Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How'd I do? 2014 Fusion Energi SE Luxury

cxd213

After pitting several dealerships against each other, stacking private cash and other discounts, I've agreed to a price of $28.2k for a black-on-black 2014 Ford Fusion Energi model. No options selected (this move is all about money savings). The Luxury SE model comes very nicely equipped in my opinion.

Anyhow, how'd I do?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I actually wound up getting the same car from a different dealership for a bit less than the price posted here because they gave me $1k more on my trade in. Had it for 10 days now and I've already saved nearly $150 in gas. This move was purely financial for me, with the added benefit of how nicely Ford equips the basic Energi models. Very happy with the purchase.

How are you guys getting these massive discounts? I'm in Florida and the dealers are all starting the negotiations, at best, between MSRP and invoice. I know these cars aren't selling all that well down here - the dealer nearest me has had two 2014s on the lot for 6 months at least. They want to start negotiating above sticker (which may explain why the are sitting there...)

I'd buy one today if I could get 6 or 7k off the MSRP....

My typical steps when buying a car go something like this:

1) Determine the car I want and the exact features I am willing to pay for

2) Research prices online (forums like these are great)

3) Email all local (50 mile radius) dealers requesting a price quote on a spec'd out car

4) I generally take 8-10% off the lowest price I'm given and respond back to several of the dealerships who seem willing to playball with an offer

5) If more than one dealership bites, you know your price isn't low enough yet. Tell DealerA that DealerB actually offered you an even lower price by 2%.

6) Continue step 5 above until you're down to 2-3 dealerships. You may need to make personal phone calls to keep hacking away at the price.

7) Make an in-person visit to the remaining 2-3 dealerships. Let them know the situation: you have multiple dealerships competing for the sale and that best price is going to win. Do not buy the car on these initial trips.

8) Wait a day or two and then make a final offer, knocking off two or three hundred bucks off the lowest price you've been able to attain.

A few notes about this process:

1) Don't feel bad about lying to a car dealership. Chances are they'll tell you 20 lies during this process.

2) Make sure you're negotiating out the door price, and request it in writing. They'll try to slip in stupid fees last minute (see note #1 above)

3) Educate yourself on the cost of the features. Know what you're paying for.

It's an annoyingly long process, but you can really get rock bottom prices on the FFE right now. Good luck!

Also, don't seem too eager. Don't respond instantly to emails/phone calls. Let them feel the anxiety of a sale slipping away.

The above list is mostly similar to the process I use, however one rule that I use is that any dealer that does not come back with an actual number and just gives the "yes we have that in stock so come on down and let's talk" is automatically OUT since I have no interest in the same old sales office gulag that I've been through several times, until online communication provided a different method.

Edited by jeff_h