Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charge Cord Removal While Charging

Bills_Fusion_Energi

Several months ago I was concerned about the proper method of stopping the charge cycle in the MIDDLE of a charge operation.

I was concerned about just pulling the PLUG from the CHARGE PORT while maximum current was flowing, possibly causing arcing at the connector pins and over time when this was done several times leaving the pins severely damaged.

Since the owner’s manual DID NOT address this I called the Ford Customer Relationship Center (800 392-3673) and posed the above question including the “arcing” concern. Even though they did not have an answer immediately, they thought the arcing concern was a valid one. So they put me on hold and contacted someone else to provide an answer. After a long wait I was told that this DID NOT pose a problem and simply removing the connector should be OK.

A few days later I decided to get a second opinion and called my dealer and asked the same question. The service manager did not have an answer so he contacted one of the technicians and after another long wait I was told that removing the connector DID NOT pose a problem.

Although I RARELY remove the PLUG while CHARGING, I realized that sometimes this situation may arise, and although my concerns were somewhat satisfied, I still had the arcing question in the back of my mind.

This past week I stumbled across some official Ford documentation that addressed this situation. It stated that while the vehicle is charging, the “release” button on the charging cord should be pressed and held for about 2 seconds. The vehicle will sense this and STOP the charging cycle. This can be verified by listening to the vehicle closely and you will hear the sound of the “contactor/relay” disengaging. THEN the cord can be safely removed from the charging port WHILE continuing to press the button.

I verified this indeed does occur by monitoring the 120v AC charging current with a Kill-A-Watt meter and the current does go to about .07 amps from the normal charging current of about 11.5 amps when the button is pressed BEFORE removing the cord.

Another method than can be used is while the vehicle is charging, either from the MyFordMobile website or the vehicle MyTouch screen change the “Charge Profile” to another that does NOT provide for charging at the current time. This will also stop the charge cycle and the charge cord can be removed safely when no amperage is flowing in it.

I find it strange that Ford DOES NOT address this in any of their OWNERS MANUALS for use by their customer.

But I'm really disappointed that none of the Ford personnel I talked to conveyed this information to me.

I find it strange that Ford DOES NOT address this in any of their OWNERS MANUALS for use by their customer.

I would assume there is nothing in the manual about it because its a non-issue. It's a function that's used daily on these vehicles, so if there were a "certain way" to unplug the vehicle, I'm sure we'd be made aware of it. You don't have to do any dance to unplug any other type of consumer electronic device to prevent arcing, what would make the vehicle any different?

I would assume there is nothing in the manual about it because its a non-issue. It's a function that's used daily on these vehicles, so if there were a "certain way" to unplug the vehicle, I'm sure we'd be made aware of it. You don't have to do any dance to unplug any other type of consumer electronic device to prevent arcing, what would make the vehicle any different?

The reason I've even posted this is because I found the information about disconnecting it in the:

Ford Service Information for the 2013 Fusion Energi (Feb 2013) which is supplied by Ford Technical Services

But it was NOT in the Ford Owners Manual ALSO published by Ford !

Also MOST consumer electronic devices do not draw 11.5 to 25 amps of current.

Here is the exact wording from the Ford Technical Service Information manual:

To remove the EVSE cord, press the release button to stop the charging process. All the LED s shut off indicating it is safe to unplug the cord. There is a customer preference setting in the APIM to customize the operation of the Charge Port Light Ring (CPRL). The options available include: LED s On (normal operation), LED s Off except for Cord Acknowledgements and Puddle Light Activation requests, LED s Off (this setting prevents LED operation for any reason). 

Yes the 120V charger draws 11.5 amps But the 240V charger draws TWICE that amount. There is also available a 120V 16 AMP external charging unit.

WHY would Ford publish that information one place and not another?

The button is a mechanical latch BUT it also breaks the signal circuit leads that tell the vehicle's on-board charger what voltage and current the external charging unit is capable of. When the signal circuit is broken by the latch, the on-board charger drops the relay/contactor connecting the external charger. 

IF you release the button, without disconnecting the plug, the on-board charger immediately engages the contactor/relay and resumes the charging process.

