Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Quite the hassle. Returned from a 32 day trip to find my 2013 Fusion Energi electrically dead. There was no power at all. What to do. With the Energi they moved the battery to make room for the plug-in and did not think it through. You need access to the remote battery to jump start and operate the car. The charging port will not/did not work with the small 12 volt battery drained. The jump battery is in the trunk and there was no power available to open the trunk. Guess what, there is no manual opening system on the outside of the car. Your mini key inside the fob will open the door, but the trunk release is operated electrically. Well, the first call to my dealership service department said I should use the mini key. I searched the rear trunk area for a key slot and found none. Called back and by looking at a similar car that was in the shop, they agreed there was no key slot for the trunk. We both came up with the only solution. Lower the back seats, then find something to pull the Emergency trunk release on the inside upward to open the trunk. Since I was in my garage, I was able to find a pole tool that worked and opened the trunk. Good thing I was not in an Airport Parking lot. Mind you, without the electric functioning, it would have been another ordeal to unlock the transmission so it could be towed somewhere.

Hi steepdeep,

You actually jump the car using the positive and negative contacts under the hood.  You don't jump the 12v battery in the trunk.  Although it still is a hassle to open the door using the little key on the fob or the little key inside the other. 

Check out this post and Dag has a nice picture showing the positive and negative posts under the hood.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1220-preparation-before-your-12-volt-battery-dies/

There is another post from another member about how he conditions his 12v battery every 6 months.  My battery was dead once overnight without any explanation and the dealer was unable to diagnose the problem since I could not duplicate the problem.  I have conditioned my battery once since I have a battery charger.  I have not had an issue with my 12v battery since that one episode.  But it really is an unnerving situation to be in.

Refer to Owners Manual page 219-220.   

Jump starting is also a topic listed in the index of the owners manual, page 3.

Connecting the Jumper Cables

Your vehicle has a 12 volt battery that has two prongs accessible from under the hood. 

Your vehicle can be jumped the same way conventional vehicles can be using the prongs.

The illustration below shows the two connector prongs used for jump-starting your vehicle.

Edited by Energized

Thanks for the good link. The manual photos with the black and white "lines" in the picture sure looked like water hoses to me and made no sense looking at the front of the engine. The specific side of the engine (diver's side) and the red positive post cover which is removed in the manual pic, would have been nice to be able to look for and would have been quite helpful.