Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Level 1 Charger and Outdoor Use

TujuMaster

I tried searching for this topic but I couldn't find it so I apologize if there is any redundancy.  Right now, I'm charging my Energi using the included level 1 charger and my car is typically parked outside.  As many of you on the east coast are aware, we have had some fairly large amounts of snow.  As such, I've resisted plugging in my vehicle because I don't know how the charger will react.  Does anyone know if the charger is weather resistant?  Does anyone have any experience?

I have a large very thick plastic bag that I put the charger in, with the open end of the bag facing down, if I have to charge in a wet environment.  This is on a 50 foot long 10 gauge extension cord.  Yes I now it says not to use an extension cord but I believe that is because the vast majority of extension cords people have available are 16 gauge wire which is way too small for 12 amps.  10 gauge wire is good for up to 30 amps.

The connector that plugs into the car is rated for outdoor use.

You may want to checkout :

There is a thread in the 2013 ford fusion energi forum called " No harm from a little water inside the charging port, right? "

Another in batteries & charging called " charging and wet weather "

To keep out the rain I use saran wrap and 3 large flat magnets and it works great.

Edited by FusionEnergi

We've been charging our 2012 Prius Plug-In and our Ford Fusion Energi out on the driveway since April 2012.  Never a problem, rain, snow or shine.  Of course, the 120V receptacle has an in-use waterproof Lexan cover with holes for the charge cord out the bottom.  Our Level 2 Leviton 16 amp charger is mounted outside as well.  I fashioned a PVC pipe holster on a nearby porch swing set to hold the level 2 charging connector in a connection-down position when it's not used.

Thanks everyone.  I have this thing hooked up nicely.  I have a huge, high amp, extension cord running from the receptacle to the charger.  I placed the charger on a trash bag and loosely covered it with the same bag, and I ran the connector directly to the vehicle.  I've done this before on dry days but with the snow, I was worried.  But I think this will work out just fine.  If I haven't said it before, I will say it now: this car is AWESOME!!!

• 2 months later...