Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is Ford Fusion Energi least reliable electric car?

Charlie3831

Consumer Reports (December 2013 issue) puts Ford at very bottom in the predicted-reliability scores. In Hybrids/Electric Cars category, Ford C-Max Energi, Ford C-Max Hybrid, and Ford Fusion Hybrid sit at the last 3 places. Since Fusion Energi is almost the same as Fusion Hybrid, I'd think its reliability should be similar to Fusion Hybrid.

I have my new Fusion Energi for only 2 months with about 2500 miles, so far it already has one problem. The Check Engine light turned on 5 days ago and stays on since then. Manual mentions some possible reasons regarding to fueling, but the gas was fueled one month ago. I am not sure if it is related to cold weather (it is very cold here these days).

I think the majority of Fusion Energi owners have the car for less than 1 year. Based on your experience, how reliable do you think your Fusion Energi is? Do you have any problem with the car so far?

I have owned my car since the end of May, and I have been trouble-free so far.

Consumer reports rolls a LOT of things in to 'reliability' including the infotainment system.  My idea of reliable is having it start and roll every day (powertrain reliability).  I'd like to see how that particular category rates in comparison to everybody else.  Most complaints that I've noted on the forum is mostly MyFordMobile concerns, Go Time concerns (for early releases), issues with the one-touch windows...  it's all little things as far as I'm concerned.

I have had mine for almost 2 months and have thankfully had no difficulties. This car has been very reliable in all respects since I picked it up. Now the C-Max I replaced had a few issues, the worst being a nagging 12 volt battery problem that caused me to replace the C-Max. I am sure that things will crop up in the future but with 2502 miles on the car (on the first tank of Gas :dance: ) so far so great!

7½ months, 11,500 miles, only issue is the 1" x 6" piano trim piece near the driver side mirror that pops out by ½" at the top and catches wash mitt when I wash the car (nobody notices it but me), which needs to be pushed back in.  Will ask them to glue it in better when I take it for dealer for inspection in May.  Otherwise, no issues and not sure that the above would really count as an issue.

I'm not sure how are they rating the reliability of these cars... I have had mine since April and I have about 6500 miles on it. I have had a few issues but none of them mechanical or that would affect the performance of the car.

I had problems with the sync module, it was replaced under warranty. I had the sagging trunk issue, it was fixed via a TSB. I had three of the door grab handles pop out, they were replaced under warranty. I had the ping pong sound coming from the front end, fixed via the TSB.  

Again, none of these issues really affected the performance of the car, however, having to deal with the dealers (pun intended) service departments was a pain. Most of the repairs above took several visits as they didn't know how to fix the problem or suggested there was not a problem For 2 of the three repairs (the sagging trunk and the door grab handles) I had to escalate the issue to the Regional Ford Service Office. One Ford got involved the problems were solved in a hurry!

I'm really happy with the car and I would purchase it again in heart beat!

Regards,
APM

Edited by apm

I agree in that reliability should be judged on the drivability of the car.  The little outages are inconsequential.  Currently I have the window issue and go time issue as well as saggy trunk.  All of which will be addressed at my service appointment.  I still wouldn't say that the vehicle isn't reliable.

I think it's a great car and probably the finest PHEV on the market.

Steve

4630 miles; 8 months; the driver's-side sun visor came out of its socket. So far that's it. I would not be shocked if there are problems down the road since this is a new Fusion model, but I will accept it so long as Ford does the recalls as needed. We FFE owners are risk-taking "early adopters" but I was willing to take the chance. 

I have been a subscriber to Consumer Reports for many years. The survey about reliability is done by subscribers/car owners - not the magazine. The article in this month's CR is based on the results of a survey given out to car owners in the Spring of 2013, so there couldn't have been many FFEs at that time. I started looking in March of 2013 and the FFE was scare as hens teeth. There were only 2-3 in the whole city of Phoenix at that time. In fact, plugin hybrids weren't even mentioned in the CR survey - I know because I filled it out. 

I had heard that there were complaints about Ford's Sync system and I suspect that is the reason for most of the bad ratings. As for the reliability of the FFE, only time will tell. So far I love the car. I was horrified by the good ratings for Toyota. Maybe for the Camry, but my 5-year experience with a Prius was sometimes a nightmare. And Toyota was NOT receptive. 

