Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi market reflections re:Upside vs Poolside ads

FrostFire

I don't see a discussion about this, but I'm completely new to these forums: http://insideevs.com/upside-poolside-parody-featuring-ford-c-max-energi-video/

I feel like the Fusion is the happy medium in the plug in car market with solid features and broad market appeal.  The Fusion is larger and in most ways more comfortable than the ELR, runs more efficiently on both electricity and gas, has a comparable curb appeal and is much more reasonably priced.  While some prefer the more compact feel and easier parking that comes with the C-MAX, I think most people willing to spend $30k on a car would choose a Fusion over a C-MAX.  Because the Ford Energi line shares its look with the matching hybrid and conventional models, buying one doesn't imply the same level of pretention and green washing the ELR, Tesla and Prius are lampooned for.  I'm an eco-conscious millennial white collar professional suburban homeowner and the Fusion Energi perfectly suits all my large or growing demographics, while the other plug ins seem targeted at odd niches.

I go to meetings in a lot of business environments and my social life spans the ecological/economic/artistic spectrum.  The Fusion Energi can go almost anywhere; it looks great, is from a respectable American company, its EV functionality/technology gives it a pass in circles where everyone else is driving a luxury import and its environmental/efficiency credentials can justify the higher end purchase price in circles where those cars are scorned.  I'd be the butt of jokes if I tried to drive a Leaf, Tesla, ELR or even C-MAX for a week, the Fusion Energi really seems like the most societally versatile plug in car.  I also love the functional versatility of the Energi platform, my daily commute is only 15 miles leaving me plenty of spare EV range and I don't have to hesitate or think about charging when making last minute plans a hundred miles from home.

Buying a Fusion Energi isn't a decision that needs a personal philosophy to explain it, it should be seriously considered by most upper middle class homeowners as well as many other Americans.  Any word on when Ford plans to build an Escape Energi or other SUV/mini-van option?

PS:  I still can't believe Ford didn't charge the C-MAX in the Upside commercial...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Agree with your sentiments above and what really attracted me to the FFE over the Volt, etc. was it's contemporary sedan looks, seating for 5 and the fact that I can add a roof rack (something that is recommended against with the Volt).  I like to ride my bicycles and am taking up paddle boarding so have to be able to install a roof rack.  I've never understood why manufacturer's insist on the cartoonish looking bug eyed electric vehicles...I think Ford got it right with the Fusion for sure and would like to see additional battery range and see the Energi technology available on most if not all of their platforms....another thought, I didn't even look at long-term ROI, as I traded a 2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew Platinum straight across for my new 2014 FFE. Actually, after rebates I'll have a new green car and about $3500.00 in my pocket:)  What really gets me is that my avg mpg to date is 127mpg after 2200 miles!  I drive 200 mile round trips several times a month and that brings down the average, still compared to my truck's 12 - 14mpg I'm realizing instant and significant fuel savings...and have only used 18 gals of gas in 2200 miles (still have a half tank too)!  My truck on the other hand would have used much more and filling that 36 gal extended range tank was very expensive...most pumps wouldn't let me go high enough to fill it in one stop :)  If I only drove in town with my FFE, my avg mpg would be much, much higher, but I didn't buy this car for just in town driving.  One of the ABSOLUTE BEST investments since purchasing the FFE is the 220volt charger.  It makes driving an electric car much more enjoyable when you are not having to worry where your charge level is before you run errands, ,etc. Worth every penny, and in town I'm always in EV NOW mode...don't think I've ever fired up the gas engine in town yet. Also, I take issue with other PHEV owners (you know who you are :)) saying the FFE is slow in EV mode?!  It is anything but slow, I'm an aggressive driver (just in my nature) and am generally in the lead of the pack...as a matter of fact I notice sometimes others want to race me as they can't live with the fact that an EV is out accelerating them :)  I just smile...