Ford Fusion Energi Forum

To L2 or not L2 - That is the question

dnorris78

I understand 240v charging makes for a much quicker charge. I am currently on the fence on installing L2 charging at home. Clipper creek recently lowered the price of the LCS-25 to $495.00

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25-level-2/

I'd love to be able to charge up my Energi in 2 hrs but I still cannot justify the cost when I am currently charging during the night at 120v without the added expense.

I am on the fence. If I installed L2 charging there is a possibility I could take my L1 charger to work and charge during the day.

Any advice from the forum?

You will likely never recover the expense of installing a 240 V charging station (unless you can get better electric rates through a separately metered circuit as I have done).   Otherwise, the only advantages are faster charging, and it allows you to precondition the vehicle when it is cold (temperatures below about 40 F).    For me, the 240 V charger allows me to commute to work when it is below about 10 F consuming minimal gas.  I wouldn't be able to do that with the 120 V charger. 

Edited by larryh

You will likely never recover the expense of installing a 240 V charging station (unless you can get better electric rates through a separately metered circuit). The only advantage is faster charging and it allows you to precondition the vehicle when it is cold (temperatures below about 40 F).

Larryh, yes preconditioning is another reason for L2. With L1 preconditioning sucks big time. Edited by dnorris78

I'll repeat the thought that I wrote on another thread somewhere around here a few months ago, seems like a good analogy - you can get by with the 120V charger just fine, but I bet you will be as glad that you installed the 240V charger as you were after upgrading from dial-up to hi-speed internet.

I'll repeat the thought that I wrote on another thread somewhere around here a few months ago, seems like a good analogy - you can get by with the 120V charger just fine, but I bet you will be as glad that you installed the 240V charger as you were after upgrading from dial-up to hi-speed internet.

I understand that analogy since I'm a software developer and systems analyst.

For me it is all about convenience.  I work from home so I may not drive the car for several days.  On a few occasions I have run an errand or had an appointment both in the same day.  With a drained HVB, even plugging in for an hour will give you half a fill up with the 240v charger.

I just like knowing that my car always has a full charge after 2 hours.  I think the difficult decision is whether or not you want to spend the extra money for the 240v charger.  My opinion is if you can afford to buy it, don’t forget to factor in installation.  If you can install it yourself then I think the decision is much clearer.  Do it!

If you are really watching your spending then give yourself another month to see if the 120v charger will suit your needs.  By then it will be warmer and you won’t have to use Go Times to warm the interior.  But if your summers are hot like they are where I am, Go Times are a must to cool the car for my comfort!

I will say this, I am confident that should you decide to by the 240v charger you won’t regret it.

My only regret in getting an L2 charging station is that I got the less expensive 3.8 kW model and not the 7.2 kW model since I fell in love with driving on electricity and two months later bought a Focus Electric, which can utilize the more powerful unit.

GO times are wonderful.  With an ICE car, you have to wait for the engine to warm up to get heat.  With the L2 station and GO times, the car is warm when you get in.  That's worth a lot to me on a cold morning.

I just ordered the LCS-25 from Clipper Creek.  I already ordered a new 30 amp breaker and have a shopping list from Lowes for supporting hardware, service disconnect, conduit and 8-2 wire.

I will put my stock charger back in the trunk for the road trips and hopefully the hotel will allow me to plug in during our stay.

I just ordered the LCS-25 from Clipper Creek.  I already ordered a new 30 amp breaker and have a shopping list from Lowes for supporting hardware, service disconnect, conduit and 8-2 wire.

I will put my stock charger back in the trunk for the road trips and hopefully the hotel will allow me to plug in during our stay.

Hotels are starting to pay attention to us. Here is a list of Marriott hotels with EV charging available.  http://www.marriott.com/corporate-social-responsibility/electric-vehicle-hotels.mi

Unfortunately I have not traveled to any place with availability yet. I do find it interesting that two in my area have them :clapping:

I would be too worried about something happening to my charger to get the extra 20 miles/day... would not be worth it for me. One of the things I love about this car is how even when it does not have a charge in the battery, it still gets great mileage in hybrid mode.

I would guess that if there is an outlet outside that is accessible and you spoke to someone at the desk explaining you would like $0.75 of electricity, they would not give you much grief.

I ended up buying the Clipper Creek unit that included the dryer plug. This made my install simple as my laundry room shares a wall with my garage, so I just tapped into that and added a dryer recepticle in my garage. As long as I don't dry clothes during the two hours a day that I am charging, I am good. I wrestled with whether to install a 240 charger as well, but the 30% Fed tax credit and 50% New York State tax credit made it a no brainer. That and the fact that pre conditioning was impossible with my 110...

You will definitely love it!

I ended up buying the Clipper Creek unit that included the dryer plug. This made my install simple as my laundry room shares a wall with my garage, so I just tapped into that and added a dryer recepticle in my garage. As long as I don't dry clothes during the two hours a day that I am charging, I am good. I wrestled with whether to install a 240 charger as well, but the 30% Fed tax credit and 50% New York State tax credit made it a no brainer. That and the fact that pre conditioning was impossible with my 110...

You will definitely love it!

I will have to run a dedicated circuit to the charger. It's going to be a pain in the butt, but hopefully worth the work.

I'm planning in installing an L2 myself as well. The biggest pain in my case is the permit process. I only need to pull about 40 feet all external so not a big deal.

Still on the fence between the 20A and 30A Clipper Creek EVSEs. The smaller one is really nice and compact with a thinner cable to the handle, but the bigger one is more future proof (hoping to convince my better half to trade in her Cooper for an EV in the next couple of years).

Bjorn