Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Check Engine Light

smokewagon

My check engine light came on today, car has 3000 mi on it, this is the first problem. I have a scan tool and will check it tonight. I dread dealership service departments !

I once had a 1992 f-150 5.0l, I never brought it to the dealer for anything, then one day I get a recall notice in the mail it was for fuel tank transfer valve update, good till 10 yrs or 150,000 mi. I finally worked up enough nerve to hand my baby over to them at 148,000 mi., they weren't happy. I told them the trick was if you filled both tanks always burn the rear tank first then there was no problem so why have it fixed.

Anyways they did the recall work which required dropping both tanks, then they tried to charge me 50 bucks for a fuel filter change. Didn't happen.

smokewagon,

The Service Engine Soon (engine) light illuminates when there is an OBD II DTC.  It should be readable with a scanner.   I have observed several associated with using the engine block heater: P1A18, P1A19, P0AEE, P0BCD.  There are several internet sites that can be used to look up these codes. 

I believe ET mode displays DTCs associated with the Powertrain Fault (wrench) indicator light.  I haven't found any source that explains these DTCs. 

If the light stay illuminated for more than three cycles of turning the car on and off, then you should have the dealer investigate the problem. 

Edited by larryh

OK, Thanks for the info, first off the service engine soon light went off before I got home last night and I did not have time to put the scan tool on it. I read your other posts on EBH use and it all makes sense now, I use the EBH several times a week, it is on a timer for 2.5 hrs,

and the engine light has never displayed. The day the light came on I bypassed the timer and the EBH was on for about 5 hrs. So the post are right about EBH use.  Thanks for the help and info, I hate to think what a service department would tear into over nothing, even if it were under warranty.

Smokewagon,

Hi smokewagon, my fusion energi is 6 days old with 230 mi. The check engine light came on Sunday. Took the car in yesterday. They installed TSB 13-12-17, which cured the problem. Do not know what the bulletin fixed. Sorry got the letters reversed. .

Edited by alexpj

On 2/11/2014 at 8:14 PM, larryh said:

You can find more info on that TSB here and subsequent posts:

<bad link removed - Jeff>

Yeah I browsed through that one before and saw it mentioned, but was looking for the PDF to read it fully and post on the thread where people can easily find them.  If you can find that, that would be great!

Edited by jeff_h
Spam

• 1 month later...

Hi smokewagon, my fusion energi is 6 days old with 230 mi. The check engine light came on Sunday. Took the car in yesterday. They installed TSB 13-12-17, which cured the problem. Do not know what the bulletin fixed. Sorry got the letters reversed. .

I had the exact same thing happen with my brand new FFE yesterday.  (Bought five days prior, car dated 09/2013).  Almost exactly as I crossed 200 miles.  Was also the first time I'd run the heater, which might have figured into the situation.

Code reported:  P2183

Fixed by TSB:  13-12-17

Was fixed in 30 minutes though I took the documentation from this forum with me as a kickstarter.  

Thanks everyone.

-Steve

I just had my check engine light turn on yesterday... read code P2183.  I'll have to schedule a trip to take it into the dealer, hopefully the TSB fixes it.  I'll also have them replace the broken grab handle while I'm in there.

Kybuck,

Once you have a dealer appointment scheduled, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll lend a hand.

Ashley

• 10 months later...

BRAND new FFET, 1K miles, 2nd tank of gas, and haven't even made the first payment, and...

Check Engine light?  SERIOUSLY?!?

Off to the dealer to vent, read the code, and hopefully quickly resolve the situation.  This is not a reassuring development, given my apprehension about purchasing a Ford.  Guess there's a reason those Consumer Reports bubbles are filled in the way they are... :(

I'm guessing my vehicle should be new enough that TSB 13-12-17 doesn't (or shouldn't) apply - but the amount of software running in this vehicle - there's plenty of opportunity for new bugs.

I'll report back here with what I discover.

BRAND new FFET, 1K miles, 2nd tank of gas, and haven't even made the first payment, and...

Yeah that's frustrating, but it happens with all makes and models...but frustrating nonetheless.

