Ford Fusion Energi Forum

FINALLY got the memory seats to work with handle grab entry

Mr. Fusion

After 33 days at the dealer, many computer module swaps, and a "Ford says it's working as designed", I finally have my memory seats adjusting to my door handle grab entry on my 2013 Titanium Energi.

Pressing the unlock button always set the seat memory, but never a passive door handle grab entry.

I took my 2013 Titanium Energi along with the page of the owners manual that says BOTH entry types will set the memory seats and mirrors into the dealer.

After confirming that another Energi on the lot DID set the memory seats with a door grab, they took my car in. They had my car from December 12th to January 15th. Replaced a few computer modules, had regional service reps involved and couldn't fix it.

I got a call on 1/15 saying "Car is working as designed. The 2013 don't set memory with a handle grab, only the 2014, even though all 3 owners manual prints has this feature in there". The car they proved it worked on the lot was a 2014. "But we'll keep asking the regional rep about it"

Very disappointed, I took the car back. The following Monday I get a call saying the regional rep wanted to put a few lines of code in there as an experiment. I took the car in, and now everything works. Door handle grab now sets the memory seats and mirrors.

He said literally this fix will create a TSB for others to use. Called me a Hero to others having this problem. I don't consider myself a hero, just a person trying to not jam my knees on the steering wheel after my wife used the car, lol.

So if your Fusion Titanium door handle grab isn't activating the memory seats, there should now (Or soon) be a TSB out there.

** Credit to Ford... They gave me a 5 year, 75,000 mile Extended Premium warranty because my power steering went out twice before this problem. Out of the blue. Easily a $800 warranty. THEN, the dealer applied for and received authority to refund 1 month car payment and Sirius subscription because they had the car so long. All while having a nice 2013 Focus as a free loaner during a salty winter month.

Frankly, you are a hero to those who just deal with the problem.  Good going, and thanks to you, a lot of people are going to be much happier who wanted that feature to work but couldn't gain any traction like you did.  It's a shame it took an entire month for it to happen and a ton of people who seemingly wanted to just blow off the problem.  "Working as designed" is a cop-out.

Frankly, you are a hero to those who just deal with the problem.  Good going, and thanks to you, a lot of people are going to be much happier who wanted that feature to work but couldn't gain any traction like you did.  It's a shame it took an entire month for it to happen and a ton of people who seemingly wanted to just blow off the problem.  "Working as designed" is a cop-out.

The first dealer I took it to said "I have a 2012 Edge, and only the unlock button works the memory." And I said "I have a 2011 Explorer and both do it fine." Convincing them it was a problem was half the battle.

The month did contain 2 holidays and some really cold days that stopped shipments. But they literally put in a module, and had "Many things stop working". They thought they had a bad module, and ordered another one. When it did the same thing, Ford realized they had a typo in the catalog for the part number.

I'm just happy they didn't give up on fixing it.

It was almost like a staring contest. I wasn't going to say "Just give me my car back"

Thank you Mr. Fusion for your perseverance!  I don't think I would have let my dealer keep my Energi for a month.

I have never even checked to see if the seat memory works with just grabbing the handle.  But you can bet that I will now!  And if this fails I will wait for the TSB.

You really are a hero.....

• 2 weeks later...

...I get a call saying the regional rep wanted to put a few lines of code in there as an experiment.

Whoa. I'd like to put a few lines of code in mine.

As soon as the Mr. Fusion TSB is published I'll take mine in! Maybe a Ford rep will keep us posted with updates on this...

Oh and thank you Mr. Fusion!!

Edited by mmmhmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

I took mine in to the shop today to get tire roationed, tsb updates and the driver side window strip fixed again. I inquired about the door handle grab feature and was told it was removed and is not available any longer. I have to wait till the tsb is released. They did order all the parts to replace the slosh sound heard from the tank when full.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

For those who have had the TSB done, what happens when both fobs are present? My wife & I often go places together in the Fusion. When I grab a handle the doors unlock because my fob is nearby. When she grabs the passenger handle the doors unlock again because her fob is in her purse. How does the system work after the update? Does the memory seat only respond to the fob that unlocks the driver's door? Does it respond to the first fob to be detected unlocking a door?

Thanks!

For those who have had the TSB done, what happens when both fobs are present? My wife & I often go places together in the Fusion. When I grab a handle the doors unlock because my fob is nearby. When she grabs the passenger handle the doors unlock again because her fob is in her purse. How does the system work after the update? Does the memory seat only respond to the fob that unlocks the driver's door? Does it respond to the first fob to be detected unlocking a door?

Thanks!

If you decide to head to your dealer, please let me know. I'll be happy to check into this further. :)

Meagan

Thanks!

The seats start moving once you unlock your door with a handle grab. I'm actually amazed at how good it works. If you have your key with you and you grab the driver door, it will go to that key's setting regardless if the passenger has a key or not. 

It's really good an knowing where that key physically is at. If you leave it in the cup holder, it won't let you lock the doors with a handle touch either.

The seats start moving once you unlock your door with a handle grab. I'm actually amazed at how good it works. If you have your key with you and you grab the driver door, it will go to that key's setting regardless if the passenger has a key or not. 

It's really good an knowing where that key physically is at. If you leave it in the cup holder, it won't let you lock the doors with a handle touch either.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to having this fixed.

It appears that this still doesn't work. After having this work done was it necessary to reprogram the memory seats or anything like that to get it to work?

Additionally the climate control settings for remote start are now grayed out. This issue has happened to a number of FFH owners and appears to be because the dealership interrupted the installation of the update so the data is corrupted...

It appears that this still doesn't work. After having this work done was it necessary to reprogram the memory seats or anything like that to get it to work?

Additionally the climate control settings for remote start are now grayed out. This issue has happened to a number of FFH owners and appears to be because the dealership interrupted the installation of the update so the data is corrupted...

My offer to look into this further still stands. Just send me a PM with your mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

I'm here at the dealership now.  They've completed the synthetic oil change and tire rotation, and they just performed the reprogramming recall.

So, I did ask for all of the modules to be updated to the latest calibrations, and the dealership is willing to do it... for a price.  Considering it is non warranty related (and the part that really sucks is that NOBODY else can do this without a computer and access to the calibration files), they're doing it at a discounted labor rate since they can just set the computer and wander off, and then come back and check it after a half hour or so.

The car has a LOT of modules... something like 12 to 15.  And every single one has a new calibration.  Some are minor bug fixes... others are very substantial and have had many updates between initial and now.  Time required to update them all is around 6 hours, so I'll be here a while. :)

Edit - there are 10 modules.  Looked bigger as a list on paper. :)

Edited by Russael