Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone else keep getting followed by Teslas?

FrostFire

Yesterday morning I was driving to a meeting at ~70 mph in the middle lane of a three lane highway in auto running the electric drive, a Tesla passed me on the left at ~75 mph, moved in front of me, then into the right lane, then drove behind me before getting back into the left lane and driving off at 80-85 mph.  This isn't the first time a Tesla seemed unusually interested in me, is this a common experience?

Do you have anything specific in your state that distinguishes your vehicle as a plug-in hybrid (other than the factory "Energi" badging and the charge door)?  If so, it probably is curiosity if they haven't seen a Fusion Energi before.

There are EV/hybrid plates available, but I haven't bothered to get them yet since it requires a special visit to the RMV.  I had a problem with my 6 year old Mercury, so I semi-impulse bought the Energi instead of paying for repairs and drove it home (with standard plates) a few hours after my test drive.  I had a 2013 C-Max Energi as a rental in November, so I wanted the 2014 Fusion as soon as I adjusted the seat and my driving leg didn't rub against the center console.

I've seen a Tesla on the road at least 4 times in the last month and they were three different colors/trims.

There are a lot of Tesla's in the Bay Area.  I don't recall any of them paying the least bit of attention to the Energi.

To FrostFire...

That Tesla owner was probably asking himself, "I wonder how much that Aston Martin cost, and perhaps I should have bought that instead of my Tesla."   :)

Especially when you buy those Aston stickers that cover up your Ford logos...

Maybe he was thinking "I thought the Model E was supposed to be smaller, not bigger?  Why am I still driving the Beta version?".  Seriously am I the only one who glanced at the Model S and said "Too small, too unreliable, too expensive and too weird" I know the Tesla and even the Volt can go over 100 mph on pure electricity and my Energi switched into hybrid drive when I was going 82 mph in auto and the winding sub city tunnel tilted up, but how often are we really going to be driving like that?

Well, I can certainly understand if you think it's "too expensive", but "too small"? You should really reserve a test drive. The Model S is incredibly spacious, much more so than the Fusion (I won't even mention the trunk :)). It's a fantastic car if you can live with the range limitations.

As for the drivers who keep following you, perhaps they interested not in the car, but in you.  :camera: 

Well, I can certainly understand if you think it's "too expensive", but "too small"? You should really reserve a test drive. The Model S is incredibly spacious, much more so than the Fusion (I won't even mention the trunk :)). It's a fantastic car if you can live with the range limitations.

As for the drivers who keep following you, perhaps they interested not in the car, but in you.  :camera:

Trunk aside I disagree with you, I'm 6'3" and rode shotgun in a Tesla S for several miles/minutes a few months ago, I didn't spend much time fiddling with the seat adjustment controls, but it felt uncomfortably cramped.  Not anywhere near as bad as my mother's A4, but it felt as cramped as a Prius or C-MAX, not the kind of car I'd want to take on a roadtrip without opening the windows.  The Tesla does have more room in the trunk (assuming you don't think it's a suitable place for children), but I'd rather have a few inches between my scalp and the roof and not have my knees touching anything.  I take frequent international trips and always fit my luggage and anything else I need in the trunk (If someone's coming with me they can put their bags on the back seat).  I think the range on the Tesla would suit me just fine, but that range comes at a steep cost, it uses/loses half as much power everyday it's parked in the garage as my Energi uses being driven 20 miles a day, combined with the Tesla's large environmental footprint and poor mpkW while driving, buying a Tesla would just be too environmentally irresponsible for me (and I was driving a 27 mpg SUV 40 days ago).

If I was 5'10" or under and I had $.09/kW instead of $.18/kW electricity I'd probably be much more interested in the Tesla.  Anyone got advice on rooftop solar?

Rooftop solar is the best decision I've made in a long time. I have a 10 kW grid tied system and now that the sun has returned and the days are longer I'm generating twice as much power as I use on days when there are no clouds.  My electric bill last month was $7.12 which is the fixed charge.  I banked 264 kWh for future use.  The cost to charge my Energi is about $0.008 per kWh.  Don't get caught in the trap of trying to figure out how long it will take the system to pay for itself.  Treat is as an improvement to the house like you would with the addition of an in ground swimming pool.  There is a 30% federal tax credit against the cost of the system.  The state of PA also paid $7500 directly to the installer which reduced my cost by that amount.

The only downside is the horrible winter that just passed.  Solar panels don't generate power when they are covered with snow.

That was a concern I had about a solar power system... that federal tax credit.  Unfortunately, it's still a credit, similar to the credit for the Fusion Energi itself?  It isn't some kind of rebate?  If it's a credit... I'd have to find a way for someone else/company to claim that credit to pass it on to me.  I am very good at budgeting what I do earn and I do put away for large ticket items... still, if there's some kind of credit to be claimed, I'd like to find a way to claim all of it.

According to that site, excess credit can be carried forward until at least 2016... so if you got something installed this year, you can claim credit for 2014, 2015, and 2016 tax years.

Wish I didn't have a mortgage.  I've been eyeballing solar for a long time but my roof peak isn't the best for it (my peak is north/south with the faces east/west).  Same with the garage roof (detached). 

That was a concern I had about a solar power system... that federal tax credit.  Unfortunately, it's still a credit, similar to the credit for the Fusion Energi itself?  It isn't some kind of rebate?  If it's a credit... I'd have to find a way for someone else/company to claim that credit to pass it on to me.  I am very good at budgeting what I do earn and I do put away for large ticket items... still, if there's some kind of credit to be claimed, I'd like to find a way to claim all of it.

