Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi in SoCal

ColdFusion

Just picked up a shiny new black 2013 Energi SE after a ruinous divorce from my G37s (she took all my money for gas and left me with an over mileage bill).

So far loving the car and all the technology- it's definitely a departure from my previous sports sedans (BMW, STi, and G37) but I think I'm more excited about this car than any of the others.

Appreciate the great tips and tricks so far on the boards.

Cheers!

Welcome - great great choice in color!  My other ride is an '05 G35.  110K miles on it but it is still fun to drive.  Funny - I do everything possible in the Energi to maximize mpg, but every so often I have to get in the G35 and waste some gas - not care about regenerative braking or accelerating too fast.  Also, In the MFT website, I listed the G35 as a comparison point.  I've got just over 1900 miles on the Energi and compared to the 18 mpg on the G35 I've saved over 80 gallons of fuel and a "Blimp" worth of CO2!

Nice! So far I'm loving the car, and figuring out the best way to drive it. I have a 32 mile commute (each way) and most of it is on the freeway with a lot of hills. I've been using EV later for most of the freeway and then moving it to ev now or auto for the long downhills to recharge via the regen.

Also, I Finally found a wall outlet near my work so I can be less stingy on ev time, but I'm concerned about someone stealing the charger...anyone have any thoughts on how to prevent charger theft?

I've had 2 thoughts on the charger.  First is to use a heavy duty extension core and then lock the charger to the car (haven't looked for a good lock point yet).  the second is to crack the window open and, using an extension cord, keep the charger in the car and just have the cords run out.  Neither are optimal...

I parked on top of the cord once and it seemed to do a number on my cord, rubbing against the floor and tire. I think too much weight and friction will eventually damage it.

I once saw a Volt that used a bike lock, the kind that looks like a U and locks at both ends of the "U". They put this through the gaps of the wheel and locked the charger in there. Not sure if it will work for our wheel but maybe someone will get an idea, maybe a rope type chain thats thinner.

If you park close enough to the receptacle, you can wrap the cord once around the steering wheel and roll the windows up so there's not enough room to pass the plug or charger holster through the gap.  I've been doing this in my parking garage for the last few months and haven't had a problem. Depending on available spaces I may roll down both windows and pass the cable all the way across the front seat and wrap it around the steering wheel.  There's no way anybody could horse the cable off the wheel, so the charger is safe.  I do NOT pinch the cables in the window.  There's about an inch or two of free space.

Oh yeah, make sure you lock the car.

• 1 month later...

LMAO!!! 2 inch gap!! you're more worried about the charger being taken but with a 2 inch gap I could easily stick something in the window and just unlock the car and unwrap the cord from the wheel and take anything else I want. 

Here is an idea....Drill a hole through the black trigger to allow a pad lock to be put on, then you cant push in the trigger to release the handle and if they want to really take it then they will have to break it and it will be useless anyways. But at least this way they don't also have access to your interior or your not killing the cord by parking on it. Just a thought. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • chargerlock

Hi Everyone, I'm new here looking to get an energi model soon. I was thinking about the cord theft and had an idea to share. If you use a bike and pad lock secured to a post nearby to your parking spot you may be able to provide some security for your charger cord. Check out the freehand sketch I drew...after I figure out how to upload to this site...
Edited by cxt153

• Hi Everyone, I'm new here looking to get an energi model soon. I was thinking about the cord theft and had an idea to share. If you use a bike and pad lock secured to a post nearby to your parking spot you may be able to provide some security for your charger cord. Check out the freehand sketch I drew...after I figure out how to upload to this site...

hello cxt153 and welcome to the site. You might want to start here: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1203-how-to-use-this-site-post-photos-your-control-panel-etc/?p=6462 for how to use the features of this site.

Edited by meyersnole