Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Key personalization

dnorris78

It may not be Sync specific, but just MyFord Mobile specific.  They already collect tons of data from each vehicle... they may just display more or make it more presentable.  I wouldn't expect more controls or anything.

Upgrading the modem shouldn't impact any of the original components.  After all, you can swap an external modem on a computer and it'll work just fine (using generic drivers, etc).

In order to provide new functionality, the modem is going to have query or command the other modules in the car for things they may not be programmed to handle.   If the other modules can't currently process those queries or commands, then there is no new functionality.  Already, the 2014 and newer TCU's are incompatible with the other modules in the 2013 FFE (personalization functionality is lost).   In the 2014+ MY versions of the Sync and display software, they removed features like MPGe and HVB range.  Are they going to do the same if they were to update Sync for the 2013 FFE?

Edited by larryh

I just went through the list of messages that go over the various CAN busses in the C-Max Energi, probably very similar for the Fusion. Lot's of info is sent to the TCU, since MFM doesn't work here I don't know how much of this information is actually available using MFM.

Messages To TCU:

Ambient interior temperature

APIM signal requests

Battery charging status display

Battery charge complete

Battery charge override exit screen request

Battery charger plug status

Battery charge target range

Battery charge target state of charge

Battery charger power source data

Battery charger service required

Battery electrical performance status

Battery state of charge data

Battery warning indicator request

Charge cord connection status

Charge end time status

Charge now duration status

Charge port status

Charge port power request

Charge start time status

Charge time estimate status

Charging power type

Date and time

Door latch status

Drive distance with engine off display

Drivers door ajar status

Drivers window position

Energy coaching data

Engine service required

Fuel level display

Fuel level warning

GPS charge location data

GPS data

Hood ajar status

Ignition status

Liftgate ajar status

Odometer master value

Passenger window position

Passenger door ajar status

Powertrain service required indicator

Rear passenger door ajar status

Rear passenger window position

Regenerated energy display

Remote start status

Remote start fault

Telematics activation status

Transmission warning indicator request

Vehicle charge consumption display

Vehicle configuration data

Vehicle range display data

Vehicle speed

Messages From TCU:

Battery target distance notification display request

Charge location

Door lock/unlock request

Next usage event configuration

Remote start request

Telematics activation request

Telematics preconditioning

In order to provide new functionality, the modem is going to have query or command the other modules in the car for things they may not be programmed to handle.   If the other modules can't currently process those queries or commands, then there is no new functionality.  Already, the 2014 and newer TCU's are incompatible with the other modules in the 2013 FFE (personalization functionality is lost).   In the 2014+ MY versions of the Sync and display software, they removed features like MPGe and HVB range.  Are they going to do the same if they were to update Sync for the 2013 FFE?

I don't see any impact on the internal components of the car. It will simply connect faster. The 3G (or LTE) modem will handle the network side, but will be engineered for backwards compatability with the car side. I don't expect any upgraded functionality.

You are correct, they may intentionally downgrade the internal car capabilities, like they have done since 2013. They don't have to, but I pretty much expect it if they have the chance to remove features that make the MPGe and lifetime stats easier to calculate. I say that because that is their corporate decision, as evidenced since 2014 model year changes. It gets worse every year.