My buddy in CA has a TESLA and got the solar panels installed.  The company that installed the panels took the credit and he paid the balance.

He also ordered the TESLA with the smallest battery--there were three sizes.  Before they could get his car built, they eliminated the smallest battery size and he ended up with the next size up.  However, TESLA programmed the car so that his battery range is the same as the discontinued battery.  I think he can upgrade for $10K.  His current range is 140 miles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The two terrible Tesla crashes in SoCal yesterday have me a little worried about our battery packs and fuel tanks being so close together.

http://abc7.com/news/tesla-splits-in-2-after-chase-fiery-crash/155859/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Family-Members-Dead-After-Tesla-Honda-Crash-in-Palmdale-265890521.html

The Tesla that split in two hitting a Mercury, Honda and synagogue scattered its battery pack across the road creating an effect bystanders described as fireworks shooting 100 ft into the air as the lithium battery cells ignited.  The Tesla that rear ended a Toyota on a highway crushed the rear half of the Toyota engulfing it in flames.

I know our battery system is much more elaborately engineered and packaged than the Tesla pack and the smaller number of cells means there are far less chances for one to rupture and start a chain reaction... but it's still pretty close to the gas tank if an idiot rear-ends us hard.  Anyone else worried about this or know some reason to feel it's safer than I worry?

The two terrible Tesla crashes in SoCal yesterday have me a little worried about our battery packs and fuel tanks being so close together.

http://abc7.com/news/tesla-splits-in-2-after-chase-fiery-crash/155859/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Family-Members-Dead-After-Tesla-Honda-Crash-in-Palmdale-265890521.html

The Tesla that split in two hitting a Mercury, Honda and synagogue scattered its battery pack across the road creating an effect bystanders described as fireworks shooting 100 ft into the air as the lithium battery cells ignited.  The Tesla that rear ended a Toyota on a highway crushed the rear half of the Toyota engulfing it in flames.

I know our battery system is much more elaborately engineered and packaged than the Tesla pack and the smaller number of cells means there are far less chances for one to rupture and start a chain reaction... but it's still pretty close to the gas tank if an idiot rear-ends us hard.  Anyone else worried about this or know some reason to feel it's safer than I worry?

Unfortunately cars that wreck at high speed, especially at 100 mph almost never end well. Battery or no, the survival rate at 100 mph is not good.  This would have not been significant news except it was a Tesla.

If it helps, here are the crash test ratings for the Fusion Energi... nothing worse than 4 stars. http://www.cars.com/ford/fusion-energi/2014/safety-ratings/

• 2 months later...

Wow, great and far ranging thread!  First I see Tesla's all the time here in SoCal and there are a couple of aggressive Tesla drivers who live nearby that are always trying to race me when I'm on my 991 S?  I not a street racer and could care less which car is fastest but they appear to need to prove something...

Once my new company is up and running (another 18 mos) I will be looking into the Tesla's since I do head down the OC several times a month and the extended range would be a real blessing for me. 

I just finished having solar installed on my home, 18 - 270watt panels and it was a joy to see the meter running backwards when I first turned them on...now if SoCal Edison would get off their duffs and "bless" the system I will be able to turn in on for good.  I did a lot of research before buying solar (lot's of confusion/smoke/mirrors due to Fed rebates/depreciation, etc.) so you have to be careful and understand what you are getting into.  Try and avoid the "0 Down Lease with annual rate escalation clause" if you can as this is what you are trying to avoid - future rate hikes!!  Think of it this way, it's only equipment and would you ever lease a car and agree to increases in your monthly payment each year of your lease?  Just extra profit for the Solar company!  I prepaid for my guaranteed power at 8.4 cents a kWh, vs SoCal Edison's Tier 1 kWh cost of .15 cents...smoking good deal and since my production is retiring Tier 4 (32 cents kWh) and Tier 3 (28 cents kWh) costs I'm saving in the neighborhood of $230/mo. in electricity (at today's rates - will be greater savings as the rates continue to rise in the future) AND if feels GREAT to be green!!  My ROI is at 4.7yrs (in terms of current rates - will be less time as rates increase) and a new buyer does not have to assume a lease or anything.  By the fact that I purchased the POWER NOT the hardware, my solar company remains on the hook for maintenance and insuring against theft, damage, etc. for 20 years at which time the system reverts to me for $0 buyout.  Not to mention this insulates me from future rate hikes that will continue to occur (I've heard that the next 5 years of rate hikes have already been approved and are just waiting to be phased in by SoCal Edison).  And to Russael's point on the Federal Credit, what my Solar company did was reduce my purchase price by the full credit amount since THEY are still technically the owner of the system (I just bought the power it produces OR if you go for  the lease program they are still the technical owner) so they will up front reduce your costs with the credit amount (then they will get this credit/rebate from the gov't. as well as the depreciation).  That was another disadvantage of purchasing the SYSTEM (equipment) upfront as I would have had to wait and file for the credit on my Fed tax return.  Anyway I could go on and on but am very happy with my new solar system for sure!

Last but not least, I'm a curious fellow, and last night had the fabric trunk lining out of my FFE (adding Dynamat and just checking out the technology, etc.)  There is a fairly beefy steel "impact cage" around the HVB and it is fairly far inboard, would be hard for egress from the rear or sides to impact the HVB, but never say never :)

Edited by HotLap