The only problem I've noticed is the same issue jeff_h has with the black plastic trim near the driver's side rear view mirror. I did have a beige plastic trim piece drop out of the roof, but I can't figure out where it belongs.  Looks like one of the plugs on the roof liner, but all are in place. It might have been an extra part that was stuck under the passenger sun visor and finally fell out when I braked.

Of course I'm not counting the two Sync crashes.  You can't hold Ford responsible for a Microsoft product.  That'll be a real hoot if Mulally takes over Ballmer's job. Maybe we'll get more frequent patches. 

I agree in that reliability should be judged on the drivability of the car.  The little outages are inconsequential.  Currently I have the window issue and go time issue as well as saggy trunk.  All of which will be addressed at my service appointment.  I still wouldn't say that the vehicle isn't reliable.

I think it's a great car and probably the finest PHEV on the market.

Steve

Steve - let me know how the sagging trunk issue works.  Had mine fixed a week after getting it.  While it may be slightly better, it is by no means fixed.  Instead of closing all the way down on my slight incline driveway, it now only goes down about 75%.  Still useless if you need 2 hands to lift something out of the trunk.  More of a dance now - open the trunk, use my left upper arm to hold it upon then lift out my packages.

Edited by SD Diver

I have about 2700 miles on my FFE Titanium and had the Go Times not syncing problem that was finally fixed with a TSB software install.  Mechanically, the car seems very solid and so far all the trim is staying in place.  I agree that the car is so new that reliability ratings gathered in early/mid 2013 should taken with a grain of salt.   It seems the service departments are not so sure how to work with them at this time, mainly because of the software, electronics, and HVB integration.   I previously owned a Prius as an early adopter and never had a single problem with it in 6+ years, however it is not a comfortable car.

7½ months, 11,500 miles, only issue is the 1" x 6" piano trim piece near the driver side mirror that pops out by ½" at the top and catches wash mitt when I wash the car (nobody notices it but me), which needs to be pushed back in.  Will ask them to glue it in better when I take it for dealer for inspection in May.  Otherwise, no issues and not sure that the above would really count as an issue.

Yea I have the same problem with the trim pieces on both sides of the car. 

I also had a dead 12v battery and that ended up being replaced when I first got the car.

Antidotes aside, CMax had 12 volt battery issues last winter and a couple of other issues. Check their page for details, but they had things we (Fusions) didn't have to suffer through since they got the bugs out for us, so to speak.

I think to other big issue was the general dislike for My Ford Touch system and the bugs it 'had.'

Car still running great. Today got 43 EV miles out of a 66-mile trip with 5 stops. In EV Auto. Air temps from 54 to 75. Half street driving; half highway. 

I have had the Sync system go dark a couple of times. Then it runs a maintenance check after a few disconcerting blank-screen minutes. But that's not the car. 

Also thought there was something wrong with my Nav system when it would suddenly not give voice turn-by-turn directions. Then discovered there is a "Mute" button in the Nav settings. I know I didn't purposely select "mute." I wonder if a Sync update/maintenance check put the setting back to "Mute." Will have to try the Nav next time to see if I've fixed it. 

After being gone for 2 weeks,today I came home to a dead 12v battery.  AAA came over to jump it for me.  Oddly enough, the car had been on the charger for the whole time.  After being jumped, it texted me that the 12v battery was low and that the car should be plugged it.  Odd...

During those two weeks did you request the car's status via MyFordMobile?

I suspect that the only way to keep the 12 volt battery charged in a long term situation is to connect a battery maintainer to the battery.

During those two weeks did you request the car's status via MyFordMobile?

I suspect that the only way to keep the 12 volt battery charged in a long term situation is to connect a battery maintainer to the battery.

You would think the programmers for the car would of added a line in the code to charge from the wall if the car is plugged in and unused for weeks.

12V battery hits pre-determined level and goes into preserve mode. Code should follow as:  If car is plugged in then start charging 12V else continue shutting down unnecessary stuff/send alert about battery level.