Even though arcing of these contacts may not be an issue, why take that chance !

I have the Clipper Creek LCS-25 and the User's Manual has brief instructions on how to interrupt the charging.

It says to press and hold the release button and then unplug from the vehicle.  It isn't specific as to how long to hold the button.

But I have had to interrupt my Go Time preconditioning a couple of times.  I followed the instructions, pressed and held the release button for a couple of seconds, and I could hear the fans, blowers and whatever else that was working stop.  There was an audible click (the same click when the car recognizes the charger) and the charging ring turned off.  Then I disconnect the charger.  There isn't an explanation as to why I should press and hold the release button.  I decided I should just follow the instructions, but at least I learned that following these instructions stopped the charging before I unplugged which I figured must be a good thing.

A few years ago I was reading an article by a group that was test driving a Volt long term. They said the only problem they had was a damaged charging port connector, which they considered THEIR fault. They never did offer details on how it was damaged but I seem to recall that article every time I unplug my vehicle while charging is in progress. Maybe I’m just paranoid.

Years ago I worked for Boeing Aircraft, installing the Minuteman missiles in the Midwest, the early versions utilized  an (AC) motor/Generator (DC) that supplied power to all of the ground electronics. The AC motor was NOT capable of starting on AC power so when first connected the DC power cable had to be plugged in very carefully to start up the unit, then the AC power cable could be plugged in. If the DC cable was not plugged in quickly and firmly, the connector contacts would arc damaging them. Several motor/generators and their DC cables had to be replaced because of this. Later designs eliminated the Motor/Generator because of this hazard.

Bill, you are correct that pressing the latch button is detected by the charger in the car. The button disconnects the "proximity" signal, which is one of the two control signals on the J1772 connector (the other being the "pilot" signal). The proximity signal is used for several purposes: It allows the car to disable the drive when a charger cord is connected (to prevent driving away and damaging the port), and to gracefully shut down the charging process when the user is about to remove the plug. Among other things, the car is required to immediately (within 100ms, if I remember correctly) stop drawing significant current when proximity is disconnected. If the current were suddenly cut without graceful shutdown, it could indeed lead to unwanted voltage spikes and arcing in connector and power relays. However, due to the 100ms requirement, it is not necessary to hold the button for 2 seconds. You also gain a little time due to the fact that the plug is designed to break the control signals first before the "hot" AC connectors (they are on the two shorter pins in the plug). Everything will be fine unless you rip out the plug extremely fast. ;)

Edited by Energitic

Here is what I found about the J1772 specs -unfortunately it does not mention the 100ms.

The J1772-2009 connector is designed for single phase electrical systems with 120 V or 240 V such as those used in North America and Japan.

The round 43 millimetres (1.7 in) diameter connector has five pins, with three different pin sizes

• AC Line 1, AC Line 2 - same sized, larger power pins
  • Ground Pin
  • Proximity Detection, Control Pilot - same sized, smaller control pins

Proximity Detection - Prevents movement of the car while connected to the charger.

Control Pilot - Communication line used to coordinate charging level between the car and the charger as well as other information.

The connector uses a 1 kHz square wave at +/- 12 volts generated by the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE), i.e. the charging station, on the pilot pin to detect the presence of the vehicle, communicate the maximum allowable charging current, and control charging.[15] The connector is designed to withstand up to 10,000 connection/disconnection cycles and exposure to the elements. Approximating one connection/disconnection cycle daily, the average connector's lifespan should be just over 27 years.

The J1772 standard defines two charging levels:[8]

Voltage

Phase

Peak current

kW

AC Level 1

120 V

Single phase

16 A

2 kW

AC Level 2

240 V

Split phase

32 A (2001)
80 A (2009)

8 kW
19 kW

The J1772 standard includes several levels of shock protection, ensuring the safety of charging even in wet conditions. Physically, the connection pins are isolated on the interior of the connector when mated, ensuring no physical access to those pins. When not mated, J1772 connectors have no voltage at the pins,[18] and charging power does not flow until commanded by the vehicle.[17]

The pins are of the first-make, last-break variety. If the plug is in the charging port of the vehicle and charging, and it is removed, the control pilot and proximity detection pins will break first so that the Power Pin relay in the charging station will be shut off and no current will flow.