Ask the dealer if they can tell you what the error code is (we are curious), as the CEL will likely result in one being stored... or it will probably be listed on the repair order once you get the car back.   

Check Engine light?  SERIOUSLY?!?

Off to the dealer to vent, read the code, and hopefully quickly resolve the situation.  This is not a reassuring development, given my apprehension about purchasing a Ford.  Guess there's a reason those Consumer Reports bubbles are filled in the way they are... :(

I'm guessing my vehicle should be new enough that TSB 13-12-17 doesn't (or shouldn't) apply - but the amount of software running in this vehicle - there's plenty of opportunity for new bugs.

I'll report back here with what I discover.

How did your dealer trip yesterday go? I want to see how I can best assist.

Meagan

• 10 months later...

2015 Fusion Energi, 3500 miles. Had the engine light come on, but seems to be running fine. Couldn't get into dealer for 2 weeks, but a mechanic friend read the code and it was P2183. I didn't see a reference to 2015 Fusion on TSB 13-12-17. Is this likely the fix for my car as well?

Dave

It is doubtful that your 2015 needs a software update from 2013 (that TSB). P2183 should be a coolant temp sensor. Likely the sensor or its wiring is faulty somehow. Or the coolant itself needs topping up or something.

My check engine light comes on all the time if I unplug the car when it's at about 50-90% charge.  I am using a Juicebox charger, though I'm not sure that is all that relevant?  When I unplug it I immediately know it's about to happen because the ring starts flashing. Then when I get in the car and try to start it it asks if the car is still plugged in, I say no and it lets me start but the CEL stays on for a few days.  Anybody else see this type of behavior.  I can't remember what I did with my code reader so I haven't read the code yet, but since I know the cause I'm not too worried about it... just curious if it's the car or the JuiceBox that's not doing something right.

My check engine light comes on all the time if I unplug the car when it's at about 50-90% charge.  I am using a Juicebox charger, though I'm not sure that is all that relevant?  When I unplug it I immediately know it's about to happen because the ring starts flashing. Then when I get in the car and try to start it it asks if the car is still plugged in, I say no and it lets me start but the CEL stays on for a few days.  Anybody else see this type of behavior.  I can't remember what I did with my code reader so I haven't read the code yet, but since I know the cause I'm not too worried about it... just curious if it's the car or the JuiceBox that's not doing something right.

When disconnecting a J-1772 plug, while charging is in progress, push the button and wait for the EVSE and the car to negotiate a shutdown.  You should be able to hear the relays drop out.  Only then remove the plug from the car.  Otherwise the contacts are being pulled apart while current is flowing and that will cause arcing which is not good for the contacts.

When disconnecting a J-1772 plug, while charging is in progress, push the button and wait for the EVSE and the car to negotiate a shutdown.  You should be able to hear the relays drop out.  Only then remove the plug from the car.  Otherwise the contacts are being pulled apart while current is flowing and that will cause arcing which is not good for the contacts.

Guess I've never been patient long enough (I usually don't pull it off when it's charging anyway) but tested it out today and sure enough... haha.  Thanks :)

• 6 months later...

So I've been keeping a careful eye on this. Haven't had many disconnects prior to full charge since posting this but when needed I paid close attention.  It appears that it wasn't a me being impatient issue before... sometimes the car just doesn't disconnect. I held it for over a minute on several occurrences with no disconnect. I've been having more and more problems with the car thinking it's still plugged in after it has been unplugged (properly), driven around on/off a few times then suddenly "Is the car plugged in?".  Ugggh. 

While I was getting a key replaced I asked the Ford dealership to look at it and make sure it had all of the updates available.  They had it for two days, did the key 30 min before I came to pick it up and told me they couldn't reproduce the problem and it was fully updated.  I don't think it is because I still have the "X miles" displaying on my battery (which I hate to lose, but if a software update fixes the issue...) I guess my next step is to take it to a different dealership that I trust the service team a bit more and see what they say.  I'll keep you guys updated in case anybody else is having (or has in the future, and searches) this problem.

On edit: Whoops, meant to quote my last comment, sorry for the tag Murphy!

Edited by Doug0716