Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is Vehicle Plugged in message

eeeny

Well, I got the "Is vehicle Plugged in Y/N?" message again this morning after the dealer had applied TSB11-07-13 a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed this time that the MFM comes up with a message that it could not start charging due to "External Fault".  But I think this is just because it thinks the charger is alwas plaugged in, so every time I shut the car off it

thinks it should start to charge but there is no power source.  It must be a firmware bug.  I hope that FORD gets a fix for this soon, it is getting annoying.  I just hope that after the car stiing in work parking lot all day, the 12v battery will still be good.

I called Ford and the just wanted me to take it to a dealer, but the dealers are all fully booked up until next week.  Either the car will be dead tonight and I'll have to call roadside assistance, or it'll be ok and then there is no rush to take it in.

The problem went away by itself last time, before the TSB was applied, but I seem to rememeber that it required me to plug and unplug the charger about 20 times, which I cannot do at work since there is no charger.  If I do take it in to the dealer, I have very little confidence that they will know how to fix it. 

Edit:

I just l looked at MFM again and is says that the car is waiting to charge.  Two things are funny about that: 1), it is not plugged in and 2) I don't have it set up for a value charge on the default location (work is a default, or it was but now that it thinks the car is running on an infinite teather, it may think my whole commute route is a new charging location ;-) ) 

Notifications
Edited by eeeny

The only time I got the 'external fault' was last week when our neighborhood had a power outage when charging was halfway done (a true 'external fault').

Is this occurring on a L2 charger at home?  I wonder if it would also happen on the dealer's charger, to try and help isolate things?  May be worth a drive by the dealer and plugging in if possible, unless the car does it with any charger.

Yes it's on an L2 charger (Bosche) at home.  I can try plugging it into the supplied L1 charger to see if it corrects the problem.  The car charged up fine on the L2 charger, it just didn't like being disconnected.

It completed charging at 1am and it was not until 9:30 am that it reported the external fault, which was when I stropped the car after driving about 10 miles.

FYI, the charger is in the car, the L2 charger box is just a a relay, a GFCI and some simple communications to safely connect the power to the charging connector via the relay once the car and box have exchanged some simple information.

The "charger box" tells the car how much current it can supply and the car "promises" not to exceed that.  (though the charger has no regulation over it).

They should be sub $100 since there is very little in them.

Edited by eeeny

I get those messages all the time:  Scheduled Charge did not begin - external fault.

I simply ignore them.  The car is complaining because I did not plug it in or I had the charger turned off.  Sometimes it displays the following instead:

Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in. 

It is very persistent if I don't plug it in or turn the charger on.  I had over 100 messages waiting in the queue.  If you have scheduled GO times and don't plug the car in soon enough before the GO times, it will complain. 

Edited by larryh

The manual refers to the warning message on page 102 of the manual, but it doesn't exlpain why the message has occurred.

Is Vehicle Plugged-In?

Your vehicle needs confirmation it is unplugged before
allowing a start. You must make sure your vehicle is unplugged
and you respond to the message prompt before starting your
vehicle.

Why doesn't the car know that there is no charger plugged in? It should be able to sense the lack of signalling from the "charger box", it must be a software bug somewhere.

So I tried pluggin and unplugging with 2 seconds button wait with the ford L1 and the bosche L2 charger with no luck, still flashing.

However, the problem had resolved itself during the overnight charge.

Still makes me nervous that the car will be sitting in the parking lot at work all day at work with the charging ring flashing away, it must be drawing some current from the 12v battery.

I see a lot of people reorting that their 12v battery dies for some unexplained reason which is very inconvenient, plus discharging a wet cell lead acid battey is not good for it.

I'm sure Ford will get to the bottom of it, but they need to be made aware of the problem (Ashley?).

Edited by eeeny

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Had this happen today with 2014 Fusion 5k miles;flashing ring and plugged in message 

unable to place in gear;awaiting dealer advice Monday or sooner here??

Believe I updated SYNC software 2 weeks ago via SD card;Related??

Did you manage to make it to your dealer today, cheger? Keep me in the loop with what they determined.

Meagan

• 4 months later...

Got this message after charging at work.  After about 15 times stopping and starting the car, it let me drive.  I made the mistake of going shopping after, and I was stranded at Lowes for a while.  But again, after 15 or so ignition cycles, I could leave.

Obviously, I chose 'no' but it wouldn't let me drive away.

HXV9N2y.jpg?2

Got this message after charging at work.  After about 15 times stopping and starting the car, it let me drive.  I made the mistake of going shopping after, and I was stranded at Lowes for a while.  But again, after 15 or so ignition cycles, I could leave.

Obviously, I chose 'no' but it wouldn't let me drive away.

HXV9N2y.jpg?2

Get it to a Ford Dealer. There is something wrong with the charging system.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...