The signaling protocol has been designed so that[17]

J1772 signaling circuit

• supply equipment signals presence of AC input power
  • vehicle detects plug via proximity circuit (thus the vehicle can prevent driving away while connected)
  • control pilot functions begin
    • supply equipment detects plug-in electric vehicle
    • supply equipment indicates to PEV readiness to supply energy
    • PEV ventilation requirements are determined
    • supply equipment current capacity provided to PEV
  • PEV commands energy flow
  • PEV and supply equipment continuously monitor continuity of safety ground
  • charge continues as determined by PEV
  • charge may be interrupted by disconnecting the plug from the vehicle

The technical specification was described first in the 2001 version of SAE J1772 and subsequently the IEC 61851. The charging station puts 12 volts on the contact pilot CP and the proximity pilot PP (also "Plug Present") measuring the voltage differences. This protocol allows it to skip integrated circuit electronics as they are required for other charging protocols like the CAN Bus used with Chademo or EnergyBus – the SAE J1772 is considered robust enough for a range of −40 °C to +85 °C.

The charging station sends a 1000 Hz square wave on the contact pilot that is connected back to the protected earth on the side of the vehicle by means of a resistor and a diode (voltage range ±12 V ±0,4 V). The live wires of public charging stations are always dead if the CP-PE circuit is open, although the standard allows a charging current as in Mode 1 (maximum 16 A). If the circuit is closed then the charging station can also test the protective earth to be functional. The vehicle can request a charging state by setting a resistor - using 2700 Ω a Mode 3 compatible vehicle is announced ("vehicle detected") which does not require charging. Switching to 880 Ω the vehicle is "ready" to be charged and switching to 240 Ω the vehicle requests "with ventilation" charging which does not have an effect outdoors but the charging current will be switched off indoors if no ventilation is available. The charging station can use the wave signal to describe the maximum current that is available from the charging station with the help of pulse width modulation: a 16% PWM is a 10 A maximum, a 25% PWM is a 16 A maximum, a 50% PWM is a 32 A maximum and a 90% PWM flags a fast charge option.[19]

The pilot line circuitry examples in SAE J1772:2001 show that the current loop CP-PE is connected permanently via a 2740 Ω resistor making for a voltage drop to from +12 V to +9 V when a cable is hooked up to the charging station which activates the wave generator. The charging is activated by the car by adding parallel 1300 Ω resistor resulting in a voltage drop to +6 V or by adding a parallel 270 Ω resistor for a required ventilation resulting in a voltage drop +3 V. Hence the charging station can react by only checking the voltage range present on the CP-PE loop.[20] Note that the diode will only make for a voltage drop in the positive range - any negative voltage on the CP-PE loop will shut off the current as being considered a fatal error (like touching the pins).

The function of the Proximity Pilot PP is specified in IEC 61851 which allows the car to control the maximum charging current of the charging station by adding a resistor on the PP-PE loop. This allows adapter cables to use a resistance coding for the current:[21][22] The pilot line circuitry examples show that the resistor is put in the plugs of the adapter cable itself - if the PP-PE is connected through to the car then it allows its battery management system to control the charging process by shifting additional resistors that are put in parallel with the permant 2700 Ω resistor on the loop.

The pin PP is also named "Plug Present" as the SAE J1772 example pinout describes the switch S3 as being mechanically linked to the connector latch release actuator. During charging the EVSE side connects the PP-PE loop via S3 and a 150 Ω R6 - when opening the release actuator a 330 Ω R7 is added in the PP-PE loop on the EVSE side which gives a voltage shift on the line to allow the electric vehicle to initiate a controlled shutoff prior to actual disconnection of the charge power pins. However many low power adapter cables do not offer that locking actuator state detection on the PP pin.

