consider that there might be those who would consider a green car outside of saving at the pump. :)

Well, the Escalade Hybrid starts at $74,425.  But I digress... all of their sedans are less than half the price of the ELR.  Even their super sedan, the CTS-V, starts at 64k.  I'd need to see a lot more specs on the car to see how that cost would be justified.

I also stand corrected by Dag... didn't really consider that there might be those who would consider a green car outside of saving at the pump. :)

Ha - the pump savings certainly were a nice bonus - don't get me wrong.  I do like that for sure.  But more to my point is that I'm likely not the "Target" audience for this vehicle, and yet they got my attention, and got me to purchase one.  They lured me in with the styling, and technology.  If the EV world is to continue to expand, more people like me will need to be shown the way.

At 75k, I'd rather buy gas.  I'm ok with that! :)

I was talking to a friend today and he said he'd consider the Caddy.  The reason- he's about 6 foot 6 and wants a two door car so he can roll the window down and put his arm out.  On a four door the B pillar is right where he'd like to put his arm.  Goes to show there's a million reasons people buy cars!