Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2013 Fusion Energi Suffers from Sloppy Programming

murphy

Evidence of sloppy programming in the 2013 Fusion Energi.

1. Do the dance with two IA keys to display the default code for the keypad on the driver's door and it displays the code in reverse order.  If the actual code is 23946 it is displayed as 64932.  No competent programmer would let a mistake like that get into the field.

2. Do the dance with two IA keys and an unprogrammed key to add the unprogrammed key to the car and it doesn't work

3. The WPA2 security key for the WiFi client is limited to 10 characters.  That indicates that whoever did that has no understanding of WiFi security. That key could be as long as 63 characters.  A WiFi client should not be placing limits on the security key length.

4. Preconditioning the car at 240 volts never gets the cabin temperature anywhere near the set temperature.  Preconditioning needs to start much earlier.  I don't know where the energy is going but it is not making it to the cabin air.  I think my 1500 watt ceramic heater running on 120 volts would do a better job.  That would be 1.5 kWh if run for an hour.  Preconditioning often takes much more power than that.

:redcard:

Is anyone familiar with the performance of preconditioning in other PHEVs in cold weather?  If it is around 10 F, how long does preconditioning take?  What temperature is the car's interior after it completes?  And how much electricity does it consume?

Edited by larryh

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone familiar with the performance of preconditioning in other PHEVs in cold weather?  If it is around 10 F, how long does preconditioning take?  What temperature is the car's interior after it completes?  And how much electricity does it consume?

Don't waste your time with preconditioning with those ambient temperatures, if using 120V charger. Just remote start your vehicle (must be outside due to ICE firing up). I just remote start it with the temp set at 80 degrees. It runs for 15 minutes. When I go out an  hour later, it's plenty warm for me and the battery is full. Yes, it burns gas and uses the HVB. It uses way less energy than preconditioning for an hour and ending up with a cold vehicle.

Evidence of sloppy programming in the 2013 Fusion Energi.

I have 2 more.

1) Ambient lighting setting is lost between car starts (if you set it to a color other than yuck blue)

2) Surround sound mode setting is lost between car starts

Oops! They must have forgotten to persist those settings. On the bright side this probably saved about 2 lines of code. 

I have 2 more.

1) Ambient lighting setting is lost between car starts (if you set it to a color other than yuck blue)

2) Surround sound mode setting is lost between car starts

Oops! They must have forgotten to persist those settings. On the bright side this probably saved about 2 lines of code. 

It doesn't lose the setting nearly that often for me but it will default them both.

Mine is a random couple of weeks and suddenly I can see my feet when driving, sigh, turn the ambient lighting back off.

The loss of surround sound is about twice as often.

Edited by shaggy314

MFT isn't the only system that performs "scheduled maintenance".  Last night, the software for the displays on either side of the steering wheel decided to reboot itself while I was driving.  The displays simply blanked out and came back in a couple of seconds with the "ready to drive" notification.  MyFord Mobile reported incorrect information about the trip.  But nothing else was affected. 

Edited by larryh

Well, at least it reboots on the fly.  It'd REALLY suck if the car had blue screens of death, and you had to turn your car off and on again to reboot it. :)

You forget this is a Microsoft product, so you'd need to control-brake-push start with the left blinker on...

Hey everyone,

I saw a couple of you mention that your ambient lighting is returning to the default color and won't save the setting. I've had owner's report this issue after upgrading to V3.6.2. Unfortunately, basic troubleshooting will not resolve this concern. The next time you're in for service, bring this to your dealership's attention so it can be properly documented and diagnosed. Specific ideas and suggestions about the MyFord Touch system can be shared here so others can vote: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ Ford's Product Development Team skims through these ideas periodically for insight and inspiration from other owners. 

You can also send your feedback to me and I'll share it; just send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, and phone number and I'll submit it. 

Kim

Hey everyone,

I saw a couple of you mention that your ambient lighting is returning to the default color and won't save the setting. I've had owner's report this issue after upgrading to V3.6.2. Unfortunately, basic troubleshooting will not resolve this concern. The next time you're in for service, bring this to your dealership's attention so it can be properly documented and diagnosed. Specific ideas and suggestions about the MyFord Touch system can be shared here so others can vote: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ Ford's Product Development Team skims through these ideas periodically for insight and inspiration from other owners. 

You can also send your feedback to me and I'll share it; just send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, and phone number and I'll submit it. 

Kim

The surround sound setting for the Sony stereo reverts back to stereo after the car is turned off and on.  It isn't persistent.  Been that way with the old versions of Sync as well.

I would like someone to verify a problem that I just ran into running a Vehicle Health Report.

Your car must have more than 200 miles on the odometer.

Put one of the trip meters on the left display.

Clear the trip meter and leave it displayed.

Attempt to run a VHR.