The PWM duty cycle of the 1 kHz CP signal indicates the maximum allowed mains current. According to the SAE it includes socket outlet, cable and vehicle inlet. In the US the definition of the "ampacity" (ampere capacity) is split for continuous and short term operation, while the IEC has included the same ampere steps with only one nominal definition.[19] The SAE defines the ampacity value to be derived by a formula based on the 1000 µs full cycle (of the 1 kHz signal) with the maximum continuous ampere rating being 0,6 A per 10 µs (with lowest 100 µs = 6 A and highest 800 µs = 48 A).[20]

Unfortunately the COPY/PASTE left out the actual circuitry of the Proximity Detection/Control Pilot

Edited by Bills_Fusion_Energi

Unfortunately the full specification is only available against a fee, otherwise I'd point out the exact place in the documents for you. Of course, if you don't believe me,feel free to keep pressing the button for 2 seconds. :)

Energitic:

Pardon me for inferring that I do not believe you, but I'm just trying to obtain different viewpoints and further information on the subject, since there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding involving this subject. 

Note on my previous post NOT all low power devices utilize the disconnect feature.

These forums are supposed to be a discussion on various subjects BUT they sometimes seem to be an "attack" on an individuals comments, whether it was intended or not. That was NOT my intention here.

Bill

For those that are interested-Ford's official description follows

414-03B High Voltage Battery Charging System

2013 Fusion Hybrid/Energi

Description and Operation

Procedure revision date: 01/10/2013

High Voltage Battery Charging System - Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) - System Operation and Component Description

System Diagram

System Operation

Network Message Chart — Generic Function Module (GFM)

Broadcast Message

Originating Module

Message Purpose

Customer State-of-Charge (CSoC)

BECM

Used to determine the correct LED charge status

Plug present cord acknowledgement

SOBDM

Used to determine if a wall power plug is attached

Puddle light activation

BCM

Used to determine status of the puddle light

Ignition status

BCM

Used to determine ignition key state. The LED can only be lit if status is OFF or ACC.

Gear lever position

PCM

Indicates gear state. The LED can only be lit if the PRNDL is in the Park position.

High voltage battery charge status (not ready, charge wait, ready, charging, charge complete, fault)

BECM

Used to indicate charging status

Illumination (gateway)

BCM

Used to determine illumination level of the LED from daytime and nighttime

Ring On/Off (gateway)

APIM

The center stack sends a signal to turn the light ring on or off. This is a customer selectable preference.

12V Battery sensor voltage

BCM

12V battery voltage measured with BMS (Battery Monitoring Sensor)

Network Message Chart — Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module A (SOBDM)

Broadcast Message

Originating Module

Message Purpose

High voltage battery state of charge (SOC)

BECM

Used to notify other vehicle modules that the high voltage battery has reached 100% SOC

High voltage battery charge status (not ready, charge wait, ready, charging, charge complete, fault)

BECM

Used to transition the charger between charging and ready states

Vehicle operating mode

SOBDMC

Vehicle must be in non-torque producing mode prior to charging

Low voltage support

PCM

Used to activate the low voltage ouput and support the low voltage system

Gear lever position

PCM

Used to determine transaxle gear state

High voltage battery air inlet temperature

BECM

Used for high voltage battery cooling strategy

Ambient air temperature

PCM

Ambient air temperature used for cooling strategy

Cabin air temperature (gateway)

FCIM

Air temperature of cabin used for battery cooling strategy

Maximum current request

BECM

Used to limit and set target setpoint of charger

Maximum voltage request

BECM

Used to limit and set target setpoint of charger

Charge contactor open/close

BECM

High voltage battery charge contactor command

12V battery charge setpoint command

PCM

This message is used to set the 12V battery charging voltage. The PCM receives 12V battery status from the BCM .

DC/DC status

DC/DC Converter Control Module

Used to enable or disable charging of the 12V battery

Ignition status

BCM

Used to determine ignition key state

12V battery sensor voltage

BCM

12V battery voltage measured with BMS

Vehicle configuration data

BCM

Vehicle identification number used for supporting DTC global snapshot data

OBDII warm-up completions

PCM

Used to increment counters for DTC aging

Odometer master value

BCM

Vehicle odometer value

Component Description

SECONDARY ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC CONTROL MODULE A (SOBDM)

The SOBDM , also known as the BCCM, charges the high voltage battery and has an internal DC to DC Converter Control Module to maintain the 12V battery while vehicle is plugged into an external 110V or 220V AC EVSE.

