Ford Fusion Energi Forum

high pitched sound from electric motor?

mczajka

If it's a sound that lasts about 2 - 3 seconds, it's most likely the active grill shutters either opening or closing.  I sometimes hear that when turning the car on and pulling out of the garage.

As far as a very high pitched sound... I'm usually REALLY sensitive to sounds like that (I can hear CFLs sometimes... old tube TVs that are on but not displaying anything... ultrasonic bug busters... those are the worst) but I haven't detected anything like that from the car.

When I pull the car into the garage, power off, and get out. There is a sound from the engine compartment, like the electric motor is winding down, then I hear a high pitched sound at the end. Is this anything to worry about? I'll try to record and post sometime.

Yes I heard this once (if it's the same sound) about 2 weeks ago, sounded really strange like some crazy spaceship blip at the end - but each of my past/present hybrids has made strange sounds now and then as the systems go through their actions (the Prius used to make a lot of strange noises), so unless some warning light goes off I don't get too excited about it.

Edited by jeff_h

When I pull the car into the garage, power off, and get out. There is a sound from the engine compartment, like the electric motor is winding down, then I hear a high pitched sound at the end. Is this anything to worry about? I'll try to record and post sometime.

mczajka,

Without being able to hear the noise and take a look, it is really difficult to know whether this is cause for concern. I recommend stopping by your dealer to have them take a listen. If they're unable to get to the bottom of this, let me know and I'll lend a hand. :)

Ashley

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whats really crazy is I had 15 miles on my car after i purchased (last week) and I was standing outside the car while the car was running, and I had a weird almost TRON noise whining coming (high piched alternating freq) from the car... the only thing i can compare it to is when the first time i saw a Fiskar Karma electric sitting at a stop light.. very strange un-explainable sound.. 

almost thought something was wrong..

I have not heard it since and I now have 250 miles on the car..