Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Car didn't update Daylight Savings Time

Russael

Has anybody else experienced their car NOT updating their internal clocks to Daylight Savings Time on Sunday?  I didn't use my car yesterday, but when I went to leave today, noticed that my car wasn't preconditioning and was still stone cold.  I had skipped my Go Time on Sunday and briefly thought that it skipped my Monday one too, but then after I turned the car on, noticed my clock was an hour slow.

Yes, DST is enabled and I even tried updating the car with the GPS time, but that updates an hour slow as well.  So for now, it's manually forwarded an hour.

Has anybody else experienced their car NOT updating their internal clocks to Daylight Savings Time on Sunday?  I didn't use my car yesterday, but when I went to leave today, noticed that my car wasn't preconditioning and was still stone cold.  I had skipped my Go Time on Sunday and briefly thought that it skipped my Monday one too, but then after I turned the car on, noticed my clock was an hour slow.

Yes, DST is enabled and I even tried updating the car with the GPS time, but that updates an hour slow as well.  So for now, it's manually forwarded an hour.

Hey Russael,

murphy is right; the MyFord Touch system will not automatically update the clock to account for daylight savings time if you have V3.6.2 installed. This will need to be manually adjusted. It sounds like you've already done that though. :) 

Kim

Hey Russael,

murphy is right; the MyFord Touch system will not automatically update the clock to account for daylight savings time if you have V3.6.2 installed. This will need to be manually adjusted. It sounds like you've already done that though. :)

Kim

Every computerized device I've purchased in the last 5+ years automatically updates the time when DST starts and ends.  As "connected" as this car is, why doesn't it do this automatically?  I'm quite surprised -- and disappointed -- by this.

Mike

Every computerized device I've purchased in the last 5+ years automatically updates the time when DST starts and ends.  As "connected" as this car is, why doesn't it do this automatically?  I'm quite surprised -- and disappointed -- by this.

Mike

I'm unable to speculate on why this specific option isn't available. I can only confirm that this was an intentional design decision for V3.6.2. This is the best place for our product development team to see owner's suggestions: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ I encourage you to take check it out and submit your suggestion. 

Kim

One possible explanation could be with utility companies. Despite the time change, in San Diego, SDG&E is not changing our value times. Instead of midnight to 5 am, until the 2nd week of April out value time is 1 am to 6 am. So, leaving the car as is means I still charge during the lowest rates and I don't have to change the charge times. I'll set my clock when sdg&e changes their times.

• 11 months later...

I'm unable to speculate on why this specific option isn't available. I can only confirm that this was an intentional design decision for V3.6.2. This is the best place for our product development team to see owner's suggestions: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ I encourage you to take check it out and submit your suggestion. 

Kim

Intentional design decision? Why on earth would that decision be made?!?!? 

List of things that update DST on their own:

1. My three computers

2. My tablet

3. My phone

4. My alarm clock

5. My kitchen appliances

6. My TVs and other entertainment devices

7. My thermostat

List of things that don't update DST on their own:

1. My Ford cars, each of which cost more than the entire above list combined.

This is inexcusable. I've bought not one, but TWO new Fords in the last four months. Had I known just how bad the design of the electronics was, I'd have gotten a Subaru instead. VERY frustrating!

1. My three computers

2. My tablet

3. My phone

4. My alarm clock

5. My kitchen appliances

7. My thermostat

This is inexcusable. I've bought not one, but TWO new Fords in the last four months. Had I known just how bad the design of the electronics was, I'd have gotten a Subaru instead. VERY frustrating!

Can you provide a list of cars that do update DST on their own? It's not like most cars on the road do this and Ford is the only automaker that doesn't offer this feature.

I've also never seen thermostats, kitchen appliances or TVs that update the clock automatically. You must have pretty new technology in those areas of your house.

1. My three computers

2. My tablet

3. My phone

4. My alarm clock

5. My kitchen appliances

7. My thermostat

Its probably because some places do NOT do DST, i.e. Arizona. So its not an issue of "can it" (since at once time it was enabled) but a decision was made to NOT do it, figuring on a pro/con list.

When people through out "This is inexcusable" I sort of chuckle, I mean really? That's pretty strong language/feelings about something that takes 5-10 seconds to remedy, doesn't inhibit the use of the vehicle, and only occurs twice per year.