When the EVSE cord is plugged in the SOBDM wakes up by sensing a control pilot signal. The pilot signal duty cycle is analyzed to determine AC line capacity and the frequency is monitored to make sure it is in the proper range. The EVSE monitors the pilot signal to determine when to turn on AC output. A separate proximity circuit signal is analyzed to confirm if the connection is stable and the S3 button on the external charger cord is released. If both signals are in correct range, the SOBDM transmits an on-plug message via HS1- CAN . The SOBDM confirms the vehicle is not in torque producing mode by looking at the vehicle operating mode on HS1- CAN from the SOBDMC and closes an internal S2 switch signaling the EVSE to send AC voltage to the SOBDM .

Switch S2 detection is determined by the pilot signal voltage change. If the AC voltage input is within range the SOBDM enables 12V battery charging and wakes up the BECM . While waiting to enter high voltage charging state, the SOBDM sets low voltage output to a minimum of 12.6V until it receives a low-voltage setpoint from the PCM via HS1- CAN . The SOBDM is ready for high voltage power conversion when it transmits a charger-ready message via the HS1- CAN .

The SOBDM internally transitions from a ready state to charging state of the high voltage battery upon receipt of a battery charge ready or charging message from the BECM via the HS1- CAN . The vehicle gear position must be in PARK or the BECM will not transition to a charge ready state. When the BECM status goes from a charge ready to a charging state the charge contactors internal to the high voltage battery junction box are closed to begin charging the high voltage battery. The SOBDM limits the voltage and current to the high voltage battery based on the maximum voltage and current requests from the BECM via the HS1- CAN . The SOBDM transmits high voltage and current output internal measurements to the BECM via the HS1- CAN .

During high voltage charging the BECM commands the outside air (OSA) duct mode door actuator to open. This allows outside air to be pulled into the high voltage battery pack to cool SOBDM . The BECM monitors the mode door position and motor circuits and sets a DTC if a fault is detected. The SOBDM monitors its internal temperature and commands the charger cooling fan speed accordingly to prevent overheating. When high-voltage charging is complete the BECM charging state HS1- CAN message switches from charging to charging complete and opens the high voltage charge contactors. The SOBDM continues to charge the 12V battery while AC input is present except when commanded off by the SOBDMC .

During high 12V electrical loads or if the ignition is turned on while the vehicle is plugged in the main DC to DC Converter Control Module is enabled to charge the 12V battery. If this occurs, the SOBDM disables its low-voltage support and no longer charges the 12V battery. However, it continues charging the high voltage battery. The SOBDM shuts down if the BECM status is charge complete.

If the release button (S3) on the EVSE is pressed while low-voltage or high-voltage charging is in progress, the SOBDM detects a change of proximity circuit voltage. The high-voltage and the low-voltage DC charging simultaneously stops. The SOBDM disables power conversion and opens the internal S2 switch. When the EVSE detects an open S2 switch by sensing a pilot signal voltage change, it drops the AC voltage output to zero so the charger cord can be safely removed. This prevents arcing of the charge port terminals when the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) cord is disconnected.

GENERIC FUNCTION MODULE (GFM)

The CPLR contains 4 LED segments that display the high voltage battery state of charge and high-voltage charging system faults. The customer turns the LED segments on or off by changing the setting in the FCIM menu. The GFM monitors the gear lever position and ignition signals to detect if the vehicle is in motion. Due to Federal/State regulations, the GFM cannot activate the LED s (Display On) when the vehicle is in motion. The CPLR LED s will not operate unless the gear lever position is Park and the ignition status is OFF or ACC. When the external charging cable is connected to the vehicle, the SOBDM receives the input from the charge port and analyzes the connection. A pilot signal indicates the utility present and the capability. A proximity signal confirms the AC voltage is stable. If the connection is good a plug present cord acknowledgement is sent to the GFM via HS1- CAN to wake it up. If the external charging cable is not plugged in correctly, the SOBDM will not wake up and the GFM remains off. Once the charging cord connection has been validated, the SOBDM and the BECM transmit data which includes CSoC, charge ready status, and illumination to the CPLR via HS1- CAN . The electronics included on the printed circuit board (PCB) of the light ring analyze the signals and illuminate the sections accordingly. When a fault is sensed by the GFM , a DTC is set and can be retrieved using a scan tool connected to the DLC .

