Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Rural hilly and highway driving

toywaltz

I'm looking at a host of different vehicles for a commuter and interested in input from those that drive these on a regular basis on similar roads/terrain.  Here's my typical commute:

-4 days a week, 60 miles RT.  About 55 miles are on hilly/curvy rural state routes and the rest in-town with about seven quick traffic lights.  I usually run about 65mph on rural section.  I also need to pass trucks at times to avoid getting stuck behind them on the steepest hills, so it's not uncommon to have a couple quick runs to 80mph each day to get around traffic. 

-1 day a week, 140 miles RT.  4 miles of downtown, 15 miles of (sometimes) stop-go heavy highway traffic, and the balance 75mph highway cruising, somewhat hilly.

I have included a FFH, FFE, and FF 2.0 in my cost analysis and I'm estimating averages of 40, 40, and 28 respectively.  I tend to average about 90% of EPA highway on my gas vehicles and usually exceed it by 10% with my current TDI.  I only estimated 85% of hwy for the 2.0 as they don't seem to hit their numbers consistently.  For the FFE I've used the 40mpg number for the portion of the trip where the EV is consumed and then added the cost of electric.   

I realize this is probably the worst scenario for a hybrid or EV but it seems like there's still a benefit over a 28mpg average vehicle.  While cost isn't my only factor in this, I do at least want to get the numbers as accurate as possible for comparison purposes.  The FFE intrigues me and I like the idea of using this for other errands on weekends and possibly handing this over to my daughter in a few years when she starts driving. 

TIA for any input.

I don't see mention above as to whether you would have the capability to plug in while at work -- that would make a huge in difference in which model would be best.

You're right, it does play into the calcuation and I'm making assumptions around the electric use.  I do have the opportunity to plug-in on the four-a-week trips.  I'm estimating only about 15 miles of electric only range given the steep hills.  Plus it's cold here 4-5 months.  But I'm really trying to get a feel for what to expect once it's rolling in conventional hybrid mode. On paper it's about 1mpg shy of the FFH but I'm also researching how that vehicle performs in the same situation.      

How large are those hills, and how steep?  The Fusion Energi may be able to benefit from the hill descent significantly more than the Fusion Hybrid due to the higher battery capacity.  The motors can charge the battery pretty quickly, and the hybrid could top out before you reach bottom, which would make the ICE come on in 'air compressor mode', wasting that additional energy that the Energi could capture.  However, you are hauling around 300lbs of additional weight uphill too, so a bit of extra energy is expended there too.

I've found that if you travel 92 miles per day, charging only once, that is the break even point for economy between the FFH and FFE on flat ground.  The FFH starts beating the FFE beyond that point, plus the FFH gets you more trunk space.  Considering you're also able to charge at work tips that scale back to the FFE's favor.

Regarding the hills on my 4-day/week trips, there are lots of ups/down, but the biggest hills look like this:

-200' ascent 4.0 miles 

-200' descent 0.6 mile (with three "s" turns, 40mph is typical)

-150 descent 6.0 miles

-250' ascent 0.7 mile (with two sweeping "s" turns, 60mph is typical)

-200' descent 1.0 mile (fairly straight)

Reverse on the way home.  This is actually a very fun drive and many manufacturers, car magazines, and sports clubs use this road regularly.  I really don't want something that's a zero on the fun scale and it seems even the FFH and FFE get decent reviews from a performance standpoint.  I'd never buy a Prius or Camry as they're just terrible.   

The trunk is definitely a concern that plays into the mix.  We rarely would use this as a family hauler, but there are times we could on shorter trips.  So I do need to fit a few bags in the back for those instances. 

There is a dealer nearby that I use for buying company vehicles and they always have a couple FFH on the lot.  I'm going to get one and drive it for a few days.  They've never had an Energi though so I'm not sure if I will have the same opportunity for that or not. 

Edited by toywaltz

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this helps, but I have a 46 mile commute round trip...12 of which are city (35-40mph). I don't have much for curves, but the commute is from 1000ft elevation to 0 on my way work. Most of my freeway driving is at 65-75mph (and use hybrid mode). Ascending that elevation on the way home does make it hard on any battery I have left, but I manage to save just enough battery to get home from the freeway each day.

I'm averaging anywhere from 60-80mpg ...and do not charge at work (too expensive in my parking garage).