If it makes you feel better, think of the 20 seconds you lose each year by having to manually go and adjust the clock, and then subtract that by the lack of trips to the gas station. Going to the gas station is a 5-10 minute affair? I'm down from weekly fill ups to every 6 weeks, so that's ~9 trips compared to 52 trips to the gas station. 43 less trips x 5 minutes per trip is 215 minutes!

215 minutes is WAY more then 20 seconds... ;-)

While so places don't do DST that's no excuse, really.  It has GPS and knows what state you're in.  Heck it could even read the time from it's data 2G radio.  I could understand if they didn't do it internationally because that makes it even more complicated, but I don't get why you would remove a feature you already had.  If you're worried about it becoming obsolete then just put an option to turn DST Updates on/off, then the majority of users can take advantage of it and those with special circumstances (such as time value charging not changing) can simply turn it off.

Is it a little annoying two times a year?  Yes.  Is it really that big of a deal that I would consider another car over this one because of it? No.

My car didn't precondition this morning.  This is my only precondition event and it was set up many months ago during standard time.  I set the clock in the car by doing a GPS sync and then a + on the hour digit after DST was in effect.  I had to leave so I couldn't let it sit to see if it would happen an hour late.

I changed the time in the car so that it matches my phone (the car shows the correct DST time). Preconditioning worked Sunday, Monday & yesterday. You should confirm that the car time matches the time shown on your phone. Make sure the time zone is also correct.

While so places don't do DST that's no excuse, really.  It has GPS and knows what state you're in.  Heck it could even read the time from it's data 2G radio.  I could understand if they didn't do it internationally because that makes it even more complicated, but I don't get why you would remove a feature you already had.  If you're worried about it becoming obsolete then just put an option to turn DST Updates on/off, then the majority of users can take advantage of it and those with special circumstances (such as time value charging not changing) can simply turn it off.

Is it a little annoying two times a year?  Yes.  Is it really that big of a deal that I would consider another car over this one because of it? No.

While I totally agree with everything your saying, working in products development you quickly learn that "you can't please 100% of people 100% of the time" .

Last year or so a new owner here on the forum said something to the effect of "This is ridiculous that this car does not have power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, what kind of garbage is this, Ford must be run by a bunch of lobotomized monkey's..." Or something like that. Well I for one don't want this features as it adds weight, needless complexity, and cost. Seriously how often do you adjust your steering column that you need it to be powered?

Do I understand the logic of not having this automatically update DST time? Nope, not at all. Am I get going worry myself about it since its so easy to rectify? For about 2-3 seconds, which is the time it takes to correct the clock, then forget about it. Until there is a huge discussion about it on the forum... ;-) 

I have never had a vehicle that knew about DST so I have no reason to worry about it.  Heck, I remember the day when car clocks were inherently inaccurate.

The only thing useful is when they recognize that you have crossed the border into a state that doesn't do DST, and adjust the clock. I think the Energi may do that.

• 4 weeks later...

Its probably because some places do NOT do DST, i.e. Arizona. So its not an issue of "can it" (since at once time it was enabled) but a decision was made to NOT do it, figuring on a pro/con list.

When people through out "This is inexcusable" I sort of chuckle, I mean really? That's pretty strong language/feelings about something that takes 5-10 seconds to remedy, doesn't inhibit the use of the vehicle, and only occurs twice per year.

AZ and IN are a weak excuse for not doing it anywhere. Any device I've seen that does it automatically also has the option of turning it off, just in case you happen to live in AZ.

I say it's inexcusable because as an engineer I design for the user and this is just one item in a laundry list of shoddy design decisions in the MFT system. MFT's problems also stick out like a sore thumb compared to the amazingly well-engineered vehicle they're installed in! So many things on the FFE are done so well, but MFT has a lot of issues.

I also say it's inexcusable because they probably could have googled and found some code to do it that's already written. It can't have been that difficult to get right. 

It really doesn't have anything to do with the 15 seconds it takes to do it in the future - It's more about the fact that I sat in the car for 15 minutes trying to find a menu item I was sure was there somewhere before googling, finding out the pathetic truth, and muttering "YGBFSM". Especially since the lack of DST awareness means that you have to leave GPS time sync off for the majority of the year.

Rant off. ;)