Do you get a message on the center console telling you that you have to have more than 200 miles on the car to run a VHR?

When I switched back to the normal display I was able to run the VHR.

Edited by murphy

Hi murphy,

I followed your instructions:  Brought up one of the Trip Meters, cleared it, and kept it displayed.  Ran a VHR.  It was successful.

Thanks for doing the test.  Now I don't know what to think.  My car passed 200 miles a very very long time ago.  An attempt at a VHR was aborted three times in a row with the message saying I had to have at least 200 miles on the car to run a VHR.  Trip 1 was on the left display and had just been reset prior to starting the attempts.  I changed the left screen to the normal display and the next attempt at a VHR went through.  The VHR report on the web site had no errors.

The surround sound setting for the Sony stereo reverts back to stereo after the car is turned off and on.  It isn't persistent.  Been that way with the old versions of Sync as well.

Hi Russael,

I've had a few other owner's report this as well. Make sure you bring this to your dealership's attention the next time you're in for service to make sure the issue is documented correctly. 

Thanks for doing the test.  Now I don't know what to think.  My car passed 200 miles a very very long time ago.  An attempt at a VHR was aborted three times in a row with the message saying I had to have at least 200 miles on the car to run a VHR.  Trip 1 was on the left display and had just been reset prior to starting the attempts.  I changed the left screen to the normal display and the next attempt at a VHR went through.  The VHR report on the web site had no errors.

Hi murphy, 

It's difficult to tell what caused that to happen. Did you have anything plugged into the on-board diagnostics port? The Vehicle Health Report will not run successfully if anything is plugged into this. 

Kim

Hi murphy, 

It's difficult to tell what caused that to happen. Did you have anything plugged into the on-board diagnostics port? The Vehicle Health Report will not run successfully if anything is plugged into this. 

Kim

Nothing was connected to the port.  The only thing I did was remove the trip 1 display from the left screen.  As soon as I did that the VHR went through.

Nothing was connected to the port.  The only thing I did was remove the trip 1 display from the left screen.  As soon as I did that the VHR went through.

Let me know if you have any other issues running a report. As long as the odometer shows that you've gone over 200 miles, the report should go through no matter which screen you're on. If you notice this happening again, I'll get this reported. Just send me a PM or reach out to me on here. 

Kim

Kim:

Since you're on the thread, my left display has beeped and flashed something a couple of times but whatever the issue goes away in milliseconds and you can't see anything but a part of a dialogue box disappearing.  Have you had any experience with that issue.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, 

Are you still able to control the left cluster with the steering wheel arrows once this disappears? Since you're only seeing it for a split second, I can't be certain which alert is popping up. Check page 80-83 of the owner's manual (3rd printing) to see if you recognize the symbol: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13fhyom3e.pdf If it turns out to be something related to MyFord Touch or MyFord Mobile, let me know if you have any questions. 

Kim

• 1 month later...

MFT isn't the only system that performs "scheduled maintenance".  Last night, the software for the displays on either side of the steering wheel decided to reboot itself while I was driving.  The displays simply blanked out and came back in a couple of seconds with the "ready to drive" notification.  MyFord Mobile reported incorrect information about the trip.  But nothing else was affected. 

I was able to read some more DTCs from the various computer modules in the car.  I observed the following which explains why the car rebooted the display:

Code: U0155 - Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module

One possible explanation is the display software crashed and stopped communicating with the rest of the car. 

I also observed the following communication errors:

Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With ABS Control Module

Code: U0146 - Lost Communication With Gateway A

Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM

Code: B130C - Load Shed Control - Circuit Short To Ground Or Open

With all the traffic that goes on with the CAN Bus, apparently intermittent errors occur once in a great while.

Edited by larryh

• 2 weeks later...

I am having problems with loosing my address book contacts.   I have several hundred of them and all of a sudden most will be gone.  For some reason a lot of them in the A-F (I think that's right) remain and a few in the T-Z but all the rest are gone.  I've done a full system reset several times but the problem keeps recurring.  I have a Nokia 1020 Windows 8.1 phone and ATT is the carrier.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any known solution?

I am having problems with loosing my address book contacts.   I have several hundred of them and all of a sudden most will be gone.  For some reason a lot of them in the A-F (I think that's right) remain and a few in the T-Z but all the rest are gone.  I've done a full system reset several times but the problem keeps recurring.  I have a Nokia 1020 Windows 8.1 phone and ATT is the carrier.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any known solution?

Hi markb,

Since it sounds like the contacts are downloading fine initially then disappearing later, it seems that the Automatic Phonebook Download setting could be causing this issue. I suggest turning Automatic Phonebook Download to OFF once all contacts are downloaded to MyFord Touch again. The instructions are listed at the bottom of this page: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/manage-phonebook-sync-myford-touch 

Kim