Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

The ICE is loud.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   meyersnole

meyersnole

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid Plug-In Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Mine seems to have quieted down, since I have put a lot of highway miles(ICE) on mine, with several trips up to NoCal.   Maybe the loudness is also an ICE break in issue?

My guess is that you are getting use to the sounds. Only a decibel meter would tell you for sure. 

White Platinum 2013 Titanium Fusion Hybrid Plug-In

296525.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   musicalgreasemonkey

musicalgreasemonkey

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Mercury Milan Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

I agree, these Ford I4's make a lot of noise; had an '09 Fusion and now drive a 2011 Milan Hybrid; the ICE is a bit loud, with a low growl. Specifically, I've noticed it on Ford 2.3 and 2.5 I4's; my brother has a Focus 2.0 I4 and I don't notice as much engine noise, that's a smooth engine. Can't speak for the 2.0 atkinson/hybrid setup, haven't driven one yet. You do get use to it, but I haven't noticed it as much on non-Ford I4's.

My guess is, because the exhaust is on the back side of the engine compartment versus the front, it's close to the firewall (very close), and so it seems normal that there would be more engine "grumble" coming through. I'm not sure if there was a standard practice in the past for exhaust at the front of the engine compartment (or perhaps exhaust on the back has always been a Ford thing), but these newer Fords have them turned around (perhaps for emissions, helps heat up the cat. quicker). I don't know a lot about exhaust design, but I suspect that having the exhaust on the backside of the engine, you are going to hear more sounds (maybe this has no impact). Take it for whatever it's worth, but you will get use to it. :)

Edited by musicalgreasemonkey, 03 March 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:22 AM

I've always chalked this up to it being an Atkinson cycle engine that revs higher than a conventional engine.

• 4cylinder likes this
377260.png

#24 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 128 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

The ICE was uncomfortably loud on my 2013 hybrid, even when I replaced the plastic intake under the hood with one that included the job 2 muffler.

I think it's just poor noise canceling, because I saw a serious improvement in quietness when I switched to the 2017 Energi. Even when I put the pedal to the metal it isn't as loud as the 2013's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·