Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Navigation -- Car's location not accurate

mikenmar

Anybody else have a problem with the navigation wherein the car's location is not accurately represented on the map?

I was driving in the San Jose/Mountain View area last night, and the navigation was completely off.  It seemed to think the car was somewhere else, e.g. a quarter mile or so away from where it really was. 

The weather was clear, not a cloud in the sky.

I haven't noticed any issues with the car's physical location, but I HAVE noticed a pretty significant discrepancy between the center console navigation screens and the selectable turn-by-turn in the instrument cluster.  On occasion, the console would tell me to merge right while the one in the cluster would tell me to go left.  It was really weird.  I had the big map up so I knew where I had to stay, but that was confusing as to why one would say right, and the other left...

I think problems with the navigation are really dangerous when they occur while you're driving.

If you're in an unknown area, you're immediately lost.  And you're looking down at the map trying to figure out what's going on, instead of paying attention to the road like you normally do. 

It's not so bad when the instructions disappear completely, but at one point, the map had me on a completely different street and was trying to tell me to make turns that were either nonexistent or simply wrong. It took me a bit to realize what was going on.  Adding to this, it was at night, and it was that much harder to discern street signs.

If you ask me, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

There were planty of TSA's for the C-Max Nav system and it took a while for the problems to get resolved. Nav issues were a big disappointment for me, but everything seems to work ok now. I still have the system freeze up and self-reboot once in a while, but the Nav works pretty well.

I should have added that around this same time, I had problems with the system freezing up during the route calculation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^^^ I don't think that's the problem.  It happens routinely now, and it happens even when the sky is completely clear with no obstructions anywhere nearby.  And it isn't just a matter of waiting; the problem may persist for 10 minutes or more.

I had it happen today when I was driving around between San Jose and Sunnyvale.  Not a cloud in the sky.

Every time it happens, it looks like the car's location on the map is about 1/4 mile or so away from my true location.  It moves along in the same direction as the car, it's just off by some fixed amount in a given direction.

Edited by mikenmar

^^^ I don't think that's the problem.  It happens routinely now, and it happens even when the sky is completely clear with no obstructions anywhere nearby.  And it isn't just a matter of waiting; the problem may persist for 10 minutes or more.

I had it happen today when I was driving around between San Jose and Sunnyvale.  Not a cloud in the sky.

Every time it happens, it looks like the car's location on the map is about 1/4 mile or so away from my true location.  It moves along in the same direction as the car, it's just off by some fixed amount in a given direction.

Weird.  I was in Sunnyvale today by the haunted Toys R Us at Pep Boys and it was spot on.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone,

I'm seeing a couple of different navigation issues coming up in this thread and I wanted to address them both.

First of all, check your account at: www.Support.Ford.com to make sure you're running the latest software (even if you're not having any issues). It's always best to stay current :).

If your MyFord Touch system is freezing or taking a little while to catch up to your actual location, this is not how the system is intended to run. I suggest performing a master reset to the system: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch

Since this is an Energi forum, I want you all to keep in mind that a master reset will delete all of your saved data in the system. This means that you will need to pair your phone again, add your favorites, walk through the MyFord Mobile verification process, etc. The positive side to the reset is that it could potentially save you a trip to the dealership.

If you're looking at the map and you can see the car moving along like normal, but it's not where it is supposed to be on the map, you should have your dealership address this concern to see what is causing the discrepancy. I am not able to recommend any basic troubleshooting to resolve this type of concern.

Kim

I haven't noticed the location being off (although I don't normally have the nav screen up and rarely actually use the navigation), but I did notice that my car once thought I charged a half mile from home (it was shown as an unnamed charge profile).  I'm guessing since the location was off (and my default profile is "charge now" - only home is set as "value charge"), it caused the car to charge immediately when plugged in rather than wait until rates go down at night.  Not a huge deal for one night, but could add up if it happens often enough.

I haven't noticed the location being off (although I don't normally have the nav screen up and rarely actually use the navigation), but I did notice that my car once thought I charged a half mile from home (it was shown as an unnamed charge profile).  I'm guessing since the location was off (and my default profile is "charge now" - only home is set as "value charge"), it caused the car to charge immediately when plugged in rather than wait until rates go down at night.  Not a huge deal for one night, but could add up if it happens often enough.

