Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Variability in # of miles a full charge produces?

ENERGIZD

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing some variation in the number of EV miles after I charge overnight.  The high has been 26mi, but lately been seeing only 22mi.  Climate settings are unchanged and trips are pretty consistent.  Any ideas on what is causing it and how I can try to maximize for the 26mi?  Thanks for shedding some light on why the variance?

ENERGIZD

are you using the same key fob? so many things can affect the mileage, small things you might not even notice. Defroster will kill it, heated seats, and any accessory usage will decrease it no matter how small it may seem to you. to receive a range of 26 is very good, I only see it after consecutive days of just EV use.

Also keep in mind that the mileage shown in the battery is just an estimate based on historical driving and whether or not the climate button is "on/off".  If you left the "climate on" and you get in the car after a charge it will read lower than if the "climate off".  You can see this for yourself at the next completion of the charge.  Just turn the climate on or off and it will change the estimated range.  I wouldn't worry to much about the battery indicator after a charge, unless it shows something drastically different.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing some variation in the number of EV miles after I charge overnight.  The high has been 26mi, but lately been seeing only 22mi.  Climate settings are unchanged and trips are pretty consistent.  Any ideas on what is causing it and how I can try to maximize for the 26mi?  Thanks for shedding some light on why the variance?

ENERGIZD

I know what you mean. It is not an issue of how many actual e-miles I drive which is affected by how I drive or climate control usage.The question is about what the little battery on the control panel says when I start it up after an overnight charge. Sometimes I start the car and it shows 22 miles and another time it shows 24, 25 or 26 miles.  I have wondered if it has to do with how many miles I had left in the battery when I turned it off the night before, or how long from the time it stopped charging until I got in, as if it lost some "miles of battery" after it charged, or if the longer it is plugged in it continues to trickle charge raising the miles.  I don't have an answer; I was wondering the same thing myself.

marelind -- Driving this car at different speeds, on different elevations, how cold or hot is out, how fast you accelerate, how good you are at recapturing energy by regenerative braking, how many red lights you hit, and on and on and on will have an impact on how many miles you will squeeze out of the battery.

When you start up the car in the morning, it is basically guessing how far you are going to make it based on the most recent experience the car had. If you just drove the car on the freeway at 65 mph with the AC on the number will be lower than if you were scooting around town on a lovely 70 degree day with the windows down cruising at 35 mph.

In the end, its just a guess and it will adjust to your current drive as it gets more information.  I have turned mine on to only see 17 miles estimated range, I have also seen 43. But its just the same amount of energy available... but the people who designed the system thought it would be better to put the projected range rather than an absolute of how many KWhs are available. I personally find it useful, but I also understand that its just a guess. 

Hope this helps.

In the end, its just a guess and it will adjust to your current drive as it gets more information.  I have turned mine on to only see 17 miles estimated range, I have also seen 43. But its just the same amount of energy available... but the people who designed the system thought it would be better to put the projected range rather than an absolute of how many KWhs are available. I personally find it useful, but I also understand that its just a guess. 

Well said - I have seen mine as low as 18 at the start, and as high as 40.  But for my normal daily commute drive behavior it ranges from 28-32 during nice MPG weather and 19-22 during winter (bad MPG weather)...

marelind -- When you start up the car in the morning, it is basically guessing how far you are going to make it based on the most recent experience the car had. If you just drove the car on the freeway at 65 mph with the AC on the number will be lower than if you were scooting around town on a lovely 70 degree day with the windows down cruising at 35 mph.

meyersnole, this now makes sense.  I still can't believe how much this car "thinks" about everything.  ;)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The car does not provide that information directly.  You need an OBD II adapter and either the Forscan or Torque Pro App in order to get the PID "Energy to Empty" which is how many kWh of energy the BECM (Battery Energy Control Module) thinks is in the battery.  The car only displays the kWh of energy consumed after the fact. 

Thanks. That's kind of what I suspected since I didn't see anything that even remotely looked like it would lead to direct battery readings. Oh well.

What I'm actually trying to figure out is whether the charging at work from a station is putting more in than the charging at home on 120. The "miles available" aren't going to be accurate since I live on the top of a hill and it's always going to think that I'm going to get less from a charge at home because it's just come up 800' of hill! :)