Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Had to get gas. . .

Gigi

It's not a rebate, it's a tax credit.  To get the $7500 you must have a federal tax bill of $7500 or more.

I don't think thats how a tax credit works.

When you itemize your deductions, the $7500 will be one of them causing your adjusted gross income to drop by $7500. So if you paid taxes regularly on $100,000 yearly salary, and your only itemized deduction was the Car, you would only have to pay taxes on the adjusted salary of $92,500 ($100,000 - $7500), thus getting back the difference between the taxes you already paid on $100,000, and the taxes that would be owed on the adjusted salary of $92,500, which would probably be about $2500. 

I'm not an accountant, but please someone correct me if im wrong.

When you itemize your deductions, the $7500 will be one of them causing your adjusted gross income to drop by $7500. So if you paid taxes regularly on $100,000 yearly salary, and your only itemized deduction was the Car, you would only have to pay taxes on the adjusted salary of $92,500 ($100,000 - $7500), thus getting back the difference between the taxes you already paid on $100,000, and the taxes that would be owed on the adjusted salary of $92,500, which would probably be about $2500. 

You're thinking the credit is along the lines as the way donations work, and that's not it.  It doesn't reduce your annual income, it reduces you federal tax liability.

For example, if you earn 50,000 in a year and the feds withhold 5,000, but once you do your 1040 and see what your actual liability is (say 4200), then you'd receive a refund of 800 dollars.  If you apply the car credit, it will reduce your liability down to 193 dollars and increase your refund to 4807.

Same scenario but with the 7500 EV credit:  You earn 50,000 in a year and the feds withhold 5,000.  You do your 1040 and your tax liability is 4200.  The credit will ONLY do away with the 4200 federal tax bill, letting you receive a refund of 5,000.  The other 3,300 is lost.

The only way to use that full credit in a scenario such as the one above is to lease the car.  The car/finance company can claim the full 7500 and they will usually apply that discount to your lease agreement.  Then you just buy the car at the end of your lease.

Deductions are different than credits -

Deductions reduce the amount of taxable income (I had a $2,000 deduction on either the Prius or the 2010 FFH, don't remember which) that occurs *before* the tax liability is calculated using tax tables or formula for those who exceed the tax tables.

Credits reduce the amount of tax liability *after* that liability has been calculated, and is much better than a deduction.  In the case of the PHEV credit, this is noted after the liability has been calculated, as with other credits like child care credit.

• 1 month later...

I can't compete with many of the other FFE owners, but here are my stats so far:

Age of 2013 FFE at last fill-up = 1 year, 2 months

Miles on odometer = 7152

Lifetime Summary = 112.4mpg (has gone as high as 139mpg)

Lifetime brake score = 90

Miles out of last tank = 1118

Total spent on gas = $306.

I love the car. It rides as if it were a larger/heavier car. 

Edited by howardbc

• 1 month later...

Whelp, today was the day I finally had to get gas for the Fusion.  This tank of gas lasted 14 months and 4 days (and I still wasn't quite on empty).  I poured in 9.5 gallons and then proceeded to take a 90 mile round trip to Great Lakes Outlet Mall.  For the trip there, sans 2 EV Now miles, I used EV later on the interstate and managed to get 47MPGe for the trip there... on the way back, I used EV Later up to the point where I figured I'd drain the battery within a few miles from home, and managed to get 71MPGe (had 18 miles left on the battery when I switched to auto mode), and ran out of electrons about 4 miles from home on surface streets.

I'm exceedingly pleased with the gas performance.  I used A/C on and off as the weather kept raining out of the ONE CLOUD I happened to be under...  But for the most part, it was windows down.

Totally love adaptive cruise, but I'm not used to it yet.  I found myself still picking up my foot to hit the brakes when the car slowed on its own.  Of course, it doesn't help for the maniacs who fly up on the entrance ramp and cut you off. 

So tank number 1 = 5014 miles, which amounts to 527MPG (including dealership runaround).  My personal MPG was 617.  Can't complain one bit...

... except:  don't buy Dupli-Color touchup paints for Oxford White.  It doesn't match.  Looks more like a cream or pearl color.  Something was nice enough to put a 4" long gouge in the plastic painted trim under the passenger side rear door.  Tried their touchup pen... hah.  So I fixed it the hard way - sanded it down to plastic, used plastic filler, primed, painted, clearcoat... and it's pretty easy to see where that patch I fixed is. :(

• 6 months later...

Well, I almost made it to 23 months without adding gasoline.

The Energi said I had 20 ICE miles left before we left to go on a trip. We filled up the Energi for the very first time on Feb 22nd 2015. We have 17,900 miles on the Energi and 17,500 of those miles are EV miles. Added 12.15 gallons

I was in the top of the gas sipper, region 8, not sure about now.

The gas sipper was messed up for awhile and just got fixed a few months ago. Even after the fix the website only showed me having over 5k. When they fixed the gas sipper is when it started counting miles.

Fuel Freshness Mode (Energi

Vehicles Only)

This feature helps keeps the fuel system

functional and the fuel fresh.

If you operate your vehicle mainly in plug-in

power mode using electricity from plugging

in without refueling, the gasoline in your

tank eventually becomes old. Old fuel can

damage the engine and fuel system.

To prevent the fuel from becoming old,

your vehicle will automatically enter fuel

freshness mode. In fuel freshness mode

operates, your vehicle will operate in hybrid

mode causing the gasoline engine to run

in order to consume the fuel in the fuel

tank.

Note:

If new fuel is not added during an 18

month period, fuel freshness mode will

consume fuel until about 1 gallon (3.8 liters)

is left in the tank.

During fuel freshness mode:

• The information display screen will

indicate that fuel freshness mode is

active.

• The vehicle will only run in hybrid mode.

EV Now will not be available.

• Most of the plug-in power will be

stored until fuel freshness mode is

completed.

Note:

EV Now can resume if less than 1

gallon (3.8 liters) of fuel is left in the tank.

Note:

In most cases, when the fuel level is

below 1/4 tank, refueling the vehicle will end

fuel freshness mode and EV Now will now

become available. Refueling after

consuming a full tank in fuel freshness mode

will end the mode.

Note:

It is recommended to use a fuel

stabilizer if you consume less than a full

tank of fuel during an 18 month period.

Edited by FusionEnergi

• 1 month later...

FatFusionfirstsixmonthmileage_zpsa91e7dc

Here's my Fuelly details.

FatFusionfirstsixmonthfuelly_zps941fac4d

Above was my #'s from March 2014.  Below is the cumulative #'s pulled from Fuelly today.  All 48 fillups!  A nice spike lately from charging at home and a lot of days at work.  Plus, I moved closer to work.  

OT: I disconnected my Clipper Creek and slapped it on the side of my new house.  One of my best friends is an electrician and lives about 5 houses away.  :dance:

He put in a big brand new panel with new breakers, the cable to the 240V box, and several added outlets in the garage for $500.  Not sure if I could even buy all those materials for that.   :woohoo:

Fuelly%20April%202015_zpstu2apty9.jpg

Fuelly%20April%202015%20Basic%20Stats_zp

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here we go: My MPG... 98.6 MPGe with 28,000 miles (see the fuelly link in sig). Tank 7 & 8 are missing 800 miles as fuelly won't let you get more than 4k on one tank.

I'm ranked in region 4. I'm looking at a rough 3600 on my current tank from March. It's all because I live 19 miles from work and I can charge there.

Edited by shaggy314