Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Request for Installation of Charging Stations Letter

SteveEnergi

Hi community.  I decided to post a modified "form letter" that I have been sending to local malls and restaurants in my area encouraging them to install PHEV charging stations.  I decided to make it available to the community, so if inclined, you can do the same.  I have to say that I already had success at one outdoor shopping area.  The idea is to make it simple for the potential businesses to become aware of the growing PHEV market and how inexpensive the stations are.

Note: Everything in brackets [ ] should be replaced with the business you are targeting, as well as your name, where appropriate.

Good luck and if you have time, please spread the word.  Steve

====================================================

Hi [manager name], my name is [my name] and I am a Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) owner.

Each day there are more and more PHEV and electric only vehicles on the road which is positively affecting our environment and decreasing our dependence on foreign oil.  Our vehicles have various electric only ranges, so we look for and encourage more businesses to install the Charging Stations.  The ideal location for charging stations is where someone will be for a couple of hours, such as a [mall name or restaurant].

This effort can be a boon to your business.  The PHEV owners specifically look for public PHEV stations when we are looking to dine at a restaurant, or shop.  For example, [town name] has stations all over town from their parking garages to the [mall name].  This is a perfect opportunity for the [mall name or restaurant] to install a station or two and advertise that you have such a station(s).  You may be the first in our area. [PHEV Station], just down the road from the [mall] has a station which works perfectly for diners.

Please consider having a Level 2 charging station installed for your patrons.  The PHEV community is very active and word of mouth of new charging stations spreads quickly among us.  Level 2 stations are around $2000.  There are various manufacturers on the market. 

Here is a link to one of the USA manufacturers.

http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-1/CS-dsh-40/Detail.bok

The EV infrastructure tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers and 30% up to $30,000 for businesses.

Please see the link to the Department of Energy.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/US/10513

If I can be of further assistance, or if you have any questions, please email me.

Thanks for considering the installation of PHEV charging stations.

[your name and email]

My goal was to promote the installation of charging stations since there are very few in my area.  It's up to the business as to whether they will charge for the use of the station.  Keeping in mind, I'm focusing on malls and restaurants.  I do not think a restaurant would charge for the use of a station, but a mall might.  From a marketing standpoint, it's best that the chargers be free to use at malls and restaurants.  At a mall, potential customers will linger longer and possibly spend more because their car is charging.

The outdoor shopping center that I mentioned in my post will be owned by the managing company (private), not a lease or 3rd party.

I imagine parking garages will probably charge for the use.  If you have $5 month programs, I think that is a reasonable price especially if it covers multiple charging locations.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I like your letter a lot. That's a great idea. It might help to point out to business owners that the actual cost of the electricity per charge is negligible, and will easily be offset by the additional revenue due to length of stay of ev'ers. Everyone knows the longer a customer stays the more drinks, appetizers, and desserts they purchase.

The letter would need to be updated in general (credit has expired and charging station price changes).  I think mentioning the low cost is a good idea, maybe something like "uses so little electricity, it's equivalent to adding an extra light to your parking lot" or whatever would be comparable.

Assuming level 2 charging for the Energi, 3.3 kW max.  Standard parking lot lights, depending on technology, would likely be anywhere from 150 to 400 W (0.15 to 0.4 kW).  So ~8 to 20 parking lot lights per active charge.  And that's for the 3.3 kW max for the Energi - pure electrics can often charge at a higher rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Great idea, SteveEnergi! I often plan where I am going to have lunch or shop depending on the availability of charging stations. Then I go out of my way to tell the restaurant/store manager why I am in their establishment that day. I'm also trying to encourage them to advertise on the free Volta charging stations. 

It's discouraging how few charging stations there are. If I'm going to be parked for at least an hour, it just makes sense to have a charging station available. 

Another irritation is to be totally unaware that a charging station exists at a particular mall until I just happen to accidentally drive by it. I have cards from Blink and ChargePoint, and have emailed Volta, but none of them send out notices when new stations are installed. 

I have found the current apps for locating charging stations to be lacking. Is there a new one that anyone would recommend? Thanks. 

When I use a public charging station, I attach the following note to the open charge port door that says:

"If you are driving a 100% EV and need this charger, call me and I will come move my car. My cell # is -------------."

Also, I check MFM to see when the charge is complete and try to get back to my car around the same time. 

Just a thought ...