Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EZ Pass transponder location

meyersnole

So I plan to head up North again on another road trip and want to join the modern society and take advantage of the EZ Pass lanes.

I went to my state site to see what I needed to do to get this started and ran across this in the FAQ:  https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/hard_case_mounting.pdf (where to mount).

It seems that the primary and alternate locations seem to be where the lane assist camera is on the windshield. My question is, has anyone else successfully tried the hard case transponder?  Did you put it just below the camera? Any concerns?

They make an external transponder, but I really do not want to put a tag on the front of the car if I do not have to (messes with symmetry).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't use my EZ Pass often, so I keep it in the little compartment under the dash next to the cigarette lighter power plug.  When I approach the toll gate, I just set the transponder on the dash up where the headlight sensor is located. (Center of the dash, as far forward as possible, directly under the rear view mirror.) Haven't had a problem so far.  I really don't want that big white box stuck up on my windshield permanently.

Below pic shows where my EZ Pass is located - this is an EZ Pass Flex, which has a separate sliding switch on the bottom that owner slides left/right to disable charges when they have 3 or more in the car, since the new toll lanes on the beltway are free for those with 3+ but charge for 1-2 in the car.  it is certainly visible in that area but I need it accessible to slide the switch to the left and right as needed.  And it's at least twice as heavy as my old EZ Pass, had to go to the service center to get more adhesive strips for the back and have 5 of them to keep it in place.

EZ_Pass_zpsdee7ad75.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

The way jeff_h has his set up never worked in my old car.  I used to get those tickets by mail when my transponder was behind those dots.  That's why mine is to the left of those dots.  It's very unobtrusive in that location.

Strange - I've used Dulles Toll Road and 495 Express Lanes probably 40-50 times with the transponder in this location on the Hybrid and now on the Energi, has never failed to register properly.

@jeff_h, I used to take the ICC to Baltimore and it would never work.  Never really tried the 495 express lanes but I do wish Maryland had the transponder with the switch for driving in VA.

I've used it in that position on the ICC, I-95 tunnel through Baltimore, Bay Bridge, Harry Nice Bridge, Delaware Memorial Bridge, PA Turnpike, NY Thruway... never had pickup problems.  If there's a small battery in these transponders maybe yours needs replacing?

Edited by jeff_h

@jeff_h, It's a new transponder.  It could have just been my old car.  I had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata prior to this and it had some weird quirks.  I haven't had to use it in the Energi because I don't take 200 anymore now that I work on the other side of Baltimore.  I am driving to Philadelphia in two weeks so I will give it a try and let you know the results.