Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Car DVR / Dash Camera

dnorris78

I am considering a dash cam for my Energi to protect myself from fraud and to record in case of an accident. Does anyone use a dash cam? If so which one do you have and how does it perform for you? I have been researching them for a while. There are many on the market. I am considering this one

http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution/dp/B00HFZZSK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397614430&sr=1-1&keywords=mini+0801

Like you, I've been researching them for a while.  Almost needed it a few days ago when a cyclist decided to ignore the traffic light and just rolled in to the intersection while I was on approach (light was green).  Skidded to a halt... tires broke loose quicker than I expected.  Numnut just looked at me and smiled... no idea why people smile when they nearly get creamed.

I've been eyeballing this one:  https://thevideocopilot.com/the-video-dash-cam-store/dual-channel-dash-cams/vc-250-dual-channel-hd-720p.html

Expensive, but should be very worth it.  It'd help keep me honest. ;)

Nice thing is the MFT has video inputs... I can review the video right on the 8" touchscreen in case something DOES happen.

Like you, I've been researching them for a while.  Almost needed it a few days ago when a cyclist decided to ignore the traffic light and just rolled in to the intersection while I was on approach (light was green).  Skidded to a halt... tires broke loose quicker than I expected.  Numnut just looked at me and smiled... no idea why people smile when they nearly get creamed.

I've been eyeballing this one:  https://thevideocopilot.com/the-video-dash-cam-store/dual-channel-dash-cams/vc-250-dual-channel-hd-720p.html

Expensive, but should be very worth it.  It'd help keep me honest. ;)

Nice thing is the MFT has video inputs... I can review the video right on the 8" touchscreen in case something DOES happen.

I had an idiot run a red light and turn left in front of me recently. I had to slam on the breaks. In 2011 I was rear ended by a teenager while she was texting. My 2006 Fusion was totaled. I am thinking of one in front and one in rear.

I forgot about the video input on MFT. Thanks for reminding me.

I bought the DoD Tech LS430W in February and have used it almost every day.  Price including shipping was $299.90 from DoD Tech and I bought a separate 32GB micro SD chip. I've been impressed with the HD clarity and low light performance. The GPS is rock solid. DoD Tech has a viewer that you download from their web site that shows your Google map position sync'ed to the video. The 32GB chip will hold about five hours of video.

My only complaint is the poor instructions that come with the unit.  You have to read the forums to really learn how to use the camera. Download from the camera to my computer is very slow.  That's an annoyance, but not a complaint.

Some cautions:

Watch out for counterfeit products.  If you see a price that's too good to be true, it's probably a fake and the performance will suffer.

The forums have many negative reviews on the dual channel (front and rear camera) models and the 720p resolution will probably not perform well, so I;d recommend against the model Russael is looking at.   Of course, there are new and improved cameras coming out almost weekly, so my experience may be dated. I notice that Garmin now has a couple of dascam models that were not available when I bought mine.  They make pretty good stuff.

Whatever unit you buy, make sure it has a display.  You absolutely need that to adjust the camera through the window.

The dashcam forums such as http://dashcamtalk.com/ and http://www.carcamcentral.com/ are very helpful (like this forum was when I bought my Energi). It looks like you guys have already shopped those.

Mounting on a Fusion is somewhat difficult due to the extreme slope of the windshield.  My display looks okay, but I would rather have the camera closer to the glass.  I don't want to use a permanent mount (the suction cup works well) and you really don't want to mount the camera in the grid at the top of the windshield.

Good luck.

I wasn't aware that Garmin was starting to make cameras.  Took a look at some of them... then looked at the Amazon reviews.  Looks like they're still in their infancy.

The Video Copilot has other models... they have a single channel 1080p unit as well as various other models... up to 4 channel.

So long as the camera has a video output, I don't see a need for a display since you can play it back through the car's MFT screen.  Of course, if the camera DOESN'T have an output, well, alignment will be more tricky and a screen would help you.

There's SO MANY cameras out there but I can't find one where everybody is happy with it.

I ended up ordering the Mini 0801 ... This one has a very small foot print and was reviewed and highly recommended by Techmoan and it has all the features I wanted.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html

I ordered from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution/dp/B00HFZZSK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397925983&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+0801

I will also purchase a 32 gb micro SD card to go into the camera which will give me 5 to 6 hours of record time.

Russael,

I don't think the video output will work well for you. It's hard enough routing the power wire from the power to camera, I can't imagine how you would connect up to the video connector in the console witthout a bunch of dangly stuff.just   The video output would is fine if you are parked and want to play back what you just recorded, but for most operations, you'll want to playback on the computer. (Which reminds me that I need to order a mini to RCA cable from Monoprice.)   Here's a couple of pictures how my dashcam was mounted before I snaked the cord up over the sun visor, tucked it into the A pillar and behind the glovebox to get to the power.

dnorris78,

The Mini 801 looks like a good one.  As I understand it, the Ambarella chipset powers many of dashcams, but there are big differences in the firmware that makes for a better user interface.  I really like the small size of the Mini.  Let us know how you like it.

post-183-0-07774600-1397943222_thumb.jpg

post-183-0-98921300-1397943222_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my second test of the Mini 0801 Dash Cam

http://youtu.be/lLPp3yt91Es

This was a trip to work 4/29/14 in the AM.

while the power ports did turn off eventually it takes to long for my purposes.  I am looking for long USB cables to power the cameras from the USB ports.  I need a power source that gets turned off when I turn the ignition key off.

I currently use a Smarty BX1000 (amazon

I also use a Flash Air WiFi sd card with it. (Amazon) I currently have the BX1000 setup to only record when it detects excessive force it will capture 15 seconds prior and 15 seconds after the excessive force and save the video to the WiFi sd card. I then setup my phone to automatically check the WiFi card and download any new files to the phone and then off to dropbox using Tasker (app). I always hated having to take the sd cards out of these things to see the videos.

I bought this back in 2010 so video quality isn't as great but here is a video from my old car I captured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH_Cm6K1Cyk

...it will capture 15 seconds prior and 15 seconds after the excessive force...

If the trigger event is the excessive force itself, how does it record 15 seconds prior?  It must be always recording and just storing from the buffer when the event is captured?  Also, why only 15 seconds?  I could see a larger window being beneficial in those circumstances.

Edited by blars

If the trigger event is the excessive force itself, how does it record 15 seconds prior?  It must be always recording and just storing from the buffer when the event is captured?  Also, why only 15 seconds?  I could see a larger window being beneficial in those circumstances.

Yes, it is recording non stop but not saving it until an "event" happens. You can change the settings, you can do 15 seconds prior to the event and 45 seconds after the event or have it record non stop and save the full video file for playback.

• 1 month later...

How exactly does one try to dispute rear ending someone else ???

I first wondered that same thing, but I guess maybe the driver in back disputed that this car (in the video) was knocked into that car in front by the force of the car that came from behind... so if this car with the video camera already ran into the car in front, that car in the back only has to cover one accident claim instead of two, I suppose.

I have been on the fence about getting one of these, leaning more and more toward one.

I use mine almost every day.  So far, nothing exciting other than the deer standing in the middle of the street, a fox crossing the road in Arlington and a school bus hitting a goose.  Of course, I have lots of idiots cutting me off, running straight in the right turn only lane, and other assorted acts of bad behavior.