Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Yet Another Clipper Creek Installation

FormerFF

I decided to go with the Clipper Creek LCS-25.  Here it is on the wall:

EVSE.jpg

I was kicking around the idea of going with the HCS, which would have entailed getting a 50 amp circuit rather than the 30 amp one that the LCS needs.  I didn't, for a couple of reasons.  First, the Fusion Energi can't take advantage of the additional wattage.  Since I just bought this car, and it was fairly expensive, i will be keeping it a minimum of eight years, and my crystal ball can't really tell me what I'll be driving after that.  Even if I get an EV only vehicle at that time, my electric supplier has a generous off peak window of eight hours, and I can't see where I would need to do a fast charge in the middle of the day.  Considering that the LCS have been shown to add 16 miles worth of range per hour to a Nissan Leaf, the LCS should meet my needs pretty much as long as I live here.

It is to do with heating. It is recommended to completely unwind so that the cable doesn't overheat. Extension cords are the same way...the more surface area the cord has, the cooler the cord will be. I have had extension cords get so hot as to have their jacket start to melt when driving something like a space heater with it not unwound.

• 2 months later...
LCS-25 installed today. Most of the time involved running about 40 feet of 10/2 Romex across garage and then above ceiling in finished basement (thankfully a lay-in ceiling).  Looking forward to quicker charging times.  Plugged in tonight with empty HVB and projected charge time by MFM is 2 hours 40 mins.

LCS-25

Edited by EnergiCCAATS