Ford Fusion Energi Forum

SE Audio Upgrade

Gigi

My only disappointment with the Fusion Energi SE is the lack of bass response in the audio system.

Has anyone added a subwoofer to the stock audio system?  What did you use?

There are two holes in the parcel shelf where the Titanium subs would be mounted - 6x9 it looks like.  I am thinking of building a couple of crossovers and using the existing rear door speakers as midrange, adding the stock Sony tweeters to the rear doors, and sending the bass to a couple of decent 6x9 subwoofers in the parcel shelf.  Has anyone tried this? 

Does the stock audio system have enough "umph" to move bass speakers?  I'm not talking about wanting to feel a "thump."  I just want to hear more bass range.

Oddly, the bass range isn't too bad when playing from the USB or from Bluetooth.  It's just the radio and Sirius that sound really thin.  The Sirius does not sound anything like CD quality.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay a subscription fee for the service.

My F-150 Lariat has the oem subwoofer option and does a good job of giving me a lower end to my music.  I hate that the radio in my truck sounds better than the radio in my new car.

My only disappointment with the Fusion Energi SE is the lack of bass response in the audio system.

Has anyone added a subwoofer to the stock audio system?  What did you use?

There are two holes in the parcel shelf where the Titanium subs would be mounted - 6x9 it looks like.  I am thinking of building a couple of crossovers and using the existing rear door speakers as midrange, adding the stock Sony tweeters to the rear doors, and sending the bass to a couple of decent 6x9 subwoofers in the parcel shelf.  Has anyone tried this? 

Does the stock audio system have enough "umph" to move bass speakers?  I'm not talking about wanting to feel a "thump."  I just want to hear more bass range.

Oddly, the bass range isn't too bad when playing from the USB or from Bluetooth.  It's just the radio and Sirius that sound really thin.  The Sirius does not sound anything like CD quality.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay a subscription fee for the service.

My F-150 Lariat has the oem subwoofer option and does a good job of giving me a lower end to my music.  I hate that the radio in my truck sounds better than the radio in my new car.

I have the Titanium package so I am not familiar with the SE sound system. I just wanted to comment on Sirius and FM. FM can also have a limited band with, but it is usually much better then satellite.

For Sirius, most of the stations have serious compression to allow for many channels. I agree with you, if you subscribe for music I think you are much better with creating some mp3 CDs ( I assume the SE system supports that ) or an ipod. Even a 128kbs mp3 will sound better then the compressed file on Sirius.

I put a modified system in my last car, and I do not think I will do that again. If you are just looking for more bass, have you considered something like this? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html?tp=114&awkw=25288855105&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6488475985&awdv=c

Installing a subwoofer will interfere with active noise cancellation.  The subwoofer will rattle when active noise cancellation is active as the engine revs.

I have measured the subwoofer response for the Titanium.  It is good down to about 30 hz.  I am not familiar with the audio system in the SE.  You might want to give it some more time to break-in to see if it improves.

Edited by larryh

Thanks for the suggestion myersnole.  I've put a ton of music on a USB and I'm pleased with that.  Pandora over bluetooth also works well.  I have listened to Sirius in rental vehicles in the past and I thought the fidelity was much better than what I am hearing in the Ford.  I'm hearing all kinds of high frequency effects of compression, a "thready" sound, that just isn't pleasant.

larryh.  Tell me more about noise cancellation.  What do you think the system's response would be?  The Titanium is apparently able to deal with frequencies down to 30hz as you have measured.  If the sound is being produced by the audio system, shouldn't the SE audio system recognize it as its own and leave it alone?  I think I'll take my laptop out to the car tonight and run a sound generator and see how far the system can go.  I doubt I will hear a response below 55hz.

I put a modified system in my last car, and I do not think I will do that again. If you are just looking for more bass, have you considered something like this? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html?tp=114&awkw=25288855105&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6488475985&awdv=c

I still have that particular subwoofer out in the garage, as I had used a modified sound system in my Focus.  I had a JVC HDR1 head unit, which was one of the first stereos to have HD built in, used infinity 5x7 2 way speakers in the doors, and had that Infinity Basslink in the trunk.  The car sounded great, even at somewhat elevated volume levels.  The stereo itself didn't have enough oomph to push the door speakers a whole lot, but for the most part, it was plenty loud, and that subwoofer sounded fantastic.  It was plenty loud in the car, but you didn't hear it a whole lot outside.

As far as Sirius goes... the music was compressed SO much that I would've thought I was listening to a 32kbps MP3 file.  Aside from that, I couldn't find a channel that played music that I enjoyed in particular, so I elected to not renew the subscription.  Sirius has been spamming me ever since trying to get me to sign up again.  Another reason Sirius may sound so bad is that the car has such a good sound system that we can hear all the imperfections with it.

HD radio in the car sounds great, but not quite up to a good MP3 or CD, but that also depends on the station.  Some stations must have weird equipment that gives some odd sound in the high range... it's hard to describe... metallic, maybe?  At least it's far more fuller than Sirius could be.

For Gigi, in the Ford Fusion Hybrid forum, a few people have upgraded their sound systems in the Titanium cars and all of them have said that the active noise cancellation really messes with the subwoofers.  I think they found a way to deactivate the active noise cancellation so their system is unaffected.  If you chose to leave the active noise cancellation enabled, you'd have to fine tune your new system so it sounds good, but doesn't interfere with that system.

Edited by Russael

You can find out more about active noise cancellation here:

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-2013-ford-fusion-hybrid2658-active-37160

It uses the audio system in the car to cancel engine noise.  The sound system is always on, even if you turn off the audio.  It was designed for use with the current set of speakers.  It will probably get confused if you add a subwoofer. 

Edited by larryh

You can search the fordfusionhybridforum.com to see other people experience installing subwoofers and aftermarket speakers.  There are a few people that have tried there.  The Titanium package adds a subwoofer amplifier in addition to the subwoofer speakers. 

Edited by larryh