Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Good price? How long to wait

paladin732

Hi!

I am looking at ordering a Fusion Energi from the factory (there are not many in the area with the Ceramic interior yet)

I am planning on having:

Driver Asisst Package

Active Park Assist

Adaptive Cruise Control

Heated Steering Wheel

Nav

Butt Chillers

All-Weather Mats

Most likely one of the Grey exterior colors

Ceramic colored interior (grey)

MSRP: $41,840

Sale price: $38,650 (without incentives)

Subtractions:

$500 Ford Cash

$750 Private Cash (I requested the catalog last week, how long will it take before my offer should show in the system?)

$1,500 CA rebate

$4,007 Federal rebate

Total: $31,893+$80 doc fee+taxes+registration if I did my math correct?

A few questions:

1. Is that price good? It seems to be really good to me

2. How likely is it based on the rate that these rebates are being claimed that it will still be available at car pickup time?

3. How long will it take from ordering to delivery?

4. How long past that for HOV stickers? Based on rate of consumption of the 40K quota, is it likely they will still be available? My understanding is CA changed the process and its faster now with the dealer requesting them

To your other questions, if you decide to do the deal your price should be locked in regardless of incentives. Also, you are guaranteed at least what is in effect at the time you place the order as far as incentives and there may be something better in a couple if months and if so you just claim that instead. 

My dealer said it will take 6-8 weeks to get the car. They put it in as part of a regular allocation that they had just received so this may be a little quicker than for some orders.  

I was also concerned about the HOV sticker availability which is why I got my order in now as opposed to waiting for the summer and the inevitable sales. The dealer can order the stickers once they have the vehicle, saving about 4-6 weeks (with our CMAX Energi, I had to wait to get the license plates before I could submit the sticker form, this took almost 6 weeks in total for us from the time we purchased to the time I had the stickers in hand). I think there will be stickers still avail for at least 3 more months at the current rate of use if you compare the stickers that have been burned since the last status update at the end of December.  It may be possible that the sudden uptick in sticker use may be due to dealers requesting them for vehicles in inventory as this provision only became effective late last year.  If this is the case, then there should be a lower rate of burn at the next HOV sticker use update.  But for me, I did not want to risk it so I have my order in the system now!

Also, just FYI I have requested and received Fusion brochures and they arrived without any private cash coupon so it is not a sure thing that this will happen but it may for you.  I don't know how Ford decides who gets them and who doesn't, maybe because I am already in the system as an Energi owner this knocks me out.  I am going to try one more time though, just in case ;-).  Anyway, there is a decent chance that the incentives will be better in a couple of months anyway.

So I would say, if you want HOV stickers I would not recommend waiting too much longer to place your order.

Edited by jza80

Thanks for that information.

Yea, I think I need to place the order really soon anyway, it looks like the 2014s stop accepting orders sometime soon (Forums say this Friday, a dealer said next Friday, I am asking around to get a concrete date, but it is this month). With the 2015s not rolling off the assembly lines till mid 2014, and most likely having minor updates, it seems like waiting for a 2015 is a bad idea

I was not aware of the cutoff being so soon!  So I am glad I got in when I did...  

Usually the SOP for a model year is sometime in June of the previous calendar year, with deliveries about 2-3 months later so I think by then there will most likely not be any HOV stickers left.  Personally, I wanted to wait for the details on what the 2015's would offer - like maybe HID headlights - but the stickers are worth more to me than the possibility of HID's.

Just FYI, that there are 2013s out there still, Sound Ford in near Seatac has 3.

http://www.soundford.com/search/new/tp/?q=&md=1374-fusion_energi&yr=2013

Price does not include any CA or federal discounts, so thats another $6757 off their listed price, so after all your discounts, $25,543 for the cheapest one. BUT you dont get ceramic interior, or the other options you listed, so it depends how important those things are.

The federal tax credit for plug in vehicles expired December 31, 2013, and is not currently available.  Congress did not renew the credit, along with numerous other tax breaks, including the provision that allowed for the 30% credit relating to alternative vehicle refueling property.  The sales tax credit is also no longer applicable, but as you live in California, I doubt it would come into play for your situation.   

Unless Congress changes their mind and renews this credit this year (which I personally doubt), I would remove the $4,001 credit from your calculation.  I thought I had heard Ford lowered the MSRP on the 2014 FFE by about $4k, which was to help alleviate this issue? 

The federal tax credit for plug in vehicles expired December 31, 2013, and is not currently available.  Congress did not renew the credit, along with numerous other tax breaks, including the provision that allowed for the 30% credit relating to alternative vehicle refueling property.  The sales tax credit is also no longer applicable, but as you live in California, I doubt it would come into play for your situation.   

