Ford Fusion Energi Forum

USB acceptable format?

Apogee1

I really don't get this.  I have an 8 gig stick that was originally formatted using windows XP pro, and I have a 16 and 32 gig that were formatted under Windows 7 Ultimate, and the only stick the car recognizes is the 8 gig stick.  the other 2 it says unrecognized format, even though each stick has the same exact files on them.   Since XP isn't supported anymore by Microsoft, what format do I have to use so that the Fusion Energi recognizes it?  

Any one got some gifted insights into this one?

I really don't get this.  I have an 8 gig stick that was originally formatted using windows XP pro, and I have a 16 and 32 gig that were formatted under Windows 7 Ultimate, and the only stick the car recognizes is the 8 gig stick.  the other 2 it says unrecognized format, even though each stick has the same exact files on them.   Since XP isn't supported anymore by Microsoft, what format do I have to use so that the Fusion Energi recognizes it?  

Any one got some gifted insights into this one?

Hi Apogee1, 

blars and murphy are correct. The MyFord Touch system will only accept a USB formatted to FAT32. If you're using these for audio, the supported file formats include MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC. Supported image file formats include: .jpg, .gif, .png, and .bmp. 

Kim

Hi Apogee1, 

blars and murphy are correct. The MyFord Touch system will only accept a USB formatted to FAT32. If you're using these for audio, the supported file formats include MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC. Supported image file formats include: .jpg, .gif, .png, and .bmp. 

Kim

Would have loved to have seen FLAC on that list... can't have everything I suppose. ;) I had to convert (make a copy) my collection to AAC to get it to play.

Acronym translation -

NTFS = New Technology File System which came out in the early 90's as I recall.

FAT = File allocation table, which began with first versions of DOS (the dawn of the PC age).  8 bit structure I think

FAT32 - same as FAT except built to accept 32 bit files, which allow for longer file names.  

UGH - I'm showing my age.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have tried all formats, and I still only get Device not supported.  Yet every computer I plug it into works just fine.  I've tried playing the music from the device on the computer just to make sure it works, but as soon as I plug it into the car.  Not Supported.  Very frustrating not to be able to use a key feature of the entertainment system. 

Formatted using FAT32, and all music file formats tried, and my only result is Device not supported.

Edited by Apogee1

Well I have tried all formats, and I still only get Device not supported.  Yet every computer I plug it into works just fine.  I've tried playing the music from the device on the computer just to make sure it works, but as soon as I plug it into the car.  Not Supported.  Very frustrating not to be able to use a key feature of the entertainment system. 

Formatted using FAT32, and all music file formats tried, and my only result is Device not supported.

I have a vague recollection of solving this problem about a year ago.  It involved the worng format in the boot record of the USB drive.  I think the solution involved the use of the DISKPART utility that is part of Windows and runs in a Command Prompt window.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know why I have to reformat my USB stick each and every time I want to add songs to it?  While I'm able to add files on the stick, the car doesn't index them, and therefore will not play them.  The only way for the car to see it, is to reformat the stick each and every time I want to add.  Really stupid logic design if you ask me. 

I am pretty sure that I have added files to the stick and had it reindex.

Have you tried to go into the system and look for a song drilling through the menu? Will that prompt a reindex?

My suggestion is to go the Ford Sync forum and look for the solution as there are a lot more people with experience of the sync system.  http://fordsyncforum.com/

You will have to create an id on that forum to post. I did this early on to diagnose some performance issues and they were pretty responsive.