Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Front End Sits Too Low

SteveEnergi

I find it disappointing how low the front end is on the car.  I drive the car carefully but still manage to scrape the underside of the front end when I'm turning into a steep driveway, or exiting.  You almost have to come to a complete stop to make it up the driveway without scraping the underside.  That's difficult to do when making a left during a high traffic time.

I already have a small indentation on the front lower grill and scrapes.  Only 700 miles, so this is a bummer.

Anyone else having concerns about the front end?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just went over one of those speed humps and got a very small rub....should have slowed down quicker, but wanted to max regen. What saved me was not hitting the hump straight on or it could have been worse. Bought some touchup paint. I love the tuxedo black, with all those sparkles you can't even notice where the touch up paint was added. Yeah, the front end seems a little low.

Go at a 45 degree angle. I go over road humps like that all the time. I scrape the tire/wheel defectors all the time on Parking spot  wheel stops (those concrete 6" tall things at the front of spots. I just learn where they are in relation to my nose to stop short.

There's one particular parking lot in the city that I just cannot get into without scraping, so now I just avoid it and park a block away.  The lot in question has a steep incline to it right at the street.  A really lousy design.  After 2 scrapes trying to get into the parking lot driving at a snails pace, I gave up. 

Steve

Mine scrapes.  I don't worry about it since my car is just a daily driver that will end up with a couple hundred thousand miles like my last daily driver.  I haven't looked at the damage yet, but I certainly don't notice it without looking for it.  But if you are worried about it you'll have to suck it up and not drive into those areas.  As for the little concrete "stops" they're really there to keep you from driving into the building, not necessarily to give you some arbitrary place to rest your tires.  For years I drove my truck and it didn't matter where I stopped but would go to the concrete stop mostly since the crew cab full size truck is so long.  When I drive my Boss 302 the splitter is VERY low and I have to be very, very careful not to get anywhere near that curb.  That training has served me well with the Fusion.

I too consistently rub the tire/wheel deflectors coming out of my daughter's school and sometimes when parking up to spaces with the concrete humps.  If I'm extra slow and go in at the right turn angle I can avoid it, but oncoming traffic doesn't always allow for slow/careful.  I felt better knowing it was these deflectors and not the chin...at least in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

Coastal Electronic Technologies makes an interface to My Ford Touch which, among many other features, allows for a camera under the front bumper to view the parking stops when you are parking.  It activates when driving forward at 4mph or less.  Also a side-rearview mirror camera which activates when changing lanes.

http://www.coastaletech.com/fusionlockpick.htm

post-432-0-68889700-1385916135_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...