Ford Fusion Energi Forum

H&R Block Tax Cut - DOES NOT support the EV Tax Credit

Neil

I spend almost 2 hours yesterday entering my tax information in H&R Block's Tax Cut on-line application for my 2013 tax year taxes.  I kept waiting for the 'Interview' to ask me if I bought a qualified EV, or if I had any other tax credits, but it never did.  I got to the end and it said...'Ready to File'.  I don't think so - what about the $4007 credit for buying an EV.  I opened a chat session with an H&R Block tax representative and they informed me that the software did not support that credit.  Basically your screwed.  Their is no way to manually force it in either. I've used Tax Cut for over a decade and will never use them again.  It kind of makes you wonder what other deductions/credits it does't know about.  

I'm redoing my taxes using the on-line Turbo Tax.  I checked before I started and they say they do support the credit.  It'll be interesting to see if both software packages calculate my taxes the same (except for the EV credit of course).  

I noted in another thread that I normally use 3 methods - TaxSlayer, TurboTax, and by myself with excel.

TaxSlayer did not have the form 8936, had the 8834 and said it did not apply to me since I bought car in 2013.  Well no $hit Sherlock, get the proper form and it would work... so they were out.

TurboTax had no problem with the 8936, but would not calculate the equipment credit for charger and installation on the 8911, and I don't know why.  When filing the 8911 the 6251 also had to be completed, which I did, and according to the instructions on those forms the credit of 30% of charger costs should be claimed as a credit.  So TurboTax was out, as that 30% in my case was just short of $500.

So I used my own spreadsheet and followed all the forms and calculated it myself, then put the numbers on paper and sent them out that way.

Note that the EVSE credit is subject to AMT considerations.  The qualified EV credit is not subject to AMT. 

That's good to know.  I've been a little worried that somehow I would be disqualified from the credit for some reason.  Not to sound too political, but the current administration is gunning for people who work hard and take responsibility for ourselves.  I've been amazed at the number of tax incentives I don't qualify for since I live within my means.