Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Complete Stop or Rolling Go Energy Use

SteveEnergi

Hi

Maybe there are some engineers out here who may have figured this out already.

Do you think it's more efficient coming to a complete stop; gaining 100% regeneration of energy, or not quite stopping completely?  Not that I condone not stopping completely at a stop sign.

Do you use less energy with a rolling "go" than you would gain by completely stopping the car?  I know traditionally you use less gas by a rolling "go" than coming to a complete stop, as it takes more energy to move the car forward from zero.

Steve

It actually requires more energy to get something moving from a dead stop than it does to accelerate something already in motion, so your last statement is the correct one.  When I commute to work, the traffic lights on my route are very predictable, and I've pretty much learned how to anticipate what they're going to do.  For the most part, I can almost get to work without touching the brakes at all, but there are days when other drivers don't cooperate. :)  If a light is red, I let off the accelerator and coast up to it, or will very gently ride the brake depending on how much distance there is.  Sometimes other drivers will try to fly around me, only to race up to a red light and stop, but it'll usually turn green just as I'm getting there.  Conservative driving FTW. :)

It actually requires more energy to get something moving from a dead stop than it does to accelerate something already in motion, so your last statement is the correct one.  When I commute to work, the traffic lights on my route are very predictable, and I've pretty much learned how to anticipate what they're going to do.  For the most part, I can almost get to work without touching the brakes at all, but there are days when other drivers don't cooperate. :)  If a light is red, I let off the accelerator and coast up to it, or will very gently ride the brake depending on how much distance there is.  Sometimes other drivers will try to fly around me, only to race up to a red light and stop, but it'll usually turn green just as I'm getting there.  Conservative driving FTW. :)

Thanks, you're pretty much confirming what driver's have known for quite some time.  More specifically though:

"It actually requires more energy to get something moving from a dead stop than it does to accelerate something already in motion"

Yes, (any physics people out there to run some math?) but are we using more energy to move forward than we would "generate" from completely stopping?

This is almost an "inside" question that Ford engineers would need to answer because do we know how much we gain from 100% regen?  How much energy is gained from completely stopping compared to a rolling say 2 mph roll.

It seems like a rolling "go" is less energy expended vs. gain from a 100% regen stop.

Thanks

I read on Ford's website that regen captures up to 90% of the braking energy from a stop, so you don't capture every single electron from stopping.  Steady and consistent driving will always yield better range than stop and go driving, but instead of wasting ALL of that potential energy as heat from friction while stopping, the system can stuff it back in to the batteries for later use.  I like to think that I'm running the A/C or heat with free energy from stopping. :)