Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Does anyone know if we can charge at Ford Dealerships?

dmackdaddy

My local dealer has a charger just past the entrance to the service area, and another out front in the sales lot area... I've used the front one twice when my car was there for service (to make sure that the Go-Times were indeed working) and they had no problem with that, but I think things would be different if I planned to use it on a daily basis - cars would start getting parked in front of it, like Murphy notes.

My dealer told me to use it whenever I'd like. They have 2 units, one outside by service and one near the customer entrance to the dealership, however the "front facing" station is broken.  They asked me to "give them a heads up" before pulling down around the service area exit station.  I have yet to use the stations.

Steve

If I remember the rules correctly, one must be in a public accessible location, the other in service. I've stopped at three different Ford's to charge at, I pull up to it, ask and have always been told a happy and hardy yes. They even move cars/trucks (non-customer mind you) out of the way. I'm tempted to see how friendly Nissan dealers are...

I'm sure they enjoy seeing their most expensive Fusion parked there... ok, when she's freshly washed.

My local dealer told me that I could use their charger any time I needed a charge.  Every time that I have taken my car in for TSB's they always return it fully charged.

I live in a small town so I have yet to use their charger since my in town errands never use up the HVB.  The drive from my house to my dealer is about 3 miles.

I would hope that if you ask permission they would be more than happy to accommodate your request.  If you're eating lunch you probably don't need a full charge anyway so it shouldn't take much time to fill 'er up.

My dealer told me that since I am a customer it is okay to charge anytime. I have charged more than 6 times. They also will give me a courteous ride and will come pick me up, and they have.

I asked another ford dealer and since I didn't buy from them they said No.

Each dealership has their own rules.

I spoke with 2 nissan dealerships one said $10 for a charge the other said "sure charge anytime free".

It cant hurt to ask.

My dealer told me that since I am a customer it is okay to charge anytime. I have charged more than 6 times. They also will give me a courteous ride and will come pick me up, and they have.

I asked another ford dealer and since I didn't buy from them they said No.

Each dealership has their own rules.

I spoke with 2 nissan dealerships one said $10 for a charge the other said "sure charge anytime free".

It cant hurt to ask.

At $10 they obviously don't want you to charge.  That's about the same as paying $48 for a gallon of gasoline.

Not to be a dick, but I'd tell Ford customer service about the one that didn't let you charge. You are first a Ford customer and I'd think they'd not want to permanently loose your business because you happened to buy your Ford at a different dealer. I think the purpose of Ford requiring a public facing charger is say 'hey, stop buy anytime in your nice Fusion/Focus for other customers to see in use.'

But credit to them you asked, they said no.

Edited by shaggy314

I am brand new to this forum having just find it today, and a proud NEW owner of a Fusion Titanium Energi...  :wub:   I actually work at Chapman Ford in Scottsdale, AZ and have to say, our dealership has two of the 220 volt Leviton Chargers. We would WELCOME anyone to come in and use either one of the stations. I currently use the one out front for my vehicle now when I am at work...  :happy feet:   but there is one in Service as well and both are seldom used... UNTIL NOW!  :)

I have just joined this group and wanted to share my experiences with Ford Dealerships on this topic of using their Charging Stations...  Don't be surprised however if you get questions from a sales person about your car... How do you like your car...? Want to buy a new one cause we want to buy yours... lol All part of the game for a FREE charge I guess...  ;)

I am brand new to this forum having just find it today, and a proud NEW owner of a Fusion Titanium Energi...  :wub:   I actually work at Chapman Ford in Scottsdale, AZ and have to say, our dealership has two of the 220 volt Leviton Chargers. We would WELCOME anyone to come in and use either one of the stations. I currently use the one out front for my vehicle now when I am at work...  :happy feet:   but there is one in Service as well and both are seldom used... UNTIL NOW!  :)

I have just joined this group and wanted to share my experiences with Ford Dealerships on this topic of using their Charging Stations...  Don't be surprised however if you get questions from a sales person about your car... How do you like your car...? Want to buy a new one cause we want to buy yours... lol All part of the game for a FREE charge I guess...  ;)

Welcome to the forum DTSkyCop. There are a few more members from your area, make sure you check into the Arizona Region section of this board.  If you have any questions feel free to ask!

• 4 weeks later...

I have gone to what is admittedly the dealer where I purchased the car, but I have had lunch plans close by, and have asked them to have the spaces by the charger open.  Generally they just use those parking spaces for whatever they need to park.  If I go in and ask, they will move anything that they can.  If only there was a Ford dealer somewhere near my home...........

I have gone to what is admittedly the dealer where I purchased the car, but I have had lunch plans close by, and have asked them to have the spaces by the charger open.  Generally they just use those parking spaces for whatever they need to park.  If I go in and ask, they will move anything that they can.  If only there was a Ford dealer somewhere near my home...........

Depending on your electric rates it really is not that  expensive to charge your car. I am paying roughly $0.75 to charge my car. This allows my to go about ~20 miles which in my previous car cost me a almost a gallon of premium gas (at ~$4 (I got 21 mpg on average)).

• 7 months later...

My 2-cents... Echoing what other have said here, some Ford dealerships have chargers that are free for Ford vehicles, some don't.

When I'm working in one of our offices in San Diego, the closest dealership (Kearney Pearson Ford) has a charger that's "reserved for diagnostic use by the service department." The other charger is a Blink Network charger and the guy I spoke with in the service department said "if you want to charge, you have to pay."

Fair enough... and oh well, now I know where I'm not buying my next car. 

The dealership where I purchased my FFE (Tuttle Click's Capistrano Ford in San Juan Capistrano, CA) has said to "stop by any time to charge!"

I went to do a test drive at a local Ford dealer. They had 2 chargers, 1 being used by a sales guy, and was told I could use the other one. I plugged in during my test drive of a 2015 Mustang GT Performance pack (they paid me $50 to come in and do a test drive, so may as well drive a Mustang!).

When I went and unplugged my car, it was virtually no increase in charge, so they must have been 110v chargers.

I would suspect there is a difference between charging while doing business at the store and just leaving your car every day while you work.

I just purchased my Fusion Titanium Energi today.  The salesman, the finance manager and the service rep all told me I could come by anytime to charge my car.  Said I could wait in the lounge and enjoy the snacks, drinks they have while the car charges.  

Yep - When I first used the charger at the dealer they said they were happy to see someone using it! (Not enough EV sales in my area, I guess.) I've used it two or three times now, and there was one time where it was blocked by another car (non-EV) and I didn't ask them to move it.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: The Nissan in San Marcos, TX let me get a full charge no problem, AND invited me in for cookies, a Coke, and watch TV. Ok, I also got the Leaf pitch, but that was small price for a 2 hour charge. Class act all around, even when I stopped by 3 months later to do the same thing.

Neither of their two chargers were in use when I was there, I made sure to offer to move should a Leaf show up.