Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Remote Start Lockout

murphy

I just got a third IA key programmed to my car (by the dealer - I couldn't get the process in the Owner's Manual to work). 

In the process of testing all of the functions I made a discovery that I have not seen documented anywhere.

Only the IA key that was last used to operate the car can remote start it.

If a remote start is attempted with a different key the function is rejected and ALL keys are locked out from being able to remote start the vehicle.

I can't think of a reason for this lockout, anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE:

I got it wrong.  Remote Start can only be done twice within one hour.  After two remote starts the function is locked out for one hour.

However the lockout can be reset by manually starting the car with the Start button.

None of this is documented in the Owner's Manual under Remote Start.

Edited by murphy

I just got a third IA key programmed to my car (by the dealer - I couldn't get the process in the Owner's Manual to work). 

In the process of testing all of the functions I made a discovery that I have not seen documented anywhere.

Only the IA key that was last used to operate the car can remote start it.

If a remote start is attempted with a different key the function is rejected and ALL keys are locked out from being able to remote start the vehicle.

I can't think of a reason for this lockout, anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE:

I got it wrong.  Remote Start can only be done twice within one hour.  After two remote starts the function is locked out for one hour.

However the lockout can be reset by manually starting the car with the Start button.

None of this is documented in the Owner's Manual under Remote Start.

I have found SO MANY things that are not documented on these vehicles and NOWHERE to go to find documentation, I have even purchased the vehicles "Shop Manuals" and they are very poor to say the least. It seems that Ford is following the lead of "Microsoft" in providing POOR or NO documentation on their products. Not sure if this condition is due to LAZINESS on Ford's part or just a COST ISSUE but from horror stories I hear involving DEALER maintenance problems, their technicians have the same problem with lack of documentation...

This should be a WAKE UP CALL FOR  FORD!!!!