Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Ordered an FFE Titanium today

comike

Do not remember the order number being the same as the VIN, but they are correct that until the VIN is assigned there is no car to track. So the first part is just semantics and the statement is mostly true. The build the car process is interesting.... I put my order together January 21 and it was not until mid July that the car actually showed up at the dealership -- but by that time I had long moved on as I was able to buy a similar car with out the 5 month wait. But I ordered before there were any Energi's available, and they were having production issues. Things are much better now I would think.

Do not remember the order number being the same as the VIN, but they are correct that until the VIN is assigned there is no car to track. So the first part is just semantics and the statement is mostly true. The build the car process is interesting.... I put my order together January 21 and it was not until mid July that the car actually showed up at the dealership -- but by that time I had long moved on as I was able to buy a similar car with out the 5 month wait. But I ordered before there were any Energi's available, and they were having production issues. Things are much better now I would think.

I also ordered on January 21, 2013.  The car was built April 1, 2013 and I drove it home on April 15.

If the order has been placed correctly then with the dealer code and order number it should show as 'unscheduled - clean' and the dealer can confirm that.  Below is a post in another forum that is several years old but probably still very close to the way the orders still work.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f61/ford-dealer-discusses-orders-allocation-19747/

I also ordered on January 21, 2013.  The car was built April 1, 2013 and I drove it home on April 15.

I lost interest in tracking once I made the purchase, but as of the time that I purchased the car (March 8) I had no VIN and no idea when the car would be complete. I bugged the dealer about once a week after 5 weeks.

If the order has been placed correctly then with the dealer code and order number it should show as 'unscheduled - clean' and the dealer can confirm that.  Below is a post in another forum that is several years old but probably still very close to the way the orders still work.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f61/ford-dealer-discusses-orders-allocation-19747/

I think I remember asking this question of is the car 'unscheduled - clean' (from this forum) and the dealer but I honestly do not remember the answer. I do remember that there were a lot of unique issues with the production of this car as it was brand new and they were having production issues. My car had an additional ~20 miles of testing done to insure it was put together correctly.

But I knew it was not normal starting the process, the dealer did warn me and I had an overall good experience. But I jumped at the chance to end my wait for the car when they got in a model that was very similar to the one that I ordered. They even worked with me to ensure that my $750 coupon still worked on this deal. 

I think I remember asking this question of is the car 'unscheduled - clean' (from this forum) and the dealer but I honestly do not remember the answer. I do remember that there were a lot of unique issues with the production of this car as it was brand new and they were having production issues. My car had an additional ~20 miles of testing done to insure it was put together correctly.

But I knew it was not normal starting the process, the dealer did warn me and I had an overall good experience. But I jumped at the chance to end my wait for the car when they got in a model that was very similar to the one that I ordered. They even worked with me to ensure that my $750 coupon still worked on this deal. 

The 'unscheduled - clean' status means that the build has not been scheduled but there is nothing standing in the way of it being done.  I ordered a Hybrid Titanium in Nov 2012 and at that time they were supposed to start being built in Jan 2013, and at that time my status was 'unscheduled - material hold' which I don't know if was due to none of that trim being ready for build yet, or a given component for that trim was on a commodity constraint list and so would be in material hold until resolved... in any case, it was unscheduled until the VIN was issued and then it was 'scheduled-to-week' (which turned out to be March instead of January, then was slipped 4 weeks into April... but by that time I had given up on that order) and then was 'scheduled-to-day and finally did get built and shipped.  So if an order is unscheduled-clean then it's just a waiting game until they pull orders on Thursday nights for scheduling and one of these Fridays the above order would be scheduled to a week and a VIN issued.

Added - and as to two plants now building the Fusion, yes some are built at Flat Rock, I think just the S and SE models (there is a thread on BOF that notes which trims and option groups), which yes should increase capacity for those trims and thus Hermosillo could build more of all trims as needed.

Edited by jeff_h

My dealer (Liccardi Ford in Watchung, NJ) just told me that the order number and the VIN are the same thing, and that until the VIN is created they can't give me any info to track my build.

Based on everything I have read, this is incorrect.  Am I right?  If so, do I have any recourse?

njmike,

You should have received some paperwork from your dealer that outlined your order, the options you selected, etc. On that paperwork there should be a four digit order number. I can use that number to track your vehicle. Theoretically, there won't be a whole lot to track at first, since you'll be waiting for a build date to be assigned, but it is still something. :) I'll then be able to get you your VIN when it pops in.

Do not remember the order number being the same as the VIN, but they are correct that until the VIN is assigned there is no car to track. So the first part is just semantics and the statement is mostly true. ...

meyersnole,

It is true that there is physically no car to track until there's a VIN, but I'm still able to see what stage in the pre-build process the cars are in (order received, etc.). It certainly isn't the most exciting thing to get updates on, but I still have the ability to track the car before the VIN is assigned.

Ashley

You should have been given a document to sign when you placed the order that has both of those numbers on it.  The document lists the features that you are ordering.  The document has a name but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

When I placed my orders there was a retail order sheet that the dealer filled out and had me sign so there was a written record of what was being ordered.  They keep this on file and give me a copy, so that when the car comes in a customer couldn't say that they really wanted option X or package Y and raise a stink when it's not on the car -- and likewise, it's a record to show what the dealer *should* have ordered in the case that their ordering person messed things up and ordered things wrong and then tries to BS it past the customer.

Once that was done and they were ready to hit 'send' on the retail order, they printed out a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC) as shown below - this one is from the Hybrid Titanium that I originally ordered back in Nov 2012.  Then after that, once it had the VIN assigned I went to the online URL to view window stickers to ensure that it matched the VOC.

Fusion_Hybrid_Titanium_Order_zpsf260659c

Well, until my dealer is willing to share with me the dealer code and order number, this is all academic. I'm going to go in today and see if I can get the info in person.

OK, the dealer gave me what he says is the dealer code and the order number. The dealer code he gave me is 13046.  Is 13046 a valid dealer code? I read something that says it should be a set of 2 numbers, a letter, and 3 more numbers.

OK, the dealer gave me what he says is the dealer code and the order number. The dealer code he gave me is 13046.  Is 13046 a valid dealer code? I read something that says it should be a set of 2 numbers, a letter, and 3 more numbers.

If you look at the sample VOC above, my dealer was F27494 and the order number was K301 - your dealer code is probably F13046 but there should be a 4-character (every one I've seen has been 4-char) order code that goes along with it.