COMPONENT OPERATION

The SOBDM is an air-cooled component that converts an input voltage of (120 or 240 volts) AC to high-voltage DC and low-voltage DC power, while maintaining electrical isolation between the systems. The SOBDM is known as the on-board charger. When plugged into an external power source, the SOBDM is enabled and charges the high voltage battery (168-361 volts) and the low-voltage battery (12-15 volts). The SOBDM steps the high-voltage down to a low-voltage (between 12 and 15 volts, depending on vehicle needs), providing power to charge the vehicle low-voltage battery. During charge the SOBDM incorporates an internal DC/DC converter to charge the low-voltage battery directly. When a fault is sensed by the SOBDM , a DTC is set and can be retrieved using a scan tool connected to the DLC .

The CPLR displays the current CSoC and charging operations of the high voltage battery. The CPLR is connected to the GFM using a pigtail harness located on the left front fender of the vehicle, just behind and above the left front wheel opening. When plugged into an external power source (120 or 240 volts), the GFM activates the light ring around the charge inlet port and performs a cord acknowledgment. If successful this sequence flashes one light segment one at a time in order. The segments shut off and this sequence repeats 2 times. During this sequence the GFM monitors the light segments for faults. If a non-functional segment is detected a DTC sets. This self-test can only detect a segment where all LED s are non-functional. The GFM communicates with other modules over the HS-CAN bus to analyze the signals to illuminate the sections accordingly. The CPLR displays charging, charging faults, and charging status. The light ring is segmented into 4 equal LED s, each indicating the state of charge: • One segment flashing < 25% charged • One segment lit (one segment flashing) > 25% charged • Two segments lit (one segment flashing) > 50% charged • Three segments lit (one segment flashing) > 75% charged. A flashing ring segment indicates a charge is in progress. When all four rings are solidly lit, the charging operation is complete. If less than four rings are solidly lit charging is not ready. When the charge is complete an internal timer starts to do a 3-5 minute shutoff to turn the LED s off and put the module to sleep. The LED s remain off until a Puddle Light Activation command is sent via the key fob or door handle. If the GFM receives a fault all LED segments flash rapidly for no more than 5 minutes before going to sleep. LED illumination varies depending if it is daytime or nighttime.

To remove the EVSE cord, press the release button to stop the charging process. All the LED s shut off indicating it is safe to unplug the cord. There is a customer preference setting in the APIM to customize the operation of the Charge Port Light Ring (CPRL). The options available include: LED s On (normal operation), LED s Off except for Cord Acknowledgements and Puddle Light Activation requests, LED s Off (this setting prevents LED operation for any reason).

Copyright © Ford Motor Company 

Edited by Bills_Fusion_Energi

Pardon me for inferring that I do not believe you, but I'm just trying to obtain different viewpoints and further information on the subject, since there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding involving this subject. 

Note on my previous post NOT all low power devices utilize the disconnect feature.

These forums are supposed to be a discussion on various subjects BUT they sometimes seem to be an "attack" on an individuals comments, whether it was intended or not. That was NOT my intention here.

No harm done. I can appreciate why you want to research this, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

FYI, the sequence of events is like this: When you push the button, the charger in the car quickly reduces the current it draws from the EVSE. Then it signals the EVSE to disconnect the power (which is now safe to do without arcing) via the pilot signal. So when you hear the relay in the EVSE click, the current has already been reduced. Then it shuts down it's own internal charging system (which includes turning off the LED ring).

EDIT: Sorry, I screwed up the quoting somehow ...

Edited by Energitic