Hey Kybuck,

As of right now, I don't suggest any troubleshooting. Keep an eye on this to see if it is creating a new unnamed charge profile every time, or if that was just a random occurrence. 

Kim

OK I've made a few posts on the thread about MFM not showing my car in the correct location, that's just a haha since it doesn't affect my driving.  Well this morning was something new as my navigation in the car did the same thing while I was on the road - so now this was affecting my driving.

5:26AM - Almost to I-95, and as usual I hit the map to see what fun traffic is in store... and was surprised to find that I was driving in the middle of the ocean off the coast of Indonesia!

Map2_zps250965d4.jpg

5:30AM - on I-95 and eject the A4 navigation card (the A5 card is currently in my wife's car) and and screen now tells me to insert the nav card, which I did, no change as I am still driving near Indonesia. 

5:32AM - I figure hey if this is where the nav system thinks I am, I wonder what the weather forecast might be... so I pull that up and I am now in Calais! The only Calais I know of is in France, but from googling there is also a city by that name in Maine -- however I am nearby neither.

Map3_zps198e2c69.jpg

So then I hit the 'Map' button to the right of '5-day' to show the current weather map to see if there were storms on the horizon there in never-never-land, but then found that my travel adventure was now over and it showed me the DC area, and then going back to the main navigation map I was back home again and the traffic feed from Sirius was there and all was back to normal.

OK I've made a few posts on the thread about MFM not showing my car in the correct location, that's just a haha since it doesn't affect my driving.  Well this morning was something new as my navigation in the car did the same thing while I was on the road - so now this was affecting my driving.

5:26AM - Almost to I-95, and as usual I hit the map to see what fun traffic is in store... and was surprised to find that I was driving in the middle of the ocean off the coast of Indonesia!

5:30AM - on I-95 and eject the A4 navigation card (the A5 card is currently in my wife's car) and and screen now tells me to insert the nav card, which I did, no change as I am still driving near Indonesia. 

5:32AM - I figure hey if this is where the nav system thinks I am, I wonder what the weather forecast might be... so I pull that up and I am now in Calais! The only Calais I know of is in France, but from googling there is also a city by that name in Maine -- however I am nearby neither.

So then I hit the 'Map' button to the right of '5-day' to show the current weather map to see if there were storms on the horizon there in never-never-land, but then found that my travel adventure was now over and it showed me the DC area, and then going back to the main navigation map I was back home again and the traffic feed from Sirius was there and all was back to normal.

Hi jeff_h, 

This is very strange. The next time you're in the vehicle, pull up navigation again. If the location is off, try accessing SiriusXM Travel Link again to see if the location of your vehicle switches back to the correct one. From your prior post, it sounds like this may be affecting it somehow. 

Hopefully this was just a one time occurrence. If not, I suggest bringing your Fusion to the dealership in order to diagnose. 

Kim

Edited by FordIVTteam

• 1 month later...

Well it tends to only act up every 1-2 months with the strange location... today I'm happy to be back on dry land, but it's hot out here in the desert near Abu Dhabi... don't know if it's something with MFM, my ISP, or my car that makes the location inaccurate every now and then, and at next login the car will be back home in VA.

MFM_Location_27Sep14_zps5c1fcf7a.jpg

You could look at the diagnostic screen for MFT and see what GPS coordinates the car thinks it is at.

The car would need to be 'on' for that, right?  Once I turn it on then things straighten up and fly right, except for that one time my nav screen said I was off the coast of Indonesia... but in most cases, it's the location showing on the MFM web site that gets quirky.

Last night I turned on MFT while the car was off.  This morning, the rear view camera was not working and following DTC was recorded:

B115E - Camera Module Not Configured

I'm not sure if this is referring to the front or rear camera. 

It took me a while to figure out how to fix the problem.  I simply entered MFT diagnostics mode again, but this time with the car turned on.

Edited by larryh

• 2 weeks later...

We had our car show up as being in the mountains of West Virginia charging recently rather than at home. After we drove it the next time it was ok. My parents have had their C-Max Energi show up as being in Illinois, Indiana & South Dakota at various times when the car was actually at home charging.

larryh, on 28 Sept 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Hold down the eject button and then press the fast forward button.  Keep them depressed until the diagnostic screen appears.  You can then use the menu system to navigate to APIM and then to GPS. 

What can you accomplish in this mode?