Unless Congress changes their mind and renews this credit this year (which I personally doubt), I would remove the $4,001 credit from your calculation.  I thought I had heard Ford lowered the MSRP on the 2014 FFE by about $4k, which was to help alleviate this issue? 

The tax credit of $4007 for the Ford Fusion Energi has not expired.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxphevb.shtml

I believe you guys are correct.  The portion of section 30D that expired on 12/31/13 referred to 2 and 3 vehicle plug ins.  For qualified 4 wheel vehicles, the law remains in effect until the manufacturer limitation.  However, there is pending legislation that would completely repeal 30D - but not until after 2014.  I say buy!  You will love the car! 

To tack onto what others have noted, the $750 private cash coupon is not a given and I'm not sure what elements make the system send that offer to you (I got a paper brochure in the mail and the back cover said 'an offer you did not expect' and below it was blank, yeah I didn't expect *that*)... I ended up getting one later by also requesting one with my wife's name and email address and requesting information on a Taurus (based on recommendation in the hybrid forum) and that did the trick and I got the coupon via email and it was in VINCENT (their incentive tracking/mgmt system) and the $750 was applied.

Just FYI, that there are 2013s out there still, Sound Ford in near Seatac has 3.

http://www.soundford.com/search/new/tp/?q=&md=1374-fusion_energi&yr=2013

Price does not include any CA or federal discounts, so thats another $6757 off their listed price, so after all your discounts, $25,543 for the cheapest one. BUT you dont get ceramic interior, or the other options you listed, so it depends how important those things are.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think I am still gonna go for the 2014, I really want a couple of the features that are 2014 only and I want the ceramic interiot.

On a side note: The federal and state rebates are still in full force, I have already verified that :)

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think I am still gonna go for the 2014, I really want a couple of the features that are 2014 only and I want the ceramic interiot.

On a side note: The federal and state rebates are still in full force, I have already verified that :)

Yeah I really wish I coudl have gotten the ceramic interior also, and a few other options, but I couldnt pass up on the 14k off MSRP!

Yeah I really wish I coudl have gotten the ceramic interior also, and a few other options, but I couldnt pass up on the 14k off MSRP!

I'm already about 4K off MSRP (my latest quote is for $700 under invoice which is roughly $38,400). Add in the fact that MSRP on the 2013s are roughly 4K higher to begin with, and I'm at 8k of that 14k. Add in private cash and current offer and its $9,200 off MSRP. Then add in the fact that these all have moonroofs (as do almost every loaded Titanium Energi I can find), and I don't want to pay $1K for a tiny roof window. The extra 4K at that point is worth it to me to get exactly what I want.

Thanks for suggesting it though :) It is somewhat intriguing.

If you're going to spend this kind of money, make sure you're happy, right!

I purchased a FFE Titanium without the moon roof. It's wasn't worth the extra cost to me, either.  The downside is you don't get the garage door opener buttons which I feel is kind of cheesy on the part of Ford.  $33k to $42k on a car and you can't get a garage door transmitter??

Steve

Meh, the garage door transmitter is kind of flakey on my Focus anyway, so its not a huge deal to me. (its also possible its the result of the individual transceiver I have being a little stronger and the builder of my house putting in a craptastic one)

Just a quick question to those with the adaptive cruise control: Does it work in stop and go traffic? (so during unpleasant morning commutes?)

Just a quick question to those with the adaptive cruise control: Does it work in stop and go traffic? (so during unpleasant morning commutes?)

You have to be above 20 mph to engage the cruise control so it's not going to work if your speed drops below 20 mph.  Above 20 mph it works fine.  I've seen a couple reports on the forum of people setting the cruise speed to a high value so the car just follows the car in front at the selected spacing.

That sucks :( Still better then regular cruise control though!

Also, for the price I had up there: I have gotten it down to "$700 under invoice" (Which I'm being told is roughly $38,400). Do you think there is any room to do any better?

EDIT: Now $800 under invoice

Edited by paladin732

I think that is a good price.  My deal is about $350 under invoice with my dealer which is located about 1 mile from my home.  Before I locked this in I inquired with several dealers and the best deal I could find was about $450 better, or about $800 under invoice.  But this dealer was about 30 miles away and I did not get a warm and fuzzy about the way this dealer operated.  Also, I wanted to give some business to my local dealer so that they stay around for awhile and for the convenience.

So, I would say, if you are happy with your dealer and trust them to follow through then the price they are quoting you is highly competitive.