Ford Fusion Energi Forum

MFM Cannot Connect to Car Intermittently

dnorris78

Occasionally when I click the update button on MFM (website and mobile app - IPhone) I get a message where the app cannot connect to the car and to try later.  I have noticed that if I unlock the car doors with the key fob or get in the car and turn the key, I can immediately access MFM and perform an update successfully.   Seems like something in the car is "going to sleep".  The process of unlocking the car with the FOB or inserting the key into the ignition and turning it "wakes up" the component needed to communicate with MFM.

I experience the same thing... yesterday morning she had her Go time set and was fine, I was leaving the house 20 minutes later so set up a Go time and moved the charge cord over to mine when she left, but it was still hung on "Go times sync pending", and clicking update and deleting a different Go time did not do anything, was still sitting on 'pending' -- so I went out to the car and started it, counted to 10, shut it off, and the pre-heating immediately started.  I walked back into the house and looked at the MFM site and of course there was the notification that the Go times had been synced.

So I agree there is something that seems to go into sleep mode as this is definitely not the first time this type of thing has occurred on ours.

Occasionally when I click the update button on MFM (website and mobile app - IPhone) I get a message where the app cannot connect to the car and to try later.  I have noticed that if I unlock the car doors with the key fob or get in the car and turn the key, I can immediately access MFM and perform an update successfully.   Seems like something in the car is "going to sleep".  The process of unlocking the car with the FOB or inserting the key into the ignition and turning it "wakes up" the component needed to communicate with MFM.

Hi dnorris78, 

I've added this information to your open MyFord Mobile ticket. 

I experience the same thing... yesterday morning she had her Go time set and was fine, I was leaving the house 20 minutes later so set up a Go time and moved the charge cord over to mine when she left, but it was still hung on "Go times sync pending", and clicking update and deleting a different Go time did not do anything, was still sitting on 'pending' -- so I went out to the car and started it, counted to 10, shut it off, and the pre-heating immediately started.  I walked back into the house and looked at the MFM site and of course there was the notification that the Go times had been synced.

So I agree there is something that seems to go into sleep mode as this is definitely not the first time this type of thing has occurred on ours.

You know where to find me if you'd like to get this escalated, jeff_h. :)

Kim

I reported this to Ford MANY months ago, it probably happens at least once a week to me - EVERY time the update fails more than once, I open and close the drivers door and then update works fine. Ford told me to take the vehicle to my dealer for service and have them check the TCU (Telematic Control Unit), that unit connects through the mobile phone network to communicate with the MyFordMobile Web site. I never did take the vehicle in for servicing since I've read several horror stories about dealers creating MORE problems after this type of servicing. I have an attached garage so my vehicle is always within easy reach. It has become obvious to me that certain components on the vehicle are "going to sleep" for whatever reason and a SIMPLE "wake up" re-instates them. I've noticed some other similar components on the vehicle that are vulnerable to this problem, the FUEL FILLER DOOR RELEASE do not always respond to being opened from the center console switch when the UPDATE has failed, until the drivers door has been opened and closed for instance.

Edited by Bills_Fusion_Energi

The car turns off as much as possible to reduce the drain on the 12 volt battery. 

The car could be in a null point on the AT&T cell network.  A half wavelength is only a few inches.  If you always park in the same spot vary the spot in either direction by a few inches to see if it has any effect.

Although users believe that the AT&T network is used with the MyFordMobile Web site I've not seen official Ford documentation of this. I can say however, that I have used MY Cell Phone for the past 6 years on the AT&T network and it ALWAYS shows a strong signal at my location (4 bars), the cell phone towers are located about 250 ft from my house so I ALWAYS have a strong signal and I seldom have cell phone issues for text messages, E-mail messages, phone calls and Internet access. This may not be the case for other users though.

A few months ago I noticed the MyTouch display in the vehicle was shutting off after I turned off the vehicle but left it in the accessory mode. It indicated it was "conserving the battery" so I monitored my 12volt battery and found that sometimes it was as low as 11.8 volts where normal voltage is 12.8 volts. I never have received a "low voltage" for it in the vehicle or the Web site but I started to leave the 120volt charging cord plugged into the vehicle and when a successful UPDATE was done on the Web site I noticed that SOMETIMES the vehicle would go through a charging cycle (If the High Voltage battery was able to accept a charging cycle). This charging cycle would last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours and the low voltage battery showed it was charging at 14.4 volts. Since I've been doing this I've NEVER received the "conserving battery" message. So this condition seems to indicate the vehicle is shedding some electronics to conserve the 12 volt battery, especially if the vehicle is NOT used everyday, which is my case.

This morning on 2/27/14 I made two trips with my vehicle and when I returned home the MyFordMobile Web site only reported the first trip which ended at 7:15 AM. The MyFordMobile Web site Vehicle Locator also reported my vehicle to be away from my HOME location by about 200 FT, because of this error MyFordMobile indicated the vehicle was NOT at the Home location. I made multiple attempts to UPDATE MyFordMobile using the Update button and all attempts failed. I plugged my 120V charger into the vehicle and even though the Value Charge option on the vehicle AND the MyFordMobile Web site shows the DEFAULT profile (AWAY FROM HOME) to start charging at 1AM and end at 7AM the vehicle started charging immediately. MyFordMobile indicates that the vehicle is UNPLUGGED. Multiple attempts to UPDATE while charging also failed.

The Miles left on the Battery in the vehicle showed 29 and the Miles left on the Battery on MyFordMobile shows 31.

I currently use a Cell Phone that uses the AT&T Network and AT my HOME location it always shows an extremely strong signal (4 bars), probably because the Cell towers are located about 250 Ft from my House. I checked my cell phone after the MyFordMobile update failures and all functions, text/E-mail/phone calls/internet access operate normally as usual.

The charging cycle ended at approximately 8:45 AM but MyFordMobile still indicates the vehicle is unplugged with 31 miles on the Battery while UPDATES are still failing. After turning the vehicle’s ignition switch to ON, the vehicle indicates the Battery is 100% charged at 33 miles and the Navigation screen  shows the CORRECT HOME location (NOT the 200 FT error that MyFordMobile shows). I never received a “Charge Complete” notification from MyFordMobile and the MyFordMobile Activity Log does NOT have ANY entries for TODAY.

The MyFordMobile “My Account” – “Key Personalization” – “Key Usage Log” shows “Data Not Available” in RED letters.

At 9:10 AM  I started getting “Service or Network Error” when trying to display ANY of the MyFordMobile pages, that condition ended about 5 minutes later but Updates still fail and “Vehicle location” – “Battery Charge” – “Trip & Charge Log” are still showing errors or missing last trip and charge event.

Finally received my "charge complete" that happened at 8:41 AM this morning VIA text and E-mail at 1:30 PM this afternoon.

The Vehicle Location and Battery Miles are also tracking with what the actual vehicle indicates also but my 2nd trip this morning is still missing from MyFordMobile.

Key Personalization still shows "Data Not Available".

It seems that somebody must have awoken THE LONE ENGINEER from a long winter's nap that maintains this site...

Finally received my "charge complete" that happened at 8:41 AM this morning VIA text and E-mail at 1:30 PM this afternoon.
The Vehicle Location and Battery Miles are also tracking with what the actual vehicle indicates also but my 2nd trip this morning is still missing from MyFordMobile.

Key Personalization still shows "Data Not Available".

It seems that somebody must have awoken THE LONE ENGINEER from a long winter's nap that maintains this site...

The notes have been updated with the information from you PM, Bills_Fusion_Energi. 

I have not received any text messages from the last two nights of charging.

Hi dnorris78, 

The website has been experiencing some intermittent issues communicating with some vehicles today. If this continues, please let me know. I'll add it to your case notes. 

Kim

Although users believe that the AT&T network is used with the MyFordMobile Web site I've not seen official Ford documentation of this.

They previously announced MFM used AT&T.  This press release specifically mentioned Focus Electric, but it's pretty unlikely they'd use a different carrier for the Fusion and C-Max which were released about the same time.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19386&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31711&mapcode=

They previously announced MFM used AT&T.  This press release specifically mentioned Focus Electric, but it's pretty unlikely they'd use a different carrier for the Fusion and C-Max which were released about the same time.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19386&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31711&mapcode=

Viajero:

Great POST, thanks for the LINK, this verifies all the rumors are fact !

Bill

I took wife to dinner last night in the Energi ... it was cold and after dinner I was going to remote start the car and pre-warm the cabin for her.  Well the plan and the technology failed.  Unable to communicate with car.  After 10 attempts I gave up.

I am very disappointed in Ford.

post-660-0-30430600-1393770846_thumb.png

Edited by dnorris78

I took wife to dinner last night in the Energi ... it was cold and after dinner I was going to remote start the car and pre-warm the cabin for her.  Well the plan and the technology failed.  Unable to communicate with car.  After 10 attempts I gave up.

I am very disappointed in Ford.

Hi dnorris78, 

I can understand where you're coming from. I've attached both screenshots to your current escalation. Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide an update from engineers at this time. Once I receive a response, I'll send you